photo of the Oval Office 3/9/50

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
I never knew about the renovations at the White House from 1949 to 1952

second-floor-study_2494436k.jpg

Slide show

Harry and Bess Truman moved back into the White House the day my sister was born. 3/27/52

And, that was after they'd survived an organized assassination attempt by Puerto Rican nationalist's while staying at Blair House.

Sounds like one of those crazy Conspiracy Theories. :uhoh3:

Nope, 'fraid not:

Truman Library - Assassination Attempt

Carter let the shooter out of jail so he could go home ? :eusa_eh:

Yes, Carter pardoned him in 1979, along with a few other Puerto Rican nationalists who were in prison at the time, some of whom had opened fire on the US House of Representatives during a floor debate in 1954. All of them were eligible for parole, including Collazo who had been eligible for 10 years, but none of them wished to apply for it as a political statement. That, in effect, made them martyrs.

Why? I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with trying to get Cuba to release some prisoners we wanted back.

I guess everything in the Oval Office has been video taped for a couple of decades. How would you like to see Monica delivering pizza and Bill chasing her around with his pants down?

second-floor-study_2494436k.jpg

Slide show

Not really a surprise that you didn't know about it. Likely didn't know foreigners tried to kill Truman. But then your ignorance isn't that much of a secret is it?

Puerto Ricans are not "Foreigners", but then your ignorance isn't that much of a secret is it?

Slide show

Not really a surprise that you didn't know about it. Likely didn't know foreigners tried to kill Truman. But then your ignorance isn't that much of a secret is it?

Puerto Ricans are not "Foreigners", but then your ignorance isn't that much of a secret is it?

Legal citizenship don't completely remove the "foreigner" tag as a practical matter from the set that rejects US law and claims other nationality, d'ye see? Puerto Rican nationality, for example.

Likely the 'state of mind' thing - e.g. self declared foreign national - is a little bit subtle for them that applauded sophomoric hijinks like "Mission Accomplished" and them that still believes a real conservative could triple the national debt in eight years in peacetime. Not sure "ignorant" is the right word for people that lost in emotional wilderness... Delusional is probably closer.

On a lighter note, exploring history can be interesting.

Last edited:

Legal citizenship don't completely remove the "foreigner" tag as a practical matter from the set that rejects US law and claims other nationality, d'ye see? Puerto Rican nationality, for example.

Likely the 'state of mind' thing - e.g. self declared foreign national - is a little bit subtle for them that applauded sophomoric hijinks like "Mission Accomplished" and them that still believes a real conservative could triple the national debt in eight years in peacetime. Not sure "ignorant" is the right word for people that lost in emotional wilderness... Delusional is probably closer.

Just because Puerto Ricans may speak a different language and have a Spanish heritage doesn't make them any less American than you or I. They have fraught and died in every American war with 5 congressional metal of honor winners, and they aren't even a state.

Carter let the shooter out of jail so he could go home ? :eusa_eh:

Yes, Carter pardoned him in 1979, along with a few other Puerto Rican nationalists who were in prison at the time, some of whom had opened fire on the US House of Representatives during a floor debate in 1954. All of them were eligible for parole, including Collazo who had been eligible for 10 years, but none of them wished to apply for it as a political statement. That, in effect, made them martyrs.

Why? I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with trying to get Cuba to release some prisoners we wanted back.

Bill Clinton pardoned the entire FALN Puerto Rican terrorist gang who were doing time in NY state prison in order to get a couple of votes from the radical hispanic democrat base for his wife's carpetbagger senate run.

Piss poor job of rationalizing your ignorance. Congratulations.

Just because Puerto Ricans may speak a different language and have a Spanish heritage doesn't make them any less American than you or I. They have fraught and died in every American war with 5 congressional metal of honor winners, and they aren't even a state.

I get it, Flopper. Served with Puerto Ricans proud to be citizens.

The original point - having a little fun here - was THESE PARTICULAR Puerto Ricans rejected US hegemony over Puerto Rico, viewed themselves as foreign nationals, and for good measure tried to kill Truman who was himself in favor of PR self determination.

Piss poor job of rationalizing your ignorance. Congratulations.

Thank you for your insights, Ern. Always a pleasure bringing out the best in people. It's a gift.

Forum List

Back