Police secretly track cellphones to solve routine crimes

IronFist

May 26, 2015
Is it a good thing that we allow police to constantly spy on us? I think it's not. While tracking the phone calls is definitely a great way to catch criminals I'm not okay with the fact that they log private information of all people walking next to the cell towers. Considering all those breaches which happened recently I don't want to give my private info to the police voluntary as it may leak anytime.

Is it a good thing that we allow police to constantly spy on us? I think it's not. While tracking the phone calls is definitely a great way to catch criminals I'm not okay with the fact that they log private information of all people walking next to the cell towers. Considering all those breaches which happened recently I don't want to give my private info to the police voluntary as it may leak anytime.

You would rather have the crime?

Tracking crime is a benefit for police. Are you afraid of being caught doing something wrong? What could you possibly be afraid the police will see?

Tracking crime is of benefit to all those who don't habitually commit crimes, but abide by the law.

Turn your phone off and stop the virtual public conversation that exists when it's on.
You own a cell phone, you forfeit at least some privacy when you choose to activate it.

Turn your phone off and stop the virtual public conversation that exists when it's on.
You own a cell phone, you forfeit at least some privacy when you choose to activate it.
That would be "airplane mode".

Better known as airplanus modus operandi. Invented by ancient Greek attorneys.

It's not a question of whether it's 'good' or not, it's a question of how the courts will rule with regard to current 4th Amendment jurisprudence.

From your linked article:

'Some states require officers to get a search warrant, in part because the technology is so invasive. The Justice Department is considering whether to impose a similar rule on its agents. In Baltimore, police routinely relied instead on what are known as “pen register” orders, which must be approved by a judge but do not require the same level of proof as a search warrant. For a time last year, Baltimore officers also started getting search warrants, then stopped[.]

Few courts have weighed in on stingrays' legality, partly because so much of the surveillance happened in secret that defense lawyers had few opportunities to challenge it.'

It's more an issue of inconsistency among various jurisdictions as to requiring a warrant before using such surveillance, and where there's insufficient case law to compel consistency.

You do realize this is not a new thing right? Matter of fact you should consider the mobile phone to be the way around the tricky concept of implanting micro chips in people. If you think about it this was genius in design. You actually pay for the privilege of being monitored and you are slowly coming to grips with the idea that its not all that bad.

That would be "airplane mode".

Better known as airplanus modus operandi. Invented by ancient Greek attorneys.
Airplane mode can still connect via GPS which means a satellite connection and that is a microwave party line.

first off it is illegal to infringe on peoples right to privacy..it's clear that some people believe in the erosion of the bill of rights...

first off it is illegal to infringe on peoples right to privacy..it's clear that some people believe in the erosion of the bill of rights...
You don't have any right to privacy when you run out in the middle of the street naked and scream.

Forum List

Back