🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

People's Respect Toward Authority Figures

EverCurious- Ok, I promise you that I absolutely did NOT copy/plagiarize ANYTHING from your paper. That's really wrong and would most likely get me kicked out of school and the IB program (which I really want to stay in because I want a great college to go to). That said, I really liked your ideas! I came onto this site to look for other perspectives on this case and basically to see what other people thought like because not everyone thinks like I do. I wanted the multi-perspective on it, if that makes any sense.

No problem at all. I love that you've gone out looking for other perspectives. Trying to understand an issue from all angles is a skill that will also serve you very well as you go through life so do keep it up.

Also, if it's not too much to ask, let us know how you do on your paper :)

I would advise the young student to avoid this place like the plague.

I would also advise the young student to take advantage of the fact that your instructor is motivated by dealing with motivated students. Your desire to learn and interest in what your instructor has to say will, in the end, impact your grade more than the path you take regarding an essay.
With that advice I agree she should avoid you like the plague. The teacher said she will not be graded on her opinion...she will be graded on how she presents HER opinion.

LOL, Deltex, I never bother to look at his stuff unless someone else quotes him like you did. Your comeback was spot on and hilarious.

And your advice has been great for our young member. There's not much to add to what you've told her. :)

Hi I'm new here but I am writing an essay for high school about the Ferguson shooting or the shooting where Police Officer Wilson shot Michael Brown, killing him. I have my opinion that racial relations in the US have been improving but not nearly enough so that racism is gone. Also, to me, this case says that people's respect toward authority figures, such as the police, has gone downhill. I suppose that to some people, when police enforce the laws, the people end up resenting them, hence the protests and vandalism. As for this case, I think that is an excessive use of force depending on which side you look at. From the police officer's side, it would not be because he must have believed that he was just enforcing the law. Although, from the majority black community, I believe that they think it is excessive because their story is so much more different than that of the police officer. So that is just my opinion but if anyone else could give me some more information on this or even their views, it would be greatly appreciated. If I was unclear about anything, please tell me. Thanks everyone!

Back before they were worshiped as gods among men, not so long ago, a skeptical eye was kept on authority figures. Cops were considered a semi-necessary evil to be at best tolerated, certainly not to be willingly engaged in conversation. Politicians were recognized as the rent seekers and petty thieves that they are.

deltex1- Congrats about your grandson! You must be really proud! He must have worked super hard to get where he is today!! For high school, I'm aiming to be valedictorian of my class and achieve lots!!

asaratis- I agree that a few questions a kind of vague in what they are asking (which I asked my teacher about today) and she explained that she wanted to see what I could do without any help from her...which is not really explaining anything...so I just said some things about how many bullets were shot and that it might have been partly due to racism but I don't know yet since all the facts aren't out yet. As for the punch that Brown gave Wilson, that was only from the police's account I think...

EverCurious- When I receive my paper back, I will post my grade:)

JWBooth- I am not surprised at the way the views of cops have changed... but I think politicians have stayed the same...Thanks for the info, by the way!

deltex1- Congrats about your grandson! You must be really proud! He must have worked super hard to get where he is today!! For high school, I'm aiming to be valedictorian of my class and achieve lots!!

asaratis- I agree that a few questions a kind of vague in what they are asking (which I asked my teacher about today) and she explained that she wanted to see what I could do without any help from her...which is not really explaining anything...so I just said some things about how many bullets were shot and that it might have been partly due to racism but I don't know yet since all the facts aren't out yet. As for the punch that Brown gave Wilson, that was only from the police's account I think...

EverCurious- When I receive my paper back, I will post my grade:)

JWBooth- I am not surprised at the way the views of cops have changed... but I think politicians have stayed the same...Thanks for the info, by the way!
Are you ignoring the fact that the officer was injured?

There's another thread floating around here somewhere wherein I hypothesized about the number of shots. In short, I said....Wilson was dazed and disoriented by the blow to his cheek, this affected his hand/eye coordination (aim), a few shots missed center mass(striking the charging Brown in the arm), officer Wilson fired until the victim fell.

It is not uncommon for a police officer to empty his weapon into a charging perp. Officers are trained to protect themselves. It has nothing to do with racism. Wait until you here Wilson's testimony before tagging him with racism.

JWBooth- Thanks for the links:)

asaratis- I read somewhere that Wilson only thought that Brown was charging at him (which is apparently why he fired). But I will wait to hear Wilson's testimony before saying that he shot out of racism...

I turned in my paper today:) Thanks again for everything everyone!! You've all helped me soooooo much!!

A key piece of evidence is the hand graze wound. It could only have happened with thumb pointing towards the gun. That shows his hands were down to the side when the last 4 shots struck him.

A key piece of evidence is the hand graze wound. It could only have happened with thumb pointing towards the gun. That shows his hands were down to the side when the last 4 shots struck him.
On the autopsy diagram showing the wounds, it appears that NONE of them could have been inflicted with the perp in the "hands up" posture. I posit that the "eye-witnesses" were more driven by what they heard than what they actually saw. One sympathetic brother said that his hands were up and that he was shot in the back...the word spread quickly and other "eye witnesses" came forward saying the same thing. Then the chant begins.....! Rumors spread! Facts are ignored! Then the crowd cries, "Crucify him!" Then people watching TV coverage see these goof balls interviewed by viewer-seeking "reporters" on a viewer-seeking network show, anchored by a viewer-seeking, well made up celebrity news caster....and they make up their minds that no investigation is necessary.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here but I am writing an essay for high school about the Ferguson shooting or the shooting where Police Officer Wilson shot Michael Brown, killing him. I have my opinion that racial relations in the US have been improving but not nearly enough so that racism is gone. Also, to me, this case says that people's respect toward authority figures, such as the police, has gone downhill. I suppose that to some people, when police enforce the laws, the people end up resenting them, hence the protests and vandalism. As for this case, I think that is an excessive use of force depending on which side you look at. From the police officer's side, it would not be because he must have believed that he was just enforcing the law. Although, from the majority black community, I believe that they think it is excessive because their story is so much more different than that of the police officer. So that is just my opinion but if anyone else could give me some more information on this or even their views, it would be greatly appreciated. If I was unclear about anything, please tell me. Thanks everyone!
Having been around a lot longer than you, I think I can say with some confidence, that the lower socioeconomic classes have never had much respect for authority. There has always been some incident like the Ferguson shooting that would indicate that people have lost respect for authority.
Perhaps true...but that loss of respect should be based on facts...the truth...not the usual stereotypes.

True enough ,but then humans do what humans do.

I know this is really late but my teacher had a lot of essays to grade. Anyway, my grade for the Ferguson essay was......a 40 out of 40!!!!!!!!!! Thanks soooo much for everyone's help!! She really enjoyed my essay and even asked me to pull up this forum in class!! Thanks again everyone!!!

I know this is really late but my teacher had a lot of essays to grade. Anyway, my grade for the Ferguson essay was......a 40 out of 40!!!!!!!!!! Thanks soooo much for everyone's help!! She really enjoyed my essay and even asked me to pull up this forum in class!! Thanks again everyone!!!
Congratulations!

Can you post your essay here so we may see it?

stop..... .... this

big government has all the answers in a nanny state

that is the answer she wants

you might have to word it up a bit though

Here is my essay:

On August 9, 2014, an unspeakable tragedy befell Ferguson, Missouri, that the residents would likely never forget. Michael Brown, an unarmed eighteen year old African American man and his African Americn friend, Dorian Johnson, were jaywalking when they were told by a white police officer, named Darren Wilson, to get on the sidewalk. According to police reports, as Brown refused and words were then exchanged between Wilson and Brown, the latter allegedly punched the Ferguson officer and went for the gun Wilson carried. Brown and Johnson then fled when a shot was fired with Wilson in pursuit of the two African American men. Brown then stopped "about 30 feet away and put his hands in the air, shouting 'Don't shoot!'". Unfortunately, officer Darren Wilson shot anyway, regardless of Brown's pleas because "Brown had lowered his arms and moved toward [Wilson]" and "fearing that [Brown] was going to attack him, [Wilson] decided to use deadly force." Brown was killed and an autopsy report revealed that "Brown was shot six times, including twice in the head." Although, according to Brown's friend and eyewitness, Dorian Johnson, the scene played out differently. Apparently, Wilson pulled up to the two men and said, "Get the f*** on the sidewalk" to which Dorian responded that they were close to their destination so they would be off the street soon. At that, Wilson drove forward, leaving the two men, then abruptly backed up, positioning his police automobile so that it almost hit the two men. In his interview, Dorian stated, "We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike's body and closed back on the officer." Wilson then apparently snatched at Brown through the window in his police car and had Brown in a chokehold, which Brown tried to escape, without ever reaching for Wilson's gun or assaulting Wilson in any way. As this struggle progressed, Wilson drew his gun and fired, hitting Brown, who then freed himself and turned to flee with Dorian. Wilson then exited the vehicle and fired rounds at the fleeing pair. At that, Brown turned around and stated, "I don't have a gun. Stop shooting!" Wilson responded to Brown's plea by filling Brown's body with lead, killing him.
Weeks after the shooting that killed Brown, these two sides to the story emerged instigating unrest in this suburb of St. Louis. Due to racial tensions between the primarily black community and primarily white city government and police force, "protests, vandalism, lootings and other forms of social unrest continued for more than a week." Race relations in the United States today are a little less unsteady than they were decades ago, as Americans are moving towards the ideal America that Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed about. In truth, there was slavery back then, but there is still slavery in American today. Slavery be definition is "a person who has lost self-control and is dominated by something or someone." Though the slavery today is not physical, many white people have been merciless in their attempts to degrade and dominate over African Americans. And even though people should be graded on he "content of their character" and The Declaration of Independence states that "All men are created with certain unalienable rights. Among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", in America, today, it is shown that those words are still not true because many people just can not seem to overlook differences. "Fifty years after the Civil Rights Act, we still have two societies, separate and unequal. Young black men grow up being stopped and frisked by cops for no reason at all, attend 'inferior schools', and cope with a bleak job market, low wages, and a criminal justice system that treats them more harshly thank whites." Many areas in the United States still believe in prejudice and are too stubborn to change their ways so that America as a whole can't move forward.
This is why the amount of respect that many towns and cities give police officers has dwindled so quickly. Except in the most heinous cases of offenses and wrongdoings from police officers, most juries tend to side with the police officers because they are police officers and perhaps in part due to race. This gives police officers a lot of leniency, while it strips the opposing side of rights. Juries are not supposed to be and not allowed to be biased because if a black man can not be treated and looked at as an equal next to a white man in court, there is no point for that court to exist because one person has an upper hand. People's respect toward authority figures, particularly police, has diminished considerably because many people involved in the Ferguson case- mainly the black community- and anyone else who can relate are all looking for a city government and a police force with people who know "the appropriate use of force" and are motivated "to ensure fair and equal treatment for everyone who comes into contact with the police." In this situation though, respect to authority figures factors in because Brown and Dorian perhaps would not have been jaywalking at the beginning if they respected police officers who they knew and believed would lay down the law. And for the last few moments in his life, Brown respected the police officer, out of fear perhaps, but the officer then killed him, whether out of fear or anger has yet to be uncovered. When Brown "stopped about 30 feet away and put his hands in the air, shouting, 'Don't shoot' [he] was gunned down by a pursuing Wilson anyway." The way that Brown thought Wilson would stop firing at them meant that he trusted Wilson to not shoot an unarmed man. Clearly, Brown's judgment was wrong but that thought did stem from respect. And while it remains to be seen if Wilson shot Brown out of anger or fear, this incident has made many people decrease their respect toward the police.
In this situation, an excessive amount of force and perhaps a bit of racism was indeed used. For example, autopsy reports showed that Brown was shot a total of six times, including twice in the head. That is an excessive and ridiculous amount of lead to shoot into an unarmed person, regardless of age or race. It has yet to be determined if Wilson shot Brown due to race, but allegedly, Wilson was afraid that the young African American was going to try to attack him, so Wilson claimed to have shot Brown out of self-defense. But still, Wilson must have wanted to make absolute sure that Brown was dead, hence the excessive number of shots he fired at Brown.
These incidents happen quite frequently and often times, a lot more than anyone would like, because this is where America has tried to fix itself and failed. Racism played as big a part back then as it does today because the power people receive from dominating over someone, to own someone is all too appealing for many Americans to resist. People need to realize that it's not right and that blacks are equal to whites. In this specific situation, Wilson surely felt that Brown was lower than he was, or maybe he envied Brown, and shot him, even when Brown had his hands in the air to indicate his surrender. And as often as people are gunned down like this, the people in America always fail to learn from these occurrences. To move even one step closer to Dr. King's dream of equal rights for all, it takes a nation and everyone in that nation to move forward and make a choice to come together, not as black people and white people, or slaves and slave drivers, or African American and Caucasian, but as people striving toward one goal.

So uh, yeah that's my essay. Also, keep in mind that this is just my opinion, so I hope that everyone understands that. But thanks again for all the help!

Here is my essay:

On August 9, 2014, an unspeakable tragedy befell Ferguson, Missouri, that the residents would likely never forget. Michael Brown, an unarmed eighteen year old African American man and his African Americn friend, Dorian Johnson, were jaywalking when they were told by a white police officer, named Darren Wilson, to get on the sidewalk. According to police reports, as Brown refused and words were then exchanged between Wilson and Brown, the latter allegedly punched the Ferguson officer and went for the gun Wilson carried. Brown and Johnson then fled when a shot was fired with Wilson in pursuit of the two African American men. Brown then stopped "about 30 feet away and put his hands in the air, shouting 'Don't shoot!'". Unfortunately, officer Darren Wilson shot anyway, regardless of Brown's pleas because "Brown had lowered his arms and moved toward [Wilson]" and "fearing that [Brown] was going to attack him, [Wilson] decided to use deadly force." Brown was killed and an autopsy report revealed that "Brown was shot six times, including twice in the head." Although, according to Brown's friend and eyewitness, Dorian Johnson, the scene played out differently. Apparently, Wilson pulled up to the two men and said, "Get the f*** on the sidewalk" to which Dorian responded that they were close to their destination so they would be off the street soon. At that, Wilson drove forward, leaving the two men, then abruptly backed up, positioning his police automobile so that it almost hit the two men. In his interview, Dorian stated, "We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike's body and closed back on the officer." Wilson then apparently snatched at Brown through the window in his police car and had Brown in a chokehold, which Brown tried to escape, without ever reaching for Wilson's gun or assaulting Wilson in any way. As this struggle progressed, Wilson drew his gun and fired, hitting Brown, who then freed himself and turned to flee with Dorian. Wilson then exited the vehicle and fired rounds at the fleeing pair. At that, Brown turned around and stated, "I don't have a gun. Stop shooting!" Wilson responded to Brown's plea by filling Brown's body with lead, killing him.
Weeks after the shooting that killed Brown, these two sides to the story emerged instigating unrest in this suburb of St. Louis. Due to racial tensions between the primarily black community and primarily white city government and police force, "protests, vandalism, lootings and other forms of social unrest continued for more than a week." Race relations in the United States today are a little less unsteady than they were decades ago, as Americans are moving towards the ideal America that Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed about. In truth, there was slavery back then, but there is still slavery in American today. Slavery be definition is "a person who has lost self-control and is dominated by something or someone." Though the slavery today is not physical, many white people have been merciless in their attempts to degrade and dominate over African Americans. And even though people should be graded on he "content of their character" and The Declaration of Independence states that "All men are created with certain unalienable rights. Among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", in America, today, it is shown that those words are still not true because many people just can not seem to overlook differences. "Fifty years after the Civil Rights Act, we still have two societies, separate and unequal. Young black men grow up being stopped and frisked by cops for no reason at all, attend 'inferior schools', and cope with a bleak job market, low wages, and a criminal justice system that treats them more harshly thank whites." Many areas in the United States still believe in prejudice and are too stubborn to change their ways so that America as a whole can't move forward.
This is why the amount of respect that many towns and cities give police officers has dwindled so quickly. Except in the most heinous cases of offenses and wrongdoings from police officers, most juries tend to side with the police officers because they are police officers and perhaps in part due to race. This gives police officers a lot of leniency, while it strips the opposing side of rights. Juries are not supposed to be and not allowed to be biased because if a black man can not be treated and looked at as an equal next to a white man in court, there is no point for that court to exist because one person has an upper hand. People's respect toward authority figures, particularly police, has diminished considerably because many people involved in the Ferguson case- mainly the black community- and anyone else who can relate are all looking for a city government and a police force with people who know "the appropriate use of force" and are motivated "to ensure fair and equal treatment for everyone who comes into contact with the police." In this situation though, respect to authority figures factors in because Brown and Dorian perhaps would not have been jaywalking at the beginning if they respected police officers who they knew and believed would lay down the law. And for the last few moments in his life, Brown respected the police officer, out of fear perhaps, but the officer then killed him, whether out of fear or anger has yet to be uncovered. When Brown "stopped about 30 feet away and put his hands in the air, shouting, 'Don't shoot' [he] was gunned down by a pursuing Wilson anyway." The way that Brown thought Wilson would stop firing at them meant that he trusted Wilson to not shoot an unarmed man. Clearly, Brown's judgment was wrong but that thought did stem from respect. And while it remains to be seen if Wilson shot Brown out of anger or fear, this incident has made many people decrease their respect toward the police.
In this situation, an excessive amount of force and perhaps a bit of racism was indeed used. For example, autopsy reports showed that Brown was shot a total of six times, including twice in the head. That is an excessive and ridiculous amount of lead to shoot into an unarmed person, regardless of age or race. It has yet to be determined if Wilson shot Brown due to race, but allegedly, Wilson was afraid that the young African American was going to try to attack him, so Wilson claimed to have shot Brown out of self-defense. But still, Wilson must have wanted to make absolute sure that Brown was dead, hence the excessive number of shots he fired at Brown.
These incidents happen quite frequently and often times, a lot more than anyone would like, because this is where America has tried to fix itself and failed. Racism played as big a part back then as it does today because the power people receive from dominating over someone, to own someone is all too appealing for many Americans to resist. People need to realize that it's not right and that blacks are equal to whites. In this specific situation, Wilson surely felt that Brown was lower than he was, or maybe he envied Brown, and shot him, even when Brown had his hands in the air to indicate his surrender. And as often as people are gunned down like this, the people in America always fail to learn from these occurrences. To move even one step closer to Dr. King's dream of equal rights for all, it takes a nation and everyone in that nation to move forward and make a choice to come together, not as black people and white people, or slaves and slave drivers, or African American and Caucasian, but as people striving toward one goal.

So uh, yeah that's my essay. Also, keep in mind that this is just my opinion, so I hope that everyone understands that. But thanks again for all the help!
Let me guess....you are black and your teacher is black. Am I right?

If you got a perfect score on that essay, the above almost has to be the case. Your teacher has been previously dumbed down, you are being dumbed down and there is little that can be done about that. I attribute that to a longstanding cultural problem. The obvious bias in your essay stands out.

Your reliance on hearsay regarding the incident is also obvious. However, what you wrote is what your teacher wanted to see and you have thereby enhanced your standing in her class by agreeing with the racial hatred she apparently promotes.

I would have graded your essay C- or lower, based on what is known at this time. Until we are presented with all of the FACTS and investigatory reports regarding the incident, there is no justification for claiming what you did. With the evidence that has been presented thus far, I would conclude that there is no justification for aligning with either side. Your teacher apparently does not agree with that.

Congratulations on getting a perfect score. Please don't allow that to convince you that your teacher is brilliant. Teaching you that bias based upon race is cool is not cool.

Here is my essay:

Decent creative fiction writing.

If that is your opinion on the case then you have to occasionally check the accuracy of your own knowledge and experience.

Forum List

Back