Police State: Man Detained For Walking With Hands In Pockets...

The elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about would be how it was a black man who was stopped for having his hands in his pockets.

It is correct that there's nothing unusual about that, as black men are constantly stopped for such trivial reasons.

Yeah, you make a valid point. Black Males do have good reason to be angry much of the time. It's understandable, when you take the time to look at it from their perspective. 'Walking while Black' does seem to be this man's offense.

Being black doesn't give one the right to mouth off to cops though. Mouthing off only gets you a ticket or worse.

Nah, mouthing off is perfectly justifiable in some cases. And that's why recording these types of incidents will become the norm. I have no doubt this cop would have escalated this incident to dangerous levels.

But the cameras seem to have calmed the situation. He decided it was wise to just let it go. If there were no cameras rolling, i truly believe he would have called for 'backup' and really ramped up the harassment.
Notice the cop had a cell so the guy mouthing off couldn't claim he was innocent if his mouthing off led to an altercation.

Cops have to cover their asses too now.

Yeah it looks like the Police will be required to record incidents at some point. Things seem to be headed that way. Both Citizens and Police should be recording incidents. It levels the playing field somewhat. Cops have had absolute free reign in this country for so long. They've been allowed to invent trumped-up charges against Citizens for years. I mean the Police don't lie, right?

I truly believe if the cameras weren't rolling, this cop would have escalated the situation to dangerous levels. He would have called in his mates and had a real good time destroying this poor guy's life. It would have been his word against an army of Cops' word. And guess who wins on that? So cameras are a good thing in this situation. The old days are now over for the Police. Their actions will be openly documented by Citizens. Maybe now, we'll see real justice?

The cop did absolutely nothing wrong at all. He had received citizen complaints, he made that abundantly clear that he didn't stop this man without cause. Did you notice the cop had his cell phone out recording the entire incident? When people called the police to report suspicious behavior what did they expect the police to do, blow it off? From the cop's behavior, including his tone of voice, he didn't see any reason to stop this man and if there was not a complaint, he would not have done it.

The elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about would be how it was a black man who was stopped for having his hands in his pockets.

It is correct that there's nothing unusual about that, as black men are constantly stopped for such trivial reasons.

Yeah, you make a valid point. Black Males do have good reason to be angry much of the time. It's understandable, when you take the time to look at it from their perspective. 'Walking while Black' does seem to be this man's offense.

Being black doesn't give one the right to mouth off to cops though. Mouthing off only gets you a ticket or worse.

Nah, mouthing off is perfectly justifiable in some cases. And that's why recording these types of incidents will become the norm. I have no doubt this cop would have escalated this incident to dangerous levels.

But the cameras seem to have calmed the situation. He decided it was wise to just let it go. If there were no cameras rolling, i truly believe he would have called for 'backup' and really ramped up the harassment.
Notice the cop had a cell so the guy mouthing off couldn't claim he was innocent if his mouthing off led to an altercation.

Yeah it looks like the Police will be required to record incidents at some point. Things seem to be headed that way. Both Citizens and Police should be recording incidents. It levels the playing field somewhat. Cops have had absolute free reign in this country for so long. They've been allowed to invent trumped-up charges against Citizens for years. I mean the Police don't lie, right?

I truly believe if the cameras weren't rolling, this cop would have escalated the situation to dangerous levels. He would have called in his mates and had a real good time destroying this poor guy's life. It would have been his word against an army of Cops' word. And guess who wins on that? So cameras are a good thing in this situation. The old days are now over for the Police. Their actions will be openly documented by Citizens. Maybe now, we'll see real justice?

And you're able to read his mind from only watching a video?

I had one brother who was a cop and another that was a drug-addict who spent 8 years in the state-pen for armed robbery. I would trust my brother who was a cop over my jailbird brother any day. Your problem is you feel the criminal deserves understanding and the cop deserves prison.

Go ahead and mouth off to the next cop you meet. I hope he cracks you in the noggin. After all they're only human

Is the 'Patriot Act' really so 'Patriotic?' I would say it's the most Un-Patriotic act ever perpetrated against the American People.
Woodrow Wilson signed the Espionage Act and imposed wartime restrictions on freedom of speech and expression, becoming the first President to tread on the civil and political rights of Americans. Americas slide into a police state began then, and the patriot act is stage two. Not looking forward to stage three.

I also think more White Americans should seriously contemplate how most African American men feel about their treatment by Law Enforcement. 'Walking while Black' is not a crime in America. I think too many White Americans just dismiss how most African American men feel about their treatment.

Ignoring their perspective only makes things worse. It's like an open festering wound. It can't be healed until it's seriously attended to. Once more people start understanding the cause of the anger, things can begin to change. People just need to be honest and stop ignoring the festering wound.

I had one brother who was a cop and another that was a drug-addict who spent 8 years in the state-pen for armed robbery. I would trust my brother who was a cop over my jailbird brother any day. Your problem is you feel the criminal deserves understanding and the cop deserves prison.

Go ahead and mouth off to the next cop you meet. I hope he cracks you in the noggin. After all they're only human

The act of doing drugs is not a criminal act in my opinion. So all drug users, unless convicted of other more serious crimes, should be released from our prisons immediately. They don't belong in prison. And you really should reconsider your desire to see more violent Police abuse of power. This Police State isn't good for anyone.

Is the 'Patriot Act' really so 'Patriotic?' I would say it's the most Un-Patriotic act ever perpetrated against the American People.
Woodrow Wilson signed the Espionage Act and imposed wartime restrictions on freedom of speech and expression, becoming the first President to tread on the civil and political rights of Americans. Americas slide into a police state began then, and the patriot act is stage two. Not looking forward to stage three.

Yeah, Big Brother is insidiously sly. He gives it a nice Patriotic-sounding name like 'Patriot Act', and the Sheeple fall over themselves rushing to support it. He truly knows his good Sheeple. The Patriot Act is the exact opposite of Patriotic.

I also think more White Americans should seriously contemplate how most African American men feel about their treatment by Law Enforcement. 'Walking while Black' is not a crime in America. I think too many White Americans just dismiss how most African American men feel about their treatment.

Ignoring their perspective only makes things worse. It's like an open festering wound. It can't be healed until it's seriously attended to. Once more people start understanding the cause of the anger, things can begin to change. People just need to be honest and stop ignoring the festering wound.
The reasons are more economic than political, as we are seeing the death of the middle class, and with it no hope or future for the youth of America (whether they are white or black). From that perspective, is it any surprise that black men are angry, lost, or afraid for the future.

Until there are opportunities again, the rage won't just simmer away, and lack of faith in police won't subside either. When the black man died in Ferguson, there was public outpouring of support for him. Because the people of Ferguson are so poor and jobless, and have so little hope, the policeman becomes the enemy.*

*Meaning they have to steal to support themselves and their families.

The act of doing drugs is not a criminal act in my opinion. So all drug users, unless convicted of other more serious crimes, should be released from our prisons immediately. They don't belong in prison. And you really should reconsider your desire to see more violent Police abuse of power. This Police State isn't good for anyone.

My brothers' drug-addiction led to him holding up a store to pay for his habit, and getting into a shootout with police.

The reasons are more economic than political, as we are seeing the death of the middle class, and with it no hope or future for the youth of America (whether they are white or black). From that perspective, is it any surprise that black men are angry, lost, or afraid for the future.

Until there are opportunities again, the rage won't just simmer away, and lack of faith in police won't subside either. When the black man died in Ferguson, there was public outpouring of support for him. Because the people of Ferguson are so poor and jobless, and have so little hope, the policeman becomes the enemy.*

*Meaning they have to steal to support themselves and their families.

Yeah, economics does play a big role in everything. More White Americans really do need to seriously contemplate the average African American man's perspective on issues like this. This man for example, truly believes he was treated like a criminal for merely being a black man walking down a street.

Agree or not, White Americans need to understand that's how most African American men see things. Ignoring their perspective is only gonna make things worse.

My brothers' drug-addiction led to him holding up a store to pay for his habit, and getting into a shootout with police.

Then he was rightfully convicted. He committed a violent criminal act. But the act of doing drugs is not a criminal act in my estimation. No one should be in an American prison for merely enjoying doing drugs.

People need to really think about this stuff. I mean, what can really stop a police officer from claiming a Citizen assaulted them, or committed some other type of crime? Who's gonna be believed in that instance? The Citizen or the Police Officer? That's the type of free reign the Police have enjoyed for many many years.

I mean let's be real, your word as a Citizen doesn't mean much in most instances involving the Police. The Cop wins. So recording their actions is a very wise decision. Their free reign might just be coming to an end.

Oh Brother!

The same thing happened to me, my ex and ex brother in law in the 1970's in Tucson when it was Thanksgiving and for the same reason, there was lots of robberies in the area at the time. We were out walking off our turkey dinner and we were stopped and asked what we were doing by a cop. That was the end of it.
Cops were just doing their job.
Some people in this nation needs to start using their brains and opened their closed eyes, rather than believing the lefts political spins for their agendas.

How did they do their job? Expand on that.

This nation is in very serious trouble if you need an expansion on it.

Does the pot head libertarian left even understand what a "police state" really means? .

Nope. They're sheltered little snowflakes who have never stepped outside of this country to see what real hardship is, what a real police state looks like. I'd like to send them to North Korea where there are thousands in prison just for voicing opposition to the government. Spoiled rotten and ignorant large children are they.
Why North Korea?

Ever been to South Korea?

Again, I dont know what happened. But the cop didnt just stop him. The cop got a report of someone exhibiting suspicious behavior and that's why he stopped him.
So what was that behavior? We dont know.
There is more here than we are being told. That's for damnsure.

"That behavior" was walking with his hands in his pockets. The cop plainly stated the reason he stopped him was because he was walking with his hands in his pockets and that doing so had made people nervous.

The cop did not say there was any other reason than that. Watch and listen.

come on. now you all are going overboard with this stuff

Agreed. I run into so many of these cop hater threads all over the internet. There are a little over a million police officers in this country, and when one of them is a little over zealous, which this cop was, then the wing nuts go claiming we're in a "police state". It always bothers me how we throw around terms we don't even half understand. I'd like to ship these cop hating assholes to a real police state just so they can see we actually have it pretty good in this country and we're nowhere near a "police state". These asshats are like spoiled teenagers decrying things they don't half understand. Stupid, spoiled, and ignorant.

The OP's a hopeless drama queen. The sad thing is it tries to base itself on a legitimate complaint -- there are countless cases of real police abuse of power. A simple uheated conversation, while the basis for it may be bogus, really isn't one of them.

But having these drama llama boys-who-cried-wolf trying to drum up fake cases just deflates the whole concern so that when a legitimate case comes up, what should have been legitimate outrage will be diminished. Thus his attention whoring ultimately serves and enables the abusers, not the abusees.
This.

Creating drama out of nothing more than an edited video where the police officer does NOTHING that is out of the ordinary is asinine when there are so damn many legitimate police abuses out there.
This video had better be out of the ordinary! How many times have you had YOUR hands in your pockets and a cop stopped you and asked what your up to?
I am white.

I gave up counting the times I was asked why I was where I was back in the early '70s.

I am polite with cops, and but for one in my life, they have been polite to me.

What gives cops the right to talk trash and get away with it?
First Amendment applies to cops too.

He was a Progresive".

All of his sins are forgiven.

Forum List

Back