People of color

A little "chink" in your thinking there. WHY IS IT that face recognition struggles with recognizing black people? Wouldn't be GENETICALLY BASED would it?

Maybe they need a special "Afro-American" algorithm tweak? I've done face recognition before. If we did NOT recognize racial and ethnic differences the shit would have ZERO chance of being reliable.
No it's because White people program the FR software.

Or it could be that there's not enough contrast in darker skinned people facial skin tones for the computers to be accurate.

Hey.

It's rare I'm serious but excellent post. I say that very sincerely. The information you posted is scientifically correct. I work in the health care field and there are minor genetic differences that can affect health. For example, for hypertension beta blockers tend to work best for whites. Calicium channel blockers tend to work best for blacks. There are other examples, but human beings are overwhelmingly similar genetically. That's at least one reason why all the bullshit out there designed to divide us is so ridiculous.
People like flacaltenn and many like him ALWAYS want the debate to say stuck in the theory of it all but then they chicken out when it comes the doing part. They wimp out when it comes to the end goal bcoz they know they're gonna have to start talking sum real sh*t

OK. What should be done ? Let's get to the doing part

We already agree that people are different in more ways than just skin color and the SCIENCE has been that those differences DO have a bearing on diagnosis and treatment. It should be KEPT that way. And I for one will just RIDICULE any labcoat that thinks by renaming stuff -- that they're "healing" anything.

Other than that, we should be focusing on the ECONOMICAL and CULTURAL differences that have a BIGGER impact on the health of POC. And that's got nothing to DO with science or math.

It just means we all have to start NAGGING you about putting down all that stuff fried in lard and EATING YOUR VEGETABLES -- without a couple 20 ounce sugary drinks.. :wink:

We already agree that people are different in more ways than just skin color and the SCIENCE has been that those differences DO have a bearing on diagnosis and treatment. It should be KEPT that way. And I for one will just RIDICULE any labcoat that thinks by renaming stuff -- that they're "healing" anything.

Other than that, we should be focusing on the ECONOMICAL and CULTURAL differences that have a BIGGER impact on the health of POC. And that's got nothing to DO with science or math.

It just means we all have to start NAGGING you about putting down all that stuff fried in lard and EATING YOUR VEGETABLES -- without a couple 20 ounce sugary drinks.. :wink:
Food is racist.

Not sure about race, but there are definitely sub-groups of human beings that have certain genetic disposition. The one I am most familiar with is Ashkenazi Jews, who are more at risk for Tay-Sachs and Goucher disease, and also tend to be more myopic and have higher rates of retinal detachment (these two are related), higher than average IQs, and higher rates of breast cancer.

No it's because White people program the FR software.

Or it could be that there's not enough contrast in darker skinned people facial skin tones for the computers to be accurate.

It's WHITE PEOPLE'S Fault that multi-racial face recognition is hard? LOL..

It MORE than just the skin color dude. You ever seen an actor doing a real life take for an animatronic role in a movie -- with all those DOTS all over them?

Well that's the starting point for MOST ALL FaceRecog algorithms. So you TRAIN your algorithm with the "mostly white" people in high tech around you (NOT OUR FAULT) and it WORKS GREAT. Because those distances between dots are accurately found and lead to finding GREAT ENOUGH distinction between white people. But your accuracy for the other races in down 25% or more.

So you train on thousands of MIXED RACE -- and your black accuracy comes up a bit -- but your WHITE accuracy goes down by 10%.

WHY???

Because the points you chose to measure have TOO MUCH DIFFERENCE between races. That's why.. I leave it there unless you want the rest of that story. But to INCORPORATE ALL RACES into FaceRecog with the SAME algorithms and processing -- YOU MUST CHOOSE POINTS THAT ARE RACE RESILIENT and DONT vary widely between races and stop looking at hairlines or lips and such.

Believe it or not, we are all Africans.
We're all apes and dinosaurs and single-celled animals as well; it just all depends on how far back you want to go. And banana is our genetic cousin, you cannibal. Sorry, I couldn't and resist.

We're all apes and dinosaurs and single-celled animals as well; it just all depends on how far back you want to go. And banana is our genetic cousin, you cannibal. Sorry, I couldn't and resist.

That's drawing a long bow.

Are you one of those vegan freaks.

flacaltenn
We already agree that people are different in more ways than just skin color and the SCIENCE has been that those differences DO have a bearing on diagnosis and treatment.

Once again. You going back to telling me what people are. Let's talk about what should be done.

flacaltenn
It should be KEPT that way. And I for one will just RIDICULE any labcoat that thinks by renaming stuff -- that they're "healing" anything.

Once again. You going back to telling me what people are., Let's talk about what should be done

flacaltenn
Other than that, we should be focusing on the ECONOMICAL and CULTURAL differences that have a BIGGER impact on the health of POC.

What do you mean ? Look. Talk direct. Don't be scared. Talk like the way you talk when there are no black people around. Just bring it. You are being to scared and wishy washy.

flacaltenn
It just means we all have to start NAGGING you about putting down all that stuff fried in lard and EATING YOUR VEGETABLES -- without a couple 20 ounce sugary drinks.

What are you on about ?

Watermelon is healthy. I eat it almost daily. Hope I'm not appropriating someone's culture
You can only appropriate one culture, assuming there are only two races. Either the culture of people of color or the culture of whites.

Forum List

Back