Political Cartoon

1616876089636.png

Please show me where someone thinks owning a gun is a human right. That would mean a six year old could own one.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

Does not mean it isn't there...I just didn't find it.
>I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

You don't need an article to support that claim; it's done through reasoned thought. Of course, it's always going to be debatable, like all rights; they are not scientific laws of nature or anything, so you can't really "prove" it, only that it makes sense. Rights are granted through (legal) laws, and can be changed over time.

I claim that it is a fundamental human to be able to protect oneself and one's family, without assistance from others.

The 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution says that the fundamental right [of law-abiding citizens of sound mind] to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed."

Put those two things together, and I conclude that gun ownership is a human right of American citizens, just like the right to free speech and other rights.

Regards,
Jim

Thank you for your honesty.

Your OP claim is based on your conclusions. While I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...I don't agree.

It says that citizens have the right to bear arms.

That is a right some feel can be removed or restricted.
>While I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...I don't agree.
It's cool. We can disagree. Thanks.

I agree with you that the 2A can be restricted. You can't easily own a rocket launcher or dynamite legally. And as I mentioned in my OP, mentally insane people and criminals can have their right to keep and bear arms restricted; rightly-so, IMO.

I think my post was clear though - Law-abiding and of sound mind. and citizens (or legal residents). ID required. Just like it should be required for voting.

It's a fundamental human right of Americans.

All the above just my opinions, of course.

Regards,
Jim
youre welcome to your opinion,, just dont claim you support the 2nd A under its original intent,,

Please show me where someone thinks owning a gun is a human right. That would mean a six year old could own one.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

>I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

You don't need an article to support that claim; it's done through reasoned thought. Of course, it's always going to be debatable, like all rights; they are not scientific laws of nature or anything, so you can't really "prove" it, only that it makes sense. Rights are granted through (legal) laws, and can be changed over time.

I claim that it is a fundamental human to be able to protect oneself and one's family, without assistance from others.

The 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution says that the fundamental right [of law-abiding citizens of sound mind] to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed."

Put those two things together, and I conclude that gun ownership is a human right of American citizens, just like the right to free speech and other rights.

Regards,
Jim

Your OP claim is based on your conclusions. While I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...I don't agree.

I agree with you that the 2A can be restricted. You can't easily own a rocket launcher or dynamite legally. And as I mentioned in my OP, mentally insane people and criminals can have their right to keep and bear arms restricted; rightly-so, IMO.

I think my post was clear though - Law-abiding and of sound mind. and citizens (or legal residents). ID required. Just like it should be required for voting.

Regards,
Jim
youre welcome to your opinion,, just dont claim you support the 2nd A under its original intent,,
> youre welcome to your opinion,, just dont claim you support the 2nd A under its original intent,,

Thanks.

Yeah, I think crazy people and criminals should not be allowed to legally possess a firearm. I am Conservative and a big 2A supporter.

I have known some crazy people, some criminals, and have helped out a mentally-disabled guy for decades. None of them should be able to own a firearm, IMO.

I do consider myself to be an originalist, BTW.

It would be cool if you expanded upon your statement I quoted, if you want to, and why you disagree with me. I really appreciate reasoned disagreement.

Regards,
Jim

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
> youre welcome to your opinion,, just dont claim you support the 2nd A under its original intent,,

Thanks.

Yeah, I think crazy people and criminals should not be allowed to legally possess a firearm. I am Conservative and a big 2A supporter.

I have known some crazy people, some criminals, and have helped out a mentally-disabled guy for decades. None of them should be able to own a firearm, IMO.

It would be cool if you expanded upon your statement I quoted, if you want to, and why you disagree with me. I really appreciate reasoned disagreement.

Regards,
Jim
I think a person is crazy to think the government should be better armed than the people,,

so if you think that are you to crazy to own a firearm??

and if a person is to dangerous to own a gun they are to dangerous to be let out of prison,,

not to mention a law wont stop them if they decide to get one,,,

you can say you support the 2nd but your words say otherwise,,,

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim
I think a person is crazy to think the government should be better armed than the people,,

and if a person is to dangerous to own a gun they are to dangerous to be let out of prison,,

I said none of those things.

I said owning a firearm is fundamental right of the law-abiding and sound mind.

I am confuse by your response, which was not responsive, other than saying people on probation for violent crimes should be allowed to possess firearms, which I disagree with.

I totally agree with you that firearms laws only restrict the rights of the law-abiding. That's a given.

You think crazy people should be able to won firearms? I don't. Crazy people are crazy.

Regards,
Jim

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

I am confuse by your response, which was not responsive, other than saying people on probation for violent crimes should be allowed to possess firearms, which I disagree with.

I totally agree with you that firearms laws only restrict the rights of the law-abiding. That's a given.

You think crazy people should be able to won firearms? I don't. Crazy people are crazy.

Regards,
Jim
its a fundamental right of every human being,, thats why theyre called human rights granted by our creator not citizens rights granted by the government,,

when did I say people on probation should be allowed?? please dont put words in my mouth, it doesnt help the discussion,,

if youve paid your debt to society you should get all your rights back,

what do you mean by crazy?? if they cant function on their own and are a danger to themselves and others take it to court and have them declared unfit and a ward of the state,,

Last edited:

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
its a fundamental right of every human being,, thats why theyre called human rights granted by our creator not citizens rights granted by the government,,

when did I say people on probation should be allowed?? please dont put words in my mouth, it doesnt help the discussion,,

what do you mean by crazy?? if they cant function on their own and are a danger to themselves and others take it to court and have them declared unfit and a ward of the state,,

>when did I say people on probation should be allowed?? please dont put words in my mouth, it doesnt help the discussion,,

That's the kind of thing I was referring to. I did not put words in your mouth; you said, and I quote:

>and if a person is to dangerous to own a gun they are to dangerous to be let out of prison,,

"Let out of prison" includes violent criminals on parole or probation. I don't care much about their right to bear arms. They lost it for good reason.

> if youve paid your debt to society you should get all your rights back,

I totally agree, but one should have to apply and show that one has been a good boy. It should not be automatic. My governor just restored the voting rights of over 60,000 felons, wichout them even applying. He did not restore their gun rights with his pen, BTW. I can't stand anything my governor does. And convicted felons generally stink, but I can forgive one "mistake."

> what do you mean by crazy?? if they cant function on their own and are a danger to themselves and others take it to court and have them declared unfit and a ward of the state,,

Found by a court of law to be mentally-incompetent to safely handle a firearm.

I am not sure why you brush this off so easily. There are countless crazy people out there. Here's my personal experience....

There are definitely much much crazier people out there.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

>when did I say people on probation should be allowed?? please dont put words in my mouth, it doesnt help the discussion,,

That's the kind of thing I was referring to. I did not put words in your mouth; you said, and I quote:

>and if a person is to dangerous to own a gun they are to dangerous to be let out of prison,,

"Let out of prison" includes violent criminals on parole or probation.

I totally agree, but one should have to apply and show that one has been a good boy. It should not be automatic. My governor just restored the voting rights of over 60,000 felons, wichout them even applying. He did not restore their gun rights with his pen, BTW. I can't stand anything my governor does. And convicted felons generally stink, but I can forgive one "mistake."

> what do you mean by crazy?? if they cant function on their own and are a danger to themselves and others take it to court and have them declared unfit and a ward of the state,,

I am not sure why you brush this off so easily. There are countless crazy people out there. Here's my personal experience....

I will just say I learned a long time ago life isnt always easy and most times very hard with lots of dangers,, and truthfully I fear death far more during rush hour traffic than I do about an ex felon owning a gun,,

dont forget the wild west was wild not because of the criminals but because the people killed them and put their bodies on display as an example of what happens if you step out of line,,

you choose to side with the government for control of the people and I choose to side with the people for freedom

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

I will just say I learned a long time ago life isnt always easy and most times very hard with lots of dangers,, and truthfully I fear death far more during rush hour traffic than I do about an ex felon owning a gun,,

dont forget the wild west was wild not because of the criminals but because the people killed them and put their bodies on display as an example of what happens if you step out of line,,

you choose to side with the government for control of the people and I choose to side with the people for freedom
> I will just say I learned a long time ago life isnt always easy and most times very hard with lots of dangers,, and truthfully I fear death far more during rush hour traffic than I do about an ex felon owning a gun,,

Totally agree. Driving to work is the most dangerous thing I do on weekdays.

> you choose to side with the government for control of the people and I choose to side with the people for freedom

Crazies and criminals are people too. They can go pound sand.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks for your reasoned resonse.

I respect and appreciate it.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

A power that was often abused in the absence of the law.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

think about the abuse with the power of law???

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

I think we agree on most things.

I am interested to know what you mean by original intent. That is an honest question.

I look to be educated by your response.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

think about the abuse with the power of law???

That certainly happened too.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

I think we agree on most things.

I am interested to know what you mean by original intent. That is an honest question.

I look to be educated by your response.
as for original intent, it isnt what I mean its why the founders put it in there,,

it was specifically for protection from tyranny from our own government just like they fought against or an outside one,,

"against all enemies foreign or domestic?

the self defense aspect is just a given,,

thats why they said arms and not guns,

I find it odd that people would side with the very people the 2nd was meant to protect us from in supporting gun control,,
it was meant specifically for weapons of war,

an argument could be made for personal arms and not large scale weapons even though people have always had cannons/artillery.

Forum List

Back