Post Trump Tower fire, remember Trump fought SPRINKLER systems in NY in high rises

centerleftFL

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2018
Zero surprise.

Trump once fought legislation requiring sprinklers in NYC buildings

NICOLE HENSLEY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 10:37 PM

Nearly two decades before the deadly fire on the 50th floor of Trump Tower, President Trump was among the most prominent New York developers lobbying against legislation that would have required sprinklers in all residential buildings.

Following two fatal fires in Brooklyn and Manhattan in 1998, then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani and other elected officials debated legislation mandating landlords to retrofit existing buildings with sprinklers, if they did not already have them. Trump lobbied then-Councilman Archie Spigner that sprinklers were too expensive — at $4 per square foot — to install throughout an entire building, the New York Times reported at the time.

Ultimately, Giuliani signed legislation in 1999 that grandfathered in existing buildings like Trump Towers,
meaning they were not required to be retrofitted. Additionally, the bill would not force developers to install sprinklers if their building permits had already been filed, which was the case for the Trump World Tower....

Trump fought legislation requiring sprinklers in NYC buildings

He would still lobby against them

He wasn't the only one. Large retrofits like that are expensive and the tenants usually don't want them.

That's why they instead go with fireproofing between units to contain the fire as much as possible until firefighters can get to it. They also require standpipe systems so the firefighters don't have to drag their hoses up multiple stories.

Most residential tenants hate sprinklers due to the damage they can do if triggers accidentally.

Not only that, the victim he called a crazy jew.
ja5f0g12ivq01.png

So we have an example of a fire that PROVES Trump was right. A significant fire in one unit that did not spread outward, upward, or downward. I would wager that there was far more water damage than fire damage at the end of the day. In fact, had sprinklers been in place, there would have probably been more damage than the destruction of one unit that actually did occur.

Adding sprinklers to an existing building is a horrifically expensive undertaking - one of those operations that would cost MULTIPLES of the original estimated cost, especially in a rogues gallery like New York City. I've done contracting there, and I know what I'm talking about.

Why? Because the contractors would know that once they got the contract, there would essentially be no limits to the number of change orders that would flow out of the work.

And of course this thread is yet another point in a long line of idiotic criticisms stemming out of TDS rather than reality.

Forum List

Back