Please comment on a neighbor's remark

Canuck

Rookie
Dec 3, 2014
At a social gathering in Michigan, I asked a neighbor who was fuming about Ferguson why she thought racial tensions were so high in the States. Her response shocked me but did not shock anyone else. She said, "There are two types of black people... ones that have a sense of entitlement because of slavery and ones that don't." Nobody blinked an eye but my mouth fell open! Isn't that a blatantly racist comment?

There is a lot of truth in that statement, though i dont think you can catagorize all black people simply into 2 types of people. Often times generalized statements like that arent supposed to be taken literally though. Im sure if you pressed her with some other examles, she would have agreed that there are more than 2 types of black people. That statement is not racist. She might be, but making that statement is not.

At a social gathering in Michigan, I asked a neighbor who was fuming about Ferguson why she thought racial tensions were so high in the States. Her response shocked me but did not shock anyone else. She said, "There are two types of black people... ones that have a sense of entitlement because of slavery and ones that don't." Nobody blinked an eye but my mouth fell open! Isn't that a blatantly racist comment?

Why?

It's a generalization and not completely accurate, but I wouldn't call it racist

I guess it's a safe assumption that there were no black people at this social gathering. At least not in earshot.

Looked at closely though, those two types apply to literally everybody.

Or as one wise wag once said,
"There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and those who do not".

Forum List

Back