Political experiment: Speed Bumps; Whats your political stance on them???

Speed bumps, more cops, or liberty: Respond to speeding problem

• Increase budget, put a cop on the road everyday, 7am-9pm

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Put in speed bumps; It sucks, but, it'll mostly fix the problem

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Nothing; I dont want more taxes, OR my liberty of smooth driving impeded

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In a lot of places the street is where kids play and I'm not just talking about the inner cities. I grew up in the suburbs and the street is where we played ball games and all sorts of things. It's just not about crossing streets, but the fact that it's where people live. If you're in that much of a hurry, use a major thoroughfare.

If your parents wanted you to play in the streets, maybe they didn't want you in the future gene pool.
Roads aren't a playground, they are a means for people to travel (in cars) from one place to another. Most people understand that and keep their kids out of the street.
Major thoroughfares don't exist in neighborhoods. In order to enter or exit ones neighborhood, one must travel the neighborhood streets. They should follow the speed limits in the neighborhood and kids shouldn't be in the streets.

Ummm but they are. Did you never play street hockey? Or have (or know someone who has) a basketball hoop at the end of the drive?

These situations can and do coexist. :thup:

Correct, Hence why residential speed limits are 30 or 35 mph.

Speed table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok. So, you guys support inconveniencing everyone to limit the unlawful activites of a minority of the population?

you think speeding is a minority of the population? Surely you're joking

And traffic tickets are beyond stupid, I dont think there should be a speed limit on interstates and I HATE speed bumps, if you kill someone because of stupidity, then welcome to jail.

Ok. So, you guys support inconveniencing everyone to limit the unlawful activites of a minority of the population?

How would anyone be inconvenienced if they were driving the speed limit? If several speed tables (shallow speed bumps)

Speed table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

were placed on a street to maintain a 45 mph speed limit, how would the law-abiding be inconvenienced? You can even go 55 mph over a 45mph speed tables and not suffer any damages to your car. It' when you hit that 60+mph mark that you'll get screwed, 65+ mega fucked.

Last edited:
In a lot of places the street is where kids play and I'm not just talking about the inner cities. I grew up in the suburbs and the street is where we played ball games and all sorts of things. It's just not about crossing streets, but the fact that it's where people live. If you're in that much of a hurry, use a major thoroughfare.

If your parents wanted you to play in the streets, maybe they didn't want you in the future gene pool.
Roads aren't a playground, they are a means for people to travel (in cars) from one place to another. Most people understand that and keep their kids out of the street.
Major thoroughfares don't exist in neighborhoods. In order to enter or exit ones neighborhood, one must travel the neighborhood streets. They should follow the speed limits in the neighborhood and kids shouldn't be in the streets.

Ummm but they are. Did you never play street hockey? Or have (or know someone who has) a basketball hoop at the end of the drive?

They do, but one thing about traffic laws, trucks always have the right of way and if you're a person, cars do, why? because they can fuck you up bad....simple common sense

but yeah I played in the streets all the time and in hills, ravines, creeks, ect, but you have to watch out for cars, I never played on corners .

I never played in the streets and neither did my children.
I guess that's why none of us ever got hit by a car on a street designed for cars to drive on.
I'd call it common sense, but it doesn't seem to be common these days.

I guess that's why none of us ever got hit by a car on a street designed for cars to drive on.

What about people mowing the edge of their lawn, or walking on the shoulder (most places don't have sidewalks).

Kind of context driven. Urban, suburban, or rural? Residential neighborhood with children, or freeway?

Fair question. Lets say suburban, but not a residential-inside neighborhood road. A main road, not an interstate or highway, that runs between two large subdivisions. A busy road, where people walk/ride bikes in the evenings.

Obviously, speed bumps on a freeway or interstate are not possible.

Speed bumps, in their present incarnation, are not variable speed regulators. Everyone has to slow to about 5 mph going over them. That wouldn't work well on a road with a 40 mph limit. So in the context above, a cop with a speed gun and an appropriate speed limit would be best. Ideally, some genius would invent a speed bump which would be smooth sailing at 40 mph and tear up the suspension at 45.

Depends too heavily on the vehicle. Offhand, a bump I barely feel at 40MPH in my Caddy could be a kidney-hammering slam at 20MPH in my F-350.

What about people mowing the edge of their lawn, or walking on the shoulder (most places don't have sidewalks).
What about them? They aren't in the street according to your post, so what is your point?

80 in a 35 in front of the house? Spikes work to....

What's your point?

Speed bumps can be mathematically engineered to handle any speed limit from 0mph (a brick wall) to 15 mph (a partial cylinder) to 55 mph (a shallow arc) to 120 mph (long and shallow arc).

No, they cannot. A bump that a car barely notices at 50MPH can send a mixer truck driver to the hospital with compressed vertebrae at 35!

I want to inquire about an action of the government, and how your political outlook applies. Its not a major issue of the day. Which is the point. Government sometimes must do the LITTLE things, not the breaking national news decisions, but little things that make a city or country run in a civil manner. Things we often times hate. BUT, that are, well necessary.

Please answer honestly.

Speed bumps. I put a poll. But, here is the issue-

Lets say there is a road in your city. People drive WAY too fast down it. Kids are around. Bicyclists. Very dangerous. However, due to having limited resources, your local and county police cannot put a cop on that road 24/7. When they do, folks take to facebook and twitter to warn their friends and neighbors anyway. Modern day, ya know? But, a kid gets hit, and people demand action. What should they do?

A) Increase the budget, and man that road with a cop from 7am-9pm, every day.
B) Put in speed bumps. Inconveniences everyone, damages cars long-term, but, problem kinda fixed.
C) Nothing. My liberty to drive how I want shouldn't be impeded just to stop a few bad drivers.

I think this little example puts ideology to the test about what government can and should, or shouldn't, do to fix or aid in society's daily problems.

If there are not sidewalks, put them in.

Kind of context driven. Urban, suburban, or rural? Residential neighborhood with children, or freeway?

Fair question. Lets say suburban, but not a residential-inside neighborhood road. A main road, not an interstate or highway, that runs between two large subdivisions. A busy road, where people walk/ride bikes in the evenings.

Obviously, speed bumps on a freeway or interstate are not possible.
I have rarely seen speed bumps in non-residential neighborhoods. In fact, I can't ever remember seeing one. Using a speed bump on a main road with speed limits of 35 to 45 mph could be dangerous for drivers. Hitting a speed bump at 40 could easy result in a blowout or lost of control causing accidents. Speed bumps are designed for residential streets where the goal is to slow down a driver driving 20 to 30 down 5 to 10mph.

I don't think main roads should have speed bumps, only residential streets in residential neighborhoods..

Last edited:

And traffic tickets are beyond stupid, I dont think there should be a speed limit on interstates and I HATE speed bumps, if you kill someone because of stupidity, then welcome to jail.
Without traffic tickets, how do propose traffic laws be enforced, the honor system?

Should be gotten rid of. If company wants them or neighborhood wants them then they should get together raise the money and pay a private company to do it.

Bag of cold patch costs about 8 bucks last I checked.

Easy with the red herrings.

I think it should be that way for ANYTHING...like I know a road here 90% of it is paved the 10% that isn't is because the 2 neighbors who house sits in front of it didn't want it paved so it isn't.

:eek:

Without traffic tickets, how do propose traffic laws be enforced, the honor system?
Im for getting rid of most of them. Jaywalking, wtf is that? If getting hit by a car doesnt mame you be careful crossing a street, then youre an idiot....most traffic tickets are a scam,like parking tickets, complete bs

I have no problem with speeding tickets in residential areas since kids may be playing, but most of the rest of them are just money making scams

Like speedtraps, they got so deceitful, then now have to show signs

Last edited:
I want to inquire about an action of the government, and how your political outlook applies. Its not a major issue of the day. Which is the point. Government sometimes must do the LITTLE things, not the breaking national news decisions, but little things that make a city or country run in a civil manner. Things we often times hate. BUT, that are, well necessary.

Please answer honestly.

Speed bumps. I put a poll. But, here is the issue-

Lets say there is a road in your city. People drive WAY too fast down it. Kids are around. Bicyclists. Very dangerous. However, due to having limited resources, your local and county police cannot put a cop on that road 24/7. When they do, folks take to facebook and twitter to warn their friends and neighbors anyway. Modern day, ya know? But, a kid gets hit, and people demand action. What should they do?

A) Increase the budget, and man that road with a cop from 7am-9pm, every day.
B) Put in speed bumps. Inconveniences everyone, damages cars long-term, but, problem kinda fixed.
C) Nothing. My liberty to drive how I want shouldn't be impeded just to stop a few bad drivers.

I think this little example puts ideology to the test about what government can and should, or shouldn't, do to fix or aid in society's daily problems.

maybe using VD as an example would be just a stupid as this one?

I voted to do nothing, if idiot parents decided to raise children on a dangerous road, why is their poor decision everyone else's problem? It isn't.

Forum List

Back