Phyllis George RIP

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Anyone else remember her ?
She was a former Miss America (1971), but was mostly known for her THE NFL TODAY work.

Phyllis George, former Miss America and "NFL Today" broadcaster, has died at age 70

Phyllis George, the former Miss America who became a female sportscasting pioneer on CBS' "The NFL Today," has died. She was 70.

A family spokeswoman said George died Thursday at a Lexington hospital after a long fight with a blood disorder.

Her children, Lincoln Tyler George Brown and CNN White House correspondent Pamela Ashley Brown, released a joint statement, saying:

She was a former Miss America (1971), but was mostly known for her THE NFL TODAY work.

Phyllis George, former Miss America and "NFL Today" broadcaster, has died at age 70

Phyllis George, the former Miss America who became a female sportscasting pioneer on CBS' "The NFL Today," has died. She was 70.

A family spokeswoman said George died Thursday at a Lexington hospital after a long fight with a blood disorder.

Her children, Lincoln Tyler George Brown and CNN White House correspondent Pamela Ashley Brown, released a joint statement, saying:

Yes, I remember her on the CBS NFL show in the late 70's and early 80's. The rare example of a female broadcaster in a sea of of old men. :)
I remember once she and Jimmy the Greek were on the same show. Thinking back on it now, I'm wondering what George was thinking as he was staring at her?

Vaguely, only because I thought it was odd to see a female interviewer.

Regardless, RIP.

She was supposedly a groundbreaker in the 70s giving a “woman’s view” to the NFL

Rather than hire a woman who understood football they hired a former Miss America to ask questions. Her questions were superficial and often just silly.

I think she put the woman’s movement back.

Forum List

Back