Plex Media Server

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
...anyone else using Plex?
All kinds of awesomeness. The ability to watch any movies, music etc. from the computer to any device on the network is just too cool.
I have a ripped DVD library of about 70 movies on my Linux PC that I am running Plex on...watching any of these on any device in any room - without any loss in video quality?
Oh yeah.
Not to mention the 1500plus MP3's that I still have from the old Napster days, and the 70 or so I have purchased...on any device...even remotely...heh.

I have a large DVD collection but if I want to watch em I just stick one in the optical drive. I don't download music or movies, rarely use my smart phone to surf the internet and don't have an i-pad (or non-Apple equivilent) so it's not something I'd be interested in. Hell, I don't even sync any of my accounts, text on the phone and I rarely even check my e-mail.

I have a large DVD collection but if I want to watch em I just stick one in the optical drive. I don't download music or movies, rarely use my smart phone to surf the internet and don't have an i-pad (or non-Apple equivilent) so it's not something I'd be interested in. Hell, I don't even sync any of my accounts, text on the phone and I rarely even check my e-mail.

I have two kids in college...my son has an XBox.
I pay for HuluPlus/Netflix.
Within Plex, I can move these channels to the "shared library"...I have the Linux PC setup with a global static IP with port forwarding on the router. He can watch all the movies I have, and the channels - 100 miles away on his XBox.
With the cut in hours from Obamacare that all students have had happen to them, no way can he afford a cable bill.
Nice.
Legal? - I have read the license on Netflix, you are allowed to stream on any two "non-pc" devices that YOU own. I bought the Xbox...ok a little gray...Hulu - no doubt, only one device can stream at a time...soooo..:redface:

Within Plex, I can move these channels to the "shared library"...I have the Linux PC setup with a global static IP with port forwarding on the router. He can watch all the movies I have, and the channels - 100 miles away on his XBox.
With the cut in hours from Obamacare that all students have had happen to them, no way can he afford a cable bill.
Nice.
Legal? - I have read the license on Netflix, you are allowed to stream on any two "non-pc" devices that YOU own. I bought the Xbox...ok a little gray...Hulu - no doubt, only one device can stream at a time...soooo..:redface:
I have two cats and they're not interested........... :lol:

Nice.
I have two cats and they're not interested........... :lol:

One of the interesting features in Plex is this "friend invite" option.
I can place any movie(s) I have in a share folder, choose an invite option with a name and password. You would go to the Plex website, login with the credentials I gave you - and you are watching the movie(s) off of my PC in full HD.
I don't know how long this has been an option - but I would imagine the RIAA people are not fond of this.

Forum List

Back