Pete Rose Formally Petitions MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred for Reinstatement

Can't agree on this one Jake. Pete Rose was one of the best players to ever put on a uniform and his attitude alone served as immeasurable inspiration to arguably millions.

The whole denial of the HoF is complete political posturing and has nothing to do with his accomplishments, which are sitting right there in the record books whether anybody likes who set them or not. If they want to pretend the HoF is some kind of moral award, they'll need to kick out a bunch of others already in there - like Ty Cobb.

But that's not what HoF status is, and it's completely disingenuous to pretend it is.

• Banned
The ban does have to do with his accomplishments: his breaking the rules outweigh his stats. His induction wait for him to RIP.

Long over due
Let Rose in

I would let Pete Rose in the hall of fame before Bud Selig

The ban does have to do with his accomplishments: his breaking the rules outweigh his stats. His induction wait for him to RIP.

Maybe it comes down to this: they're not related things. Whatever he did with gambling does not take away those hits. Both exist. You can acknowledge one and disdain the other.

That's how I see it.

Perhaps it comes down to this question -- what is baseball for?
Is it for a friendly competition of sport where limits of human endurance, tenacity, agility and quick reflexes are tried and tested? Or is it a list of boy scouts who didn't gamble, because that would be bad for business?

Aye, there's the rub.

Can't agree on this one Jake. Pete Rose was one of the best players to ever put on a uniform and his attitude alone served as immeasurable inspiration to arguably millions.

The whole denial of the HoF is complete political posturing and has nothing to do with his accomplishments, which are sitting right there in the record books whether anybody likes who set them or not. If they want to pretend the HoF is some kind of moral award, they'll need to kick out a bunch of others already in there - like Ty Cobb.

But that's not what HoF status is, and it's completely disingenuous to pretend it is.

Having been raised close to Cincy, Pete Rose was MY hero as a kid. I wanted to be a ball player just like him.

Having been raised close to Cincy, Pete Rose was MY hero as a kid. I wanted to be a ball player just like him.

He unarguably changed the game. Watch old films from before he came up in '63 -- there was no such thing as the head-first slide. He brought that in, and now it's standard.

I recall he'd run to first base when drawing a walk too. Everything about his attitude was just full of life.

Ultimately HoF status isn't supposed to be about what you did after your playing career; it's supposed to be about what you did during it.

He has done his time. Steroid infused assholes can be inducted to the HOF, but not Rose.

By gambling, it is suggested that Pete Rose might cheat

Those using steroids did cheat. So did the commisioner and the owners in making obscene profits off of pumped up players

He unarguably changed the game. Watch old films from before he came up in '63 -- there was no such thing as the head-first slide. He brought that in, and now it's standard.

I recall he'd run to first base when drawing a walk too. Everything about his attitude was just full of life.

Ultimately HoF status isn't supposed to be about what you did after your playing career; it's supposed to be about what you did during it.
No, Rose was a playing manager so what he did he did as both a player and manager which makes his gambling even worse. The sanctions were correct, but we can argue that his time has been served.

He has done his time. Steroid infused assholes can be inducted to the HOF, but not Rose.

Those using steroids did cheat. So did the commisioner and the owners in making obscene profits off of pumped up players
There is a great deal of difference on a manager than a player because of the power managers have. Choosing the wrong reliever to face a hitter or calling plays which could change to outcome of the game depending on which team you gambled on presents an unacceptable conflict of interest which no one else has to that extent.

The biggest problem I have with MLB not reinstating rose is that it's all but documented fact that they looked the other way when players were juicing, because it helped the sport itself recover from the negative consequences of the strike and revived its popularity.. Ultimately making it more MONEY.

But rose is forever branded with a scarlet A.

It's kind of ridiculous.

No, Rose was a playing manager so what he did he did as both a player and manager which makes his gambling even worse. The sanctions were correct, but we can argue that his time has been served.

Only a player-manager for a brief period at the end, and I believe by the time of the gambling wasn't playing any more anyway. Doesn't really matter; it's for what you do on the field, not off it. They're still separate issues.

We can agree time has been served but I'm not sure keeping him out of the HoF was ever justified. Ban him from baseball activities, for all I care keep that intact. They did that IIRC with Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle. But the HoF is just simply a separate issue. When you say "you can't be in the HoF not because your performance didn't justify it but because you embarrassed us", you're in effect saying "this is our tree house club and you can't come in". It's just dishonest.

There is a great deal of difference on a manager than a player because of the power managers have. Choosing the wrong reliever to face a hitter or calling plays which could change to outcome of the game depending on which team you gambled on presents an unacceptable conflict of interest which no one else has to that extent.

I don't believe there's any evidence he ever bet against his own team. That would be inexcusable - not to mention completely out of character.

Certainly he's in a position to know something about some third-party team that would give his bets an unfair advantage, that's bad enough. But he never did a Black Sox.

Use steroids and you get an asterisk

Use drugs and you pay a fine and serve some suspension time

Beat up your girlfriend and you're back in a car in a few weeks

Place abet and you're scarred for life

:clap2:

The biggest problem I have with MLB not reinstating rose is that it's all but documented fact that they looked the other way when players were juicing, because it helped the sport itself recover from the negative consequences of the strike and revived its popularity.. Ultimately making it more MONEY.

But rose is forever branded with a scarlet A.

It's kind of ridiculous.
Owners and the league made record profits off of bogus home runs. And they condemn Rose for "cheating"

I don't even see where the mlb has any jurisdiction to say rose can't be in the hall of fame. The hall is a private organization not controlled by mlb. If the writers want to vote for him, I don't really see how the MLB can stop that.

Umm bro what what you're apparently too stupid to understand is pete rose hurt the integrity of MLB by gambling on the sport while he was in his position as skipper. Putting him in the hall would be like honoring Rob Blagojevich for a career of public service. Rose violated the most sacred trust you can violate. He gets no sympathy from smart people. The man was bad for game and deserves nothing but scorn. He can't even own up to what he did for Christ sake.

Umm bro what what you're apparently too stupid too understand is pete rose hurt the integrity of MLB by gambling on the sport while he was in his position as skipper. Putting him in the hall would be like honoring Rob Blagojevich for a career of public service. Rose violated the most sacred trust you can violate. He gets no sympathy from smart people. The man was bad for game and deserves nothing but scorn. He can't even own up to what he did for Christ sake.

Ummm bro what you're apparently too stupid to understand is that Pete Rose (we capitalize proper names in English) had a short and undistinguished career as a manager and wasn't going to a HoF for that at all. What he did as a player however is what you end up in the Hall for. Keeping him out of the Hall for reasons having nothing to do with that performance is just denialism, and undermines the whole reason for having a Hall in the first place.

Forum List

Back