Political Cartoon

1616893647464.png

Please show me where someone thinks owning a gun is a human right. That would mean a six year old could own one.

Let that sink in.
You asked for it.

I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

Does not mean it isn't there...I just didn't find it.
>I looked through your article and didn't see owning a gun described as a human right.

You don't need an article to support that claim; it's done through reasoned thought. Of course, it's always going to be debatable, like all rights; they are not scientific laws of nature or anything, so you can't really "prove" it, only that it makes sense. Rights are granted through (legal) laws, and can be changed over time.

I claim that it is a fundamental human to be able to protect oneself and one's family, without assistance from others.

The 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution says that the fundamental right [of law-abiding citizens of sound mind] to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed."

Put those two things together, and I conclude that gun ownership is a human right of American citizens, just like the right to free speech and other rights.

Regards,
Jim

Thank you for your honesty.

Your OP claim is based on your conclusions. While I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...I don't agree.

It says that citizens have the right to bear arms.

That is a right some feel can be removed or restricted.
>While I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...I don't agree.
It's cool. We can disagree. Thanks.

I agree with you that the 2A can be restricted. You can't easily own a rocket launcher or dynamite legally. And as I mentioned in my OP, mentally insane people and criminals can have their right to keep and bear arms restricted; rightly-so, IMO.

I think my post was clear though - Law-abiding and of sound mind. and citizens (or legal residents). ID required. Just like it should be required for voting.

It's a fundamental human right of Americans.

All the above just my opinions, of course.

Regards,
Jim
youre welcome to your opinion,, just dont claim you support the 2nd A under its original intent,,

I think we agree on most things.

I am interested to know what you mean by original intent. That is an honest question.

I look to be educated by your response.
as for original intent, it isnt what I mean its why the founders put it in there,,

it was specifically for protection from tyranny from our own government just like they fought against or an outside one,,

"against all enemies foreign or domestic?

the self defense aspect is just a given,,

thats why they said arms and not guns,

I find it odd that people would side with the very people the 2nd was meant to protect us from in supporting gun control,,
it was meant specifically for weapons of war,

an argument could be made for personal arms and not large scale weapons even though people have always had cannons/artillery.

Thank you for the clarification.

I appreciate it.

Forum List

Back