Powder coating bullets

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Tried my hand at powder coating some bullets this morning, and it worked pretty well. Powder coating is a process where powdered paint is baked on metal at a temperature of 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Un-jacketed or cast bullets have to be lubricated to keep the bore from leading up, and powder coating has become the cheapest and easiest way. I already had cheap air-fryer I picked up at Goodwill for $4.99 and cut a silicone baking mat to fit inside the tray. To monitor the temperature, I drilled a hole through one side and inserted an industrial thermometer...

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

pc3.jpg

I bought the powdered paint on Ebay for about $17 for a pound with free shipping. Eastman is probably the most widely-used brand of paint...

pc4.jpg

The cast bullets are warmed in the toaster oven first, up to about 200 degrees. This helps the powder stick to it. The bullets are then dumped into a plastic container and shaken for a couple minutes. The static electricity generated causes the powder to stick to the cast bullets. I also have on order a container of plastic airsoft pellets. Adding some of those creates more static, and helps the powder to stick...

pc5.jpg

Once the bullets are coated, they're picked out with a nitrile glove, placed on the silicone mat, and baked at 400F for 20 minutes. They are then dumped in a pan of cold water to harden them. I usually water-quench them right out of the mold, which gives them a higher Brinell hardness, but baking them at 400F changes the hardness of them. So re-quenching them after baking re-hardens them.

The bullets were ran through a sizing die after casting, then again after coating. Here are some 124 grain .357 diameter ones I coated, to be used for .38 Special and .357 magnum...

pc6.jpg

pc7.jpg

A few 220 grain .44 hollow points...

pc8.jpg

pc9.jpg

This works on rifle bullets as well. This is one of the .314" to be used in a British .303...

pc9a.jpg

The powder coating is virtually indestructible. You can put the bullet in a vise and the coating won't flake off...

pc9b.jpg

Powder coating bullets​

What's the advantatge to having a coloured bullet?

Darker colors do a better job of sticking. The red powder was cheap, but you can make them any color you want.

The bullets you've selected will in my opinion, make you a person of interest to the FBI.
Are you a teenager?

I'm quite serious.
The selection would in my opinion, be a much greater indication of possible trouble than being an AR-15 owner.
The hollow-points put it over the top IMO.

There's no reason to be alarmed about what I've said, if your intentions are safe and clean.
But your mild objection doesn't play well for a start!

I just expected that you wanted to be noticed by having a discussion?

It would be expected that you would offer a reason for the hollow-points. For a gun kept under your pillow might work?

It would be expected that you would offer a reason for the hollow-points. For a gun kept under your pillow might work?

Hollow point give the projectile a better expansion, thereby spreading the ballistic energy in ft/lbs over a larger area. 44 magnum is often used as a hunting caliber, and all hunting ammunition is required to to expand upon hitting whatever game is being hunted. Full metal jacket ammunition is restricted for hunting in most every state.

I use the .44 caliber HP because that's the only bullet mold I have in that caliber. Even though it would be legal in my state to harvest a deer with a handgun in that caliber, those are just going to be used to punch holes in paper.

But why does it need colour at all?

It doesn't need to be, powdered paint also comes in clear color as well.. Most people just use red, orange, green, or blue.

Up until now, I have been buying those from a company that manufactures them. But I have two five-gallon buckets of wheel weights, so why not save money and make my own?

But why does it need colour at all?
It's not the color, it's the coating that protects the gun "Un-jacketed or cast bullets have to be lubricated to keep the bore from leading up, and powder coating has become the cheapest and easiest way."

Hollow point give the projectile a better expansion, thereby spreading the ballistic energy in ft/lbs over a larger area. 44 magnum is often used as a hunting caliber, and all hunting ammunition is required to to expand upon hitting whatever game is being hunted. Full metal jacket ammunition is restricted for hunting in most every state.

I use the .44 caliber HP because that's the only bullet mold I have in that caliber. Even though it would be legal in my state to harvest a deer with a handgun in that caliber, those are just going to be used to punch holes in paper.
I'm aware of all that, except the bit about the handgun being legal for hunting. But I also know that you're not saying all that for my sake. It's your offer of an explanation to somebody that matters. Anyway just forget it for now. No harm done yet, and not a lot of harm done if your intentions are harmless.

Do you own an AR-15?
Do you use human silouette targets?

You're pretty much obliged to answer now aren't you?

Oh, and do you own a confederate flag?

Not as if that means something bad. It's just that everything together might start to add up ........................?
You've said quite a lot on this forum.

I'm aware of all that, except the bit about the handgun being legal for hunting. But I also know that you're not saying all that for my sake. It's your offer of an explanation to somebody that matters. Anyway just forget it for now. No harm done yet, and not a lot of harm done if your intentions are harmless.

Do you own an AR-15?
Do you use human silouette targets?

You're pretty much obliged to answer now aren't you?

I have nothing to hide. No, I don't own an AR-15, I own an AK-47. It guards my home and property against four-legged varmints like coyotes, and the possibility of two-legged varmints like people who ask too many dumb questions.

:laughing0301:

And no, I don't use human silhouette targets. I shoot round AR500 steel targets at 25 and 75 yards or paper targets at 25 or 75 yd yards. If I need to sight in a rifle at 100 yards, I go to the public range.

Not as if that means something bad. It's just that everything together might start to add up ........................?

What are you jabbering about?

I have nothing to hide. No, I don't own an AR-15, I own an AK-47. It guards my home and property against four-legged varmints like coyotes, and the possibility of two-legged varmints like people who ask too many dumb questions.

:laughing0301:

And no, I don't use human silhouette targets. I shoot round AR500 steel targets at 25 and 75 yards or paper targets at 25 or 75 yd yards. If I need to sight in a rifle at 100 yards, I go to the public range.
Don't get pissy on people that ask questions that you would rather not hear.

I'm only trying to have you decide on what questions you need to answer and those you don't.
So do you own a confederate flag and a flagholder in your pickup truck?
Or a conferate copy uniform?

I take the AK-47 as a yes.

Sigh, I think that sometimes us retired folks have too much time on our hands. ;)

That said lubricating is a PITA....Sort of the same reason experienced reloaders spend the money on carbide dies.
No, in fact it's not the same reason.
Don't bother correcting yourself, you obviously know.
would you be interested in answering all the questions too?

Forum List

Back