[POLL] - Liberals, how much is a "fair share?" - Taxes

What's the "fair share?"

• Total voters
How am I the idiot? I am going to lump you and PMZ in together. The other poster gave you FACTS about how the government laws actually created monopolies.

According to you and PMZ...
Government prevents monopilies (which is false but i will play)
Monopolies are illegal

The Federal reserve is a monoply. They are the only ones allowed to create currency in the US.

But the Federal Reserve was created by the government, AND is legal.
Therefore the premise that Governments prevent monopolies is flase.
Therefore the premise that Monopolies are created by the free market is also false.

Because you are attempting to define things that are defined by law, economics science, and business accounting. That, and you embellish other peoples presentation. And you are refusing to accept the reality which has been determined by others smarter than you. I detect a certain lack of allowing feedback, acknowledging the determination of definitions by the experts in the field. I am pretty sure you are neither a lawyer or an economist. Rejecting what has already been defined is a mental issue, in part the Dunn-Kruger effect.

No where did anyone say that the government prevents all monopolies. I simply pointed out the fact that they are illegal by US Law. And, the legality, the enforcement, sanctioning, and the creation of monopolies by the US government aren't at odds with each other. Surely you realize that the government can and does allow for patent rights which create monopolies until the patent runs out. Then, if conditions are right, as for Alcoa, a natural monopoly may ensue. This gets tried in court under anti-trust law, establishing the monopoly to be at odds with the law and therefore illegal. That the government creates monopolies doesn't mean that they also determine monopolies to be illegal.

By your reasoning, seat belts in automobiles don't prevent injuries because injuries occur while people are wearing a seat belt.

Yes, monopolies are created by the free market. You seem to be starting with the premise that the free market can't create monopolies and then attempting to force some false logic to make it so. How you manage this is beyond me.

That monopolies are created in the free market is well established and a simple search for description of monopolies will yield this information. One has to intentionally ignore the information presented by economists, the US government, and business. That the Federal Reserve might be considered a monopoly doesn't negate that the free market creates monopolies naturally or that the Supreme Court has found companies in violation of anti-trust laws on multiple occasions.

The Federal Reserve doesn't create the US currency that is used in the private economy and market place. The Federal Reserve creates money in the reserve accounts of reserve banks. It is called "outside money". The money we use is created by private banks as business loans, consumer loans, etc. It is called "inside money". Inside and outside money don't mix. The money supply created by private banks, outside money, is larger than the money supply created by the Federal Reserve. The last measure of M2 is 10,947.7 Billions of Dollars. The last measure of the monetary base is 3,682.285 Billions of Dollars. Historically, M1, the money used for purchases of goods and services, has been 1.5 to 3 times the monetary base.

The specific ratio is shown here;

fredgraph.png

It is M1/Mb. M1, the inside money used in exchanges, the money in circulation, is always more than Mb. And as the Federal Reserve only creates outside money, Mb, at the very least we can say that the difference, (M1-Mb), is clearly not created by the Federal Reserve.

Still, it is certainly incorrect to say that the Federal Reserve creates US currency when they create far less than the functioning money supply. All the Federal Reserve does is make outside money available through the reserve banking system. The private banks then creates money based on demand. It is correct to say that the money supply is created by the private banking system because, in fact, it is. It would be incorrect to say that the Treasury Department creates money in the US economy because, while it does print and mint, that money only becomes inside money when a private bank decides to do so. It may be better said that money creation is done by the combined behavior of the Federal Reserve, the Treasury Department, and the private banking system. If we have to pick one to speak of as being the major source, it would be the private banking system. As M1 is inside money and Mb is outside money, the Federal Reserve doesn't actually create the money inside the economy.

The Federal Reserve's role is to stabilize the money supply.

This fact, that the Federal Reserve's role is to stabilize the money supply goes right back to the central point brought about this discussion. Lacking the government and Federal Reserve's role in stabilizing the money supply, the economy would go to shit repeatedly. And there in lies the point. Money has no purpose except in exchange. It is far more a public good than anything else.

There is one concept that is clearly missing from your considerations, the concept of "and". Governments AND the free market creates monopolies. Governments sanction AND suppress monopolies. Monopolies are illegal in the US by Federal law AND health insurance companies were exempt from anti trust laws.

Private banks AND the Federal Reserve create money. The government AND the free market create monopolies. Monopolies are illegal in Federal law AND some monopolies are not illegal.

Whatever you have come to believe is simply wrong. And you have created false logic based on false or a lack of information

Understanding Inside Money and Outside Money | PRAGMATIC CAPITALISM

The basis of your beleif system is not based on logic and reason. So everything else that comes from you is Bull Shit.

PMZ stated that Government prevents monopolies (which is bullshit, look at communism. i dont care if he wants to say "american government")
You tend to agree and said that monopolies are illegale

Federal Reserve=monopoly=created by the government=legal
Therefore it is false that Government prevents monopolies and they are illegal

Its simple logic. Explain how it is incorrect.

I will argue you seatbelt explanation.
No one has ever claimed that seat belts prevent injury in car accidents.
People do claim that Seat Belts reduce the risk of injury.

If either of you want to retract the statement that government prevents monopolies, we can move on to another point.

I hope someone else has the time to take you to school on the Federal Reserve, because that is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. They are the ones who caused this mess.

By all means, do present evidence that my Federal Reserve information is incorrect.

I did. You didn't read it.

That is it, really, you just make things up yourself with no basis in reality.

I gave you both a micro economics text book and link to the pragmatic capitalist that describes the banking system.

You apparently don't know what bullshit is. Bullshit is unsupported and unsubstantiated statement, what you do.

Last edited:
P.S. I suggest you do not refer to our system as being a “capitalist” system. The term “capitalism” was popularized by Marx to attack the phrases "free trade", “free enterprise” and “free market” which our founders often used, but never used the term capitalism, which does not appear during our founders era.

JWK

As many times as I've read the Constitution, I just don't recall the Article on economic systems that said anything about capitalism.

Now i am calling your reading skills into question! You can't even read what JWK said correctly. He never said capitalism was in the constituion, he actually said the oppisite. But you can't read in context, which explains your lack of ability to understand the philosophy of capitalism and freedom.

Pitiful Moronic Zombie so sad

" I was just cautioning against using the phrase "capitalism" to describe what our founder sought to protect with a written constitution."

What economic system do you recall in the Constitution that "our founder sought to protect"?

I realize you don't know this, but the 5th Amendment protects the institution of private property, which is the basis of capitalism.

Monopolies are illegal. (ok)
The Federal Reserve is a Monopoly.
Therefore the Fed Res is illegal

I stand by my earlier statement that monopolies come into existance with the support of governemnt, not in a capitalist society.

Thank you for proving my point for me

Your "logic", if we can call it that, is absurd. What is legal and illegal is by government definition. By govt definition, monopolies are illegal and the history of US economics includes the history of anti trust suits. By definition, by law, the Federal Reserve is not an illegal monopoly. By law, until recently, health insurance companies were exempt from Federal anti trust laws making them not monopoly.

Natural monopolies come about naturally as a result of the free market. Economies of scale is the typical process.

Your refusal to learn just relegates yourself to being an idiot. You haven't "proven" anything.

The goal of every capitalist business is to create a monopoly in their market by putting their competition out of business. Than it's clear, high profit sailing.

The goal of everyone who buys a lottery ticket is to win the big prize. However, we all understand the reality of the odds.

Regardless of the goals of businessmen, the market economy makes it impossible to achieve a monopoly.

So britpat, do you have that misbehaving child's parents' permission to splash his face all over the internet? Do you abuse your own children in this way? Or do you keep that kind of behavior quiet so the authorities don't find out?

Has anyone ever kicked you in the nuts repeatedly, until you collapsed into a heap and passed out?

If not, why not?

Orogenicman is just trying to get my goat. It isn't working.

Now i am calling your reading skills into question! You can't even read what JWK said correctly. He never said capitalism was in the constituion, he actually said the oppisite. But you can't read in context, which explains your lack of ability to understand the philosophy of capitalism and freedom.

Pitiful Moronic Zombie so sad

" I was just cautioning against using the phrase "capitalism" to describe what our founder sought to protect with a written constitution."

What economic system do you recall in the Constitution that "our founder sought to protect"?

I realize you don't know this, but the 5th Amendment protects the institution of private property, which is the basis of capitalism.

That's certainly the big stretch of the day.

Your "logic", if we can call it that, is absurd. What is legal and illegal is by government definition. By govt definition, monopolies are illegal and the history of US economics includes the history of anti trust suits. By definition, by law, the Federal Reserve is not an illegal monopoly. By law, until recently, health insurance companies were exempt from Federal anti trust laws making them not monopoly.

Natural monopolies come about naturally as a result of the free market. Economies of scale is the typical process.

Your refusal to learn just relegates yourself to being an idiot. You haven't "proven" anything.

The goal of every capitalist business is to create a monopoly in their market by putting their competition out of business. Than it's clear, high profit sailing.

The goal of everyone who buys a lottery ticket is to win the big prize. However, we all understand the reality of the odds.

Regardless of the goals of businessmen, the market economy makes it impossible to achieve a monopoly.

The Justice Dept begs to differ with you. That's why there are at least a few M&As every year judged to be in restraint of free trade that they don't approve.

Wrong. The institution of private property is the sum total of capitalism. To abolish capitalism, you have to abolish the institution of private property.

Wrong. The institution of private property is the sum total of capitalism. To abolish capitalism, you have to abolish the institution of private property.

Too late; we have publicly owned Parks and Libraries.

The Justice Dept begs to differ with you. That's why there are at least a few M&As every year judged to be in restraint of free trade that they don't approve.

The justice department has goals other than the truth: the primary one being prosecuting enemies of the Administration.

What the heck is an "M&A?" Regardless, the Justice department prosecutes corporations because they pissed off the administration or some Congressman, not because of any objective evidence that they engaged in "restraint of trade."

Nobody wants to abolish capitalism or private property.

The justice department has goals other than the truth: the primary one being prosecuting enemies of the Administration.

What the heck is an "M&A?" Regardless, the Justice department prosecutes corporations because they pissed off the administration or some Congressman, not because of any objective evidence that they engaged in "restraint of trade."

Mergers and acquisitions.

Your boogeyman story is merely another monster in the Republican closet.

They really don't work anymore.

People come here from African nations and find work immediately, feed and clothe their families and do not expect anything other than opportunity. The woman from Ghana that works at the hospice my sister died at today earns $15 a hour as a CNA.
They do not cry like whiny 5 year olds. They come here because there are people that can become wealthy here. Wealth grows the economy from the demand for that wealth.
Incredible anyone would be so naive and gullible to believe otherwise. People come here and find work and the majority on entitlement programs are there because of a lack of work ethic or an acceptance of sitting the bench while others pass them by.

People come here from African nations and find work immediately, feed and clothe their families and do not expect anything other than opportunity. The woman from Ghana that works at the hospice my sister died at today earns $15 a hour as a CNA.
They do not cry like whiny 5 year olds. They come here because there are people that can become wealthy here. Wealth grows the economy from the demand for that wealth.
Incredible anyone would be so naive and gullible to believe otherwise. People come here and find work and the majority on entitlement programs are there because of a lack of work ethic or an acceptance of sitting the bench while others pass them by.

So, you believe that US unemployment is at zero and corporations are fighting to find workers?

That means that in 5 years President Obama has completely turned around the Great Recession and restored the country to Clintonomics.

Mergers "restrain trade" only in the imaginations of the gullible. There is no objective criteria that defines when a company is guilty of restraining trade. It's purely up to the arbitrary prejudices of the judge presiding on the case.

If Congress passed a law saying that the number pie = 3.5, numbskulls like you would insist that was indeed the value of pie.

Mergers "restrain trade" only in the imaginations of the gullible. There is no objective criteria that defines when a company is guilty of restraining trade. It's purely up to the arbitrary prejudices of the judge presiding on the case.

If Congress passed a law saying that the number pie = 3.5, numbskulls like you would insist that was indeed the value of pie.

You don't know what M&As are, but you are an expert in them.

You have a conservative sized ego.

Forum List

Back