POLL: How Bout An Official Gesture Of Atonement For Past Sins Against African Americans?...

Would You Support An Official Government-Sponsored Gesture Of Atonement To African Americans

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you support it? Do you think it would help heal the deep wounds? Maybe an official Government-sponsored acknowledgement and atonement could lead to reconciliation.

Most African Americans still feel anger and sorrow over how they've been treated. It does seem like an open festering wound. Maybe a kind official gesture could help African Americans forgive and get some kind of closure. What do you think?

The government didn't enslave them. That being said if they want an official "we're sorry" that doesn't include reparations I have no problem with that. Reparations though are a non starter.

I'm willing to accept a compromise. But we have to heal this open festering wound. I think an official act could help African Americans forgive. Maybe help them find some sort of closure.

The problem with that is the jesse jacksons of the world have built their empires on creating, and maintaining, the division and hatred. obummer has furthered the separation of the races to foment exactly what is happening. A race war.
How does someone like Jesse "create" division when that division was there before they came on the scene or before they were even born?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

MLK was working towards blacks and whites working together for the common good. That's why he was assassinated. JJ has done nothing to bring the races together and instead has worked to keep them apart. He has raked in millions and millions of dollars by doing so. JJ is about HIM. He could give a crap about the black population.

We were supposed to have improved training for good jobs. Great job, GOP.
We were supposed to have good jobs people,wanted to train for....great job fascist democrats....
There are 3-6 million going begging, dupe.

Yep, NAFTA sold us down the river. Clinton screwed the American worker.
By going along with the GOP WAYYYYYY too much...

Clinton campaigned on it, he backed it, he wanted and called it a historic event. He loved NAFTA, you are putting out BS, why the hell do you think Hillary is trying to distance herself from Bill on this issue?
You lie so much, you are like your beloved Hillary.
BS ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ George H. W. Booosh and the GOP wrote it and then refused to follow thru on training Clinton wanted. Much like W and Ted and no child left behind. Scumbag GOP every time. Dupe.

That's the same as forcing a personal apology from every American.

Go fuck yourself. I've done nothing to apologize for.

It's not. It's a collective acknowledgement of the awful suffering African Americans have endured for centuries. It would do our nation's conscience some good. Maybe then we could move on.

Horseshit. Why would I apologize for something I haven't done? "Collective acknowledgements" are horseshit propaganda. They mean nothing, and only provide a justification for demanding concessions, like reparations.

If there is no reconciliation, the wound will remain open. The problem won't go away.
By definition. Hang it up. And vote dem to help ALL the victims of the New BS GOP. see sig.

NO ONE IS FOR REPARATIONS, people. 99% GOP strwman.

Who are these "victims" of the GOP?
See sig. Everyone but the rich, statistically.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole? :cuckoo:

We were supposed to have good jobs people,wanted to train for....great job fascist democrats....

Clinton campaigned on it, he backed it, he wanted and called it a historic event. He loved NAFTA, you are putting out BS, why the hell do you think Hillary is trying to distance herself from Bill on this issue?
BS ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ George H. W. Booosh and the GOP wrote it and then refused to follow thru on training Clinton wanted. Much like W and Ted and no child left behind. Scumbag GOP every time. Dupe.

Nope, Clinton wanted it, the GOP helped pass it, however, Clinton signed a bill if he vetoed would have been dead. Sorry, I know honesty and responsibility are not your strong suits. But you bastards are as guilty as the GOP, you really need to take some responsibility.

Please show me that Buchanan did not win all the southern delegates. He won them all, it was a sweep. Three people competed and only one to the south.

Once again you're conflating two different elections. It appears you don't know the difference between 1856 and 1860. Buchanan would be the former. Let us start there.

Buchanan did win all the Southern states, yes. But there were two people competing -- not three --- and it's hard to argue that the other one (Fillmore) was really competing anyway. The Know Nothing Party was a flash in the pan, it disappeared after this, and when it nominated Fillmore --- he wasn't even there. Nor does it seem he agreed with its platform, part of which btw was to just "ignore" the slavery question and hope it went away. So that's your only "competition", and you can't make the case that it even WAS competition.

And again, as already posted, Frémont did not even run in the South. The Republican Party didn't put out its own candidates in the South until 1868. Even Lincoln's birth state of Kentucky didn't have him on a ballot until 1864. Frémont was never on the ballot in the South. So Buchanan --- plus, if you count him, Fillmore ---- that's two people. Not "three". And barely even two.

Three people also ran in the South in 1860. They were Douglas (Democrat), Breckinridge (Southern Democrat) and Bell (Constitutional Union). No Lincoln. Wasn't on a ballot.

Breckinridge won the southern democratic nomination after they left the southern states left first Democratic convention after no nominee was named. The second convention was not attended by the southern states and the Democrats in the south made Breckenridge the nominee.

NO, they walked out of the Party's official second convention --- after some had already walked out of the first one, and THEN ran their breakaway rump convention. So they were there, and then walked out, and then went down the street to have their own party.

Right here, pal:
>> The resumed convention's first business was to decide whether to re-admit the delegates who had bolted the Charleston session, or to seat replacement delegates who had been named by pro-Douglas Democrats in some states. The credentials committee's majority report recommended re-admitting all delegates except those from Louisiana and Alabama. The minority report recommended re-admitting some of the Louisiana and Alabama delegates as well. The committee's majority report was adopted 150-100½, and the new Louisiana and Alabama delegates were seated. Many additional delegates now withdrew, including most of the remaining Southern delegates, and also a scattering of delegates from northern and far western states.[3] << (Wiki)

But the Democratic Party, independent of that, made Douglas the nominee --- not Breckinridge. Just as their 1948 convention went on and named Truman, with or without the walkouts.

As I said this is historical record, and there's not a damn thing you can do about that. By the time of their respective campaigns, Breckinridge was no more a "Democrat" than Teddy Roosevelt in 1912 was a "Republican". Same thing. A single political party doesn't run two candidates against each other. How the hell do you expect that to work?? That's the whole point of naming a nominee. "A" means one. Not two, not three ---- one.

So Buchanan won all the Southern delegates.

Breckenridge took the democrats votes in the south because democrats in the south voted for him.

Many Encyclopedias and history books call Breckenridge a southern Democrat.

Show me one that prints it like that, in lower case --- because again, the term is "Southern Democrat" --- a proper name of a specific party. As far as the political parties of whoever voted for him or anybody else, you have no way to know that; what we DO know is that the candidate presented by the Democratic Party in 1860 was Stephen Douglas of Illinois --- NOT John Breckinridge of Kentucky. Period, full stop.

And while that was going on the candidate presented by the Southern Democrats, who obviously didn't take the time to come up with a distinctive party name, was John Breckinridge of Kentucky -- not Stephen Douglas. Period, full stop.

And while that was going on the candidate presented by the Constitutional Union Party was John Bell of Tennessee.

1020px-ElectoralCollege1860.svg.png

Again, NO political party anywhere runs more than one candidate competing against each other for the same office. That is insanity. Can't be done. What do you propose would happen if the same party ran two guys, and one beat the other???

Douglas, Breckinridge and Bell all ran for the same office for three different parties; Breckinridge won in the green states, Bell won the orange, and Douglas won the single blue one, which is Missouri (plus three NJ electors as they split). Each party ran ONE candidate. Not two, not three, not a hundred and fifty eight --- ONE.

And also again, Breckinridge did NOT take the whole vote in the South anyway because you're still completely ignoring John Bell taking Tennessee, Virginia and Breckinridge's home state of Kentucky. That's not going away either.

You're just flat wrong dood. This is friggin' HISTORY. It's not up for debate.

Last edited:

Nope, Clinton wanted it, the GOP helped pass it, however, Clinton signed a bill if he vetoed would have been dead. Sorry, I know honesty and responsibility are not your strong suits. But you bastards are as guilty as the GOP, you really need to take some responsibility.
FUND THE TRAINING, dupe. DUH.

Would you support it? Do you think it would help heal the deep wounds? Maybe an official Government-sponsored acknowledgement and atonement could lead to reconciliation.

Most African Americans still feel anger and sorrow over how they've been treated. It does seem like an open festering wound. Maybe a kind official gesture could help African Americans forgive and get some kind of closure. What do you think?

NO! and NO! It would do nothing but increase their demands. Large portions have shown they have no link to reality. BLM is the perfect example.

It's about forgiveness an reconciliation. But how do we get there? That's the big question.

Forgiveness and reconciliation are made up issues that have no basis in the real world.

I don't know, Australia did something like it with the Aborigines. It doesn't solve all the problems, but it's like getting a new start to things.

Not only does it not solve any problems, but it won't be enough. I don't owe any of them one cent. None of them can legitimately blame slavery for their problems. Those are made up issues that have no basis in the real world.

Blaming slavery is an excuse not a reason.

Actually, it all started with slavery. They were forced here by brutal white slave traders. And then a couple hundred years of horrific treatment followed. They never asked to be ripped away from their families and taken here. This stuff has everything to do with slavery.

At first, I thought you were being facetious and couldn't figure out why you didn't include in your poll "ROTFLMAO".

Black%20slave%20owner_zpseqgl7lpl.jpg

America’s first slave owner was a black man.

Actually, it all started with slavery. They were forced here by brutal slave traders. And then a couple hundred years of horrific treatment followed. This stuff has everything to do with Slavery.

Their own tribal chiefs sold them into slavery.

The problem with you wanting me as a white person to apologize for slavery is that not one member of my family ever owned slaves. I have nothing to apologize for nor is such an apology warranted. If you want an apology get all those that actually owned slaves to apologize to those that were slaves.

Not talkin about a personal apology. I'm talkin about a collective nation acknowledgement and atonement gesture.

It's not. It's a collective acknowledgement of the awful suffering African Americans have endured for centuries. It would do our nation's conscience some good. Maybe then we could move on.

HystericallyLaughingmanandboy.gif

Sadly, i have to admit i've observed a whole lotta vicious white racism on this thread. I'm actually surprised at how much. And it does appear it is coming from self-avowed Republicans.

It really does reinforce the feeling that the Republican Party is a racist Party. It's one of the reasons i'm no longer a Republican. It's gone in a direction that i'm no longer comfortable with. It saddens me.

Last edited:

Horseshit. Why would I apologize for something I haven't done? "Collective acknowledgements" are horseshit propaganda. They mean nothing, and only provide a justification for demanding concessions, like reparations.

If there is no reconciliation, the wound will remain open. The problem won't go away.
By definition. Hang it up. And vote dem to help ALL the victims of the New BS GOP. see sig.

NO ONE IS FOR REPARATIONS, people. 99% GOP strwman.

Who are these "victims" of the GOP?
See sig. Everyone but the rich, statistically.

They are the victims of the Dims who bring in millions of cheap foreign workers every year from third world countries to take their jobs.

Actually, it all started with slavery. They were forced here by brutal slave traders. And then a couple hundred years of horrific treatment followed. This stuff has everything to do with Slavery.

The problem with you wanting me as a white person to apologize for slavery is that not one member of my family ever owned slaves. I have nothing to apologize for nor is such an apology warranted. If you want an apology get all those that actually owned slaves to apologize to those that were slaves.

Not talkin about a personal apology. I'm talkin about a collective nation acknowledgement and atonement gesture.

My conscience is just fine. The "nation's conscience" is nothing but a figment of your imagination. If you feel guilty about slavery, then apologize to whomever you like. I had nothing to do with it, so I don't see why I should be dragged into it.

Sadly, i have to admit i've observed a whole lotta vicious white racism on this thread. I'm actually surprised at how much. And it does appear it is coming from self-avowed Republicans.

It really does reinforce the feeling that the Republican Party is a racist Party. It's one of the reasons i'm no longer a Republican. It's gone in a direction that i'm no longer comfortable with. It saddens me.

Can you quote an example of this so-called "racism?" I haven't noticed any.

You reinforce the feeling that left wingers are all douche bags and dumbasses.

So much hate. Very sad.

Not the administrators. And online colleges are pure GOP scams. Boooshies changed laws to make them possible just in time to screw returning GIs. Your party is a disgrace, dupe.

If there were GOP administrators were running college, they wouldn't allow the liberal communist crap the teachers teach.
Unfortunately they probably would. That's how stupid the GOP is. They will buy the rope to hang us all with.

So much hate. Very sad.
DId you think I wouldn't notice you didn't quote any examples of racism?

Africans sold their brothers into slavery, the ones they didn't eat. They are the despicable ones, not the whites who simply took advantage of the situation.

Compare how blacks current live in America to how they currently live in Africa. They have been rewarded with better lives than they would've lived had their ancestors not been brought here as slaves.

That won't work, dumbass. it's a scam, like lucy getting Charlie Brown to kick the football.