Poll: Does a Glock .45 pistol grip have a rough...or smooth...surface?

Is a Glock grip rough or smooth?

• Rough. So the gun won't slip.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Smooth. It feels nicer!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Hey guys. Me and 2 libs have a debate going. Do Glock pistol grips have a rough surface...like sandpaper or sneaker sole grids? Or is it smooth?

Thanks for the help. I say rough. They want me to "prove it". ClosedCaption is one who disputes it.

And any forensics guys.....Skylar and ClosedCaption want PROOF that you can't get a fingerprint from a rough sandpaperish Glock grip....although they've yet to concede the grip is even rough.

From what can fingerprints be lifted and from what can't they be lifted? - Quora

From what can fingerprints be lifted and from what can't they be lifted?
I'm wondering if a hand print can be lifted from a bikini bottom, but looking for a complete answer for many different materials.

Justin Freeman, Former Patrol Officer

Print lifting capability isn't binary regarding various surface types - there is somewhat of a spectrum of suitability for lifting fingerprints. Knowing my answers tend to wax prosaic, here's the TLDR as a public service:

• Easy: Glass, glossy tile, porcelain, lacquered furniture, smooth metal.
  • Involved: Paper, painted surfaces, drywall, cardboard, leather, most dashboards.
  • Difficult: Organic surfaces (tree leaves, fruit peels, feathers).
  • Formidable: Fabrics, human skin, and rough or textured surfaces (checkered handgun grips come to mind).
  • Virtually Impossible: Oily, rusty, or extremely dirty surfaces; high traffic surfaces with multiple overlapping prints; prints smeared by movement.

Bucs said you cannot pull prints from Glocks because the surface is rough. I just proved him wrong. Feel free to link to information that says otherwise or when you dont I accept your concession on this topic

Yes....Thanks ClosedCaption for admitting I was right. Gun grips are extremely difficult to print. The more textured...the harder. Glocks are often like sandpaper. Nearly impossible. Glad you FINALLY accepted that.

Bucs said you cannot pull prints from Glocks because the surface is rough. I just proved him wrong. Feel free to link to information that says otherwise or when you dont I accept your concession on this topic

You realize you posted link documenting how difficult...nearly impossible...it is right? Old revolvers had smoothed wood grips. Glocks have sandpaperish grips.

Um...THANKS!

Yes....Thanks ClosedCaption for admitting I was right. Gun grips are extremely difficult to print. The more textured...the harder. Glocks are often like sandpaper. Nearly impossible. Glad you FINALLY accepted that.

Uh, but heres what you said

You can't take prints from a rough surface like sandpaper, carpet, rock....or weapon grips.

Now you are saying that you CAN get prints from the gun grip? Only after you said you couldnt get prints from a gun grip.

WTF type of police were you to not know this?

My first gun was a Glock 17. The grip was textured but not enough for me, I'd say it was smack in between sandpaper and smooth. I used a rubber Hogue grip over it.

You realize you posted link documenting how difficult...nearly impossible...it is right? Old revolvers had smoothed wood grips. Glocks have sandpaperish grips.

Um...THANKS!

You didnt say difficult you said you CANT get prints from a gun grip

You can't take prints from a rough surface like sandpaper, carpet, rock....or weapon grips.

Now you are saying that you CAN get prints from the gun grip? Only after you said you couldnt get prints from a gun grip.

From a smooth revolver grip? Sure. From a Glock? Almost 0 chance you get a print. You can try. You wont get one. That's why cops fingerprint the shell casings (smooth brass) because few guns have smooth grips. Glocks? Almost never.

See when Bucs said you cant get prints from a gun what he really meant was that you CAN get prints from the gun. Silly me

From a smooth revolver grip? Sure. From a Glock? Almost 0 chance you get a print. You can try. You wont get one. That's why cops fingerprint the shell casings (smooth brass) because few guns have smooth grips. Glocks? Almost never.

Which one? You can or you cant? So far you've said both...

Um...THANKS!

You didnt say difficult you said you CANT get prints from a gun grip

AHHH....here we go. This is where you and Skylar try to save face.

"OOOOHHH.....he said CANT...now there a a 1 in a million chance...so it's not CANT! GOTCHA!"

Go fingerprint 10,000 Glock grips. I bet you get 0 useful prints.

Which one? You can or you cant? So far you've said both...

You cant. You can try. Hell...fingerprint 10 billion Glock grips. How many useful prints will you get? I'd bet 0.

So, you're back to saying you cant now?

Never faltered. You wanna argue it's POSSIBLE? That you can at least try? Sure. Fingerprint every Glock grip at NCPD. You wont get a single print that is clear enough to be used.

Forum List

Back