Pentagon Orders Stars And Stripes To Shut Down For No Good Reason

trump got a huge increase in military spending. The Stars and Strips is a minuscule part of the military budget.

Millions of our military depend on that paper for news from home.

I read that paper when I was in basic training.

This is how trump respects the military, the press and the first amendment.

I have no doubt he did say that those who were killed in action or wounded were losers and suckers. Nor do I doubt he couldn't understand the sacrifice people make for our nation.

Old news..he changed his mind....after all the backlash!

President Donald Trump on Friday reversed a decision to cut funding to Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has served American soldiers since the Civil War, tweeting that its publication would continue.

“The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch,” Trump tweeted on Friday. “It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!”
In a previously unpublicized recent memo cited by USA TODAY on Friday, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter the newspaper this month.

The decision to reverse course comes as the White House is facing criticism following a report in The Atlantic that details a history of Trump insulting members of the U.S. military who have been captured or killed. Trump and several of his senior aides have vehemently denied the story's accuracy.

ROTFLMAO! Now his supporters will do their patented 180 degree turn..now that their leader has given his imprimatur! Whiplash has got to be a real hazard..for the true Trump fan.

President Donald Trump on Friday reversed a decision to cut funding to Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has served American soldiers since the Civil War, tweeting that its publication would continue.

“The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch,” Trump tweeted on Friday. “It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!”
In a previously unpublicized recent memo cited by USA TODAY on Friday, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter the newspaper this month.

The decision to reverse course comes as the White House is facing criticism following a report in The Atlantic that details a history of Trump insulting members of the U.S. military who have been captured or killed. Trump and several of his senior aides have vehemently denied the story's accuracy.

One problem

Trump wasn't the one advocating closing the paper, it was the Pentagon.

Trump overruled them

This is good news. I had not seen any article about this.

Thank you very much.

I'm sickened that he even tried to shut that newspaper down.

I can't speak for today's basic training but when I went through it, that paper was the only source of information outside the base.

The fact that he tried to do it is disgusting and shows exactly the level of respect he has for our military, the press and the first amendment. Which is ZERO.

Even for those of us who are all too wearily familiar with President Donald Trump’s disdain for journalists, his administration’s latest attack on the free press is a bit of a jaw-dropper.

In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that “dissolves the Stars and Stripes” by Sept. 15 including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide.”

“The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020,” writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo’s author.

USA has zero free press
Our press is the most crooked and nefarious in the world

Stars and Stripes is an American military newspaper reporting on matters concerning the members of the United States Armed Forces. It operates from inside the Department of Defense, but is editorially separate from it, and its First Amendment protection is safeguarded by the United States Congress to whom an independent ombudsman, who serves the readers' interests, regularly reports. As well as a website, Stars and Stripes publishes four daily print editions for the military service members serving overseas; these European, Middle Eastern, Japanese, and South Korean editions are also available as free downloads in electronic format, and there are also seven digital editions.[1] The newspaper has its headquarters in Washington, D.C
"It operates from inside the Department of Defense, but is editorially separate from it" much like the USPS is "inside the" executive branch, but operates independently. Tiny budget well spent, unlike the vast majority of military crap.

ROTFLMAO! Now his supporters will do their patented 180 degree turn..now that their leader has given his imprimatur! Whiplash has got to be a real hazard..for the true Trump fan.
Nailed it. One can easily deduce the time when Trump completely changed his mind to within about an hour.
Shortly before this was released (Sept. 4, 2020 at 5:22 p.m. ET) :
It was reported early Friday, initially in a USA Today op-ed, that the Pentagon was ordering the all but immediate shutdown of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes, going so far as to call on the publication in a recent memo to map out a plan “for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide,” but, by late afternoon, President Donald Trump was disowning his administration’s move.
Prior to that he was clearly happy to let the Stars and Stripes die 'cause he was mad at the troops for not supporting him more. Poor baby.

Stars and Stripes have taken a hard left turn and are pushing social justice stories that are divisive....and we can't have that within the military....not to mention the fact that it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep it going and no one reads the rag anyway....what makes the OP think this is solely Trumps decision anyway?....
Social.justice isn't divisive to anyone that isn't a bigot.

I can hear necks cracking from here.

Even for those of us who are all too wearily familiar with President Donald Trump’s disdain for journalists, his administration’s latest attack on the free press is a bit of a jaw-dropper.

In a heretofore unpublicized recent memo, the Pentagon delivered an order to shutter Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that has been a lifeline and a voice for American troops since the Civil War. The memo orders the publisher of the news organization (which now publishes online as well as in print) to present a plan that “dissolves the Stars and Stripes” by Sept. 15 including "specific timeline for vacating government owned/leased space worldwide.”

“The last newspaper publication (in all forms) will be September 30, 2020,” writes Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., the memo’s author.

Updated. Now reads:
Hours after this column was published, the president announced via Twitter that he's reversing the decision to defund the Stars and Stripes.

This is good news. I had not seen any article about this.

Thank you very much.

I'm sickened that he even tried to shut that newspaper down.

I can't speak for today's basic training but when I went through it, that paper was the only source of information outside the base.

The fact that he tried to do it is disgusting and shows exactly the level of respect he has for our military, the press and the first amendment. Which is ZERO.
Zero Evidence that TRUMP wanted to shut down the paper.

Stars and Stripes have taken a hard left turn and are pushing social justice stories that are divisive....and we can't have that within the military....not to mention the fact that it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep it going and no one reads the rag anyway....what makes the OP think this is solely Trumps decision anyway?....
Social justice is just a nice way of saying hey whitey...we are coming for you now....its pay back time......and you know it.....

Free press lol
Wow are you a “sheeple “
What a joke about a "Free" press. IT is totally controlled by the FASCIST UBER RICH and is no better then the press of China or Russia.

A quote from a Powerful, UBER RICH Globalist tells the story.

"We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years." David Rockefeller 1991

Yes, the UBER RICH Globalists control the information flow and that is why there is so much FAKE NEWS!

THE END GAME: Rockefeller continues

The SUPRANATIONAL Sovereignty of the Intellectual Elite and World Bankers is surely preferable to the National Auto-Determination practiced in past centuries.

Social justice is just a nice way of saying hey whitey...we are coming for you now....its pay back time......and you know it.....
Ok, sorry. I should have said "only if you're a paranoid bigot".

My bad.

Forum List

Back