President Obama says America is Exceptional, Stalinist Putin and RWs disagree..

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
:eusa_whistle:

And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/op...yria.html?_r=0
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/312534-op-ed-by-vladimir-putin-for-the-american-people.html

And here's the thing. It was an American paper that carried Stalinist Putin's opinion.

No russian paper would pick up an opinion piece by an American leader if it disagreed at all with the Stalinist.

THAT..is what makes America, exceptional.

And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/312534-op-ed-by-vladimir-putin-for-the-american-people.html

And here's the thing. It was an American paper that carried Stalinist Putin's opinion.

No russian paper would pick up an opinion piece by an American leader if it disagreed at all with the Stalinist.

That's not why Obama says we're exceptional. He says :

America is not the world’s policeman. Terrible things happen across the globe, and it is beyond our means to right every wrong, but when with modest effort and risk we can stop children from being gassed to death and thereby make our own children safer over the long run, I believe we should act.

That’s what makes America different. That’s what makes us exceptional. With humility, but with resolve, let us never lose sight of that essential truth.

You fucked up a good point with your RW aside.

Fuck obama.

he/she/it erects straw men on the left and straw men on the Right, with him standing in the middle like some kind of hero.

Only an obama knob-slurper buys into that shit. Like the ones too stupid to see what I'm taking about

Funny how cum dumpsters like swallow couldn't help but gratify themselves seeing Putin needle Bush by invading Georgia.

Now that he's exposing what a complete incompetent fool their messiah is he's a "hero" of their enemies.

Having Putin as a president is probably like having herpes, because having obozo for a president is like having AIDS. They both suck, but one is clearly worse than the other.

Key word is "opinion", idiot!

Oh and comparing our first amendment rights to Russia is tremendously stupid of you.

Obama and the left have railed against the concept of American Exceptionalism for 5+ years. Now all of a sudden he's a conservative?

It's crap. Obama is a befuddled post turtle. his foreign policy, weak and ineffectual from the start, is flailing around like a chicken with it's head chopped off. He doesn't know what to do or even what the teleprompter is saying anymore.

That's not why Obama says we're exceptional. He says :

America is not the world’s policeman. Terrible things happen across the globe, and it is beyond our means to right every wrong, but when with modest effort and risk we can stop children from being gassed to death and thereby make our own children safer over the long run, I believe we should act.

That’s what makes America different. That’s what makes us exceptional. With humility, but with resolve, let us never lose sight of that essential truth.

Eyah.

He's made the point many times:

I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I am enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world. If you think about the site of this summit and what it means, I don't think America should be embarrassed to see evidence of the sacrifices of our troops, the enormous amount of resources that were put into Europe postwar, and our leadership in crafting an alliance that ultimately led to the unification of Europe. We should take great pride in that.

And if you think of our current situation, the United States remains the largest economy in the world. We have unmatched military capability. And I think that we have a core set of values that are enshrined in our Constitution, in our body of law, in our democratic practices, in our belief in free speech and equality that, though imperfect, are exceptional.
Obama Has Mentioned 'American Exceptionalism' More Than Bush - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)

Obama and the left have railed against the concept of American Exceptionalism for 5+ years. Now all of a sudden he's a conservative?

It's crap. Obama is a befuddled post turtle. his foreign policy, weak and ineffectual from the start, is flailing around like a chicken with it's head chopped off. He doesn't know what to do or even what the teleprompter is saying anymore.

It doesn't matter. Whatever the idiot does, he will be praised by the DISGUSTING FILTH in the LSM and his little fuck boy admirers will line up with knee pads on to slurp on whatever he offers.

Kerry makes an off-hand comment that was meant as a sarcastic joke, the White House comes out and immediately slaps it down, Putin picks up on it and runs with it, the Stuttering Clusterfukk latches on to it as a way out and....

the DISGUSTING FILTH in the LSM is swooning with admiration over the brilliance of the Stuttering Clusterfukk's diplomatic skills.

Nothing will be done about this. Nothing.

This will go into the Trash Bin of History alongside Benghazi, Fast and Furious, the IRS targeting Conservatives, the NSA, the White House tapping the phones of over a hundred Reporters, tapping the phone of FNC Reporter James Rosen and even his MOTHER'S phone and at least ten other fuck-ups and outright criminal activities by this criminal regime.

As soon as something else grabs the headlines, it's over. Never to be written about or heard from again.

Just like Putin, Assad and Iran want.

While our dimocrap knob slurpers continue their lies

Complete and utter bullshit.

Oh and comparing our first amendment rights to Russia is tremendously stupid of you.

In the context of American Exceptionalism? :lol:

You really have to be a complete rockhead not to understand that.

Oh..look up context.

That might help.

Since when have "rightwingers" not believed in American exceptionalism?

Reagan believed in it, Bush believed in it. Usually if they mention it, liberals roll their eyes at the phrase. Obama uses it with caveats, such as: "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."

So keep spinning, when the truth is neither Putin nor Obama believe in American exceptionalism. So please leave us "righties" out of your Dear Leader's epic failures. He fell flat on his face by his own doing, Republican "obstructionists" had nothing to do with it. Can you make one post about Obama's actions without blamming Republicans in some way?

Complete and utter bullshit.

What's bullshit is why you are still allowed to lie your stupid fucking ass off on this Board....

Barack Obama's Top 10 Apologies: How the President Has Humiliated a Superpower

1. Apology to France and Europe ("America Has Shown Arrogance")

Speech by President Obama, Rhenus Sports Arena, Strasbourg, France, April 3, 2009.[1]

So we must be honest with ourselves. In recent years we've allowed our Alliance to drift. I know that there have been honest disagreements over policy, but we also know that there's something more that has crept into our relationship. In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

2. Apology to the Muslim World ("We Have Not Been Perfect")

President Obama, interview with Al Arabiya, January 27, 2009.[2]

My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy. We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect. But if you look at the track record, as you say, America was not born as a colonial power, and that the same respect and partnership that America had with the Muslim world as recently as 20 or 30 years ago, there's no reason why we can't restore that.
3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas ("At Times We Sought to Dictate Our Terms")

President scumbag address to the Summit of the Americas opening ceremony, Hyatt Regency, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, April 17, 2009.[3]

All of us must now renew the common stake that we have in one another. I know that promises of partnership have gone unfulfilled in the past, and that trust has to be earned over time. While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms. But I pledge to you that we seek an equal partnership. There is no senior partner and junior partner in our relations; there is simply engagement based on mutual respect and common interests and shared values. So I'm here to launch a new chapter of engagement that will be sustained throughout my administration.
The United States will be willing to acknowledge past errors where those errors have been made.

4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders ("Some Restoration of America's Standing in the World")

News conference by President Obama, ExCel Center, London, United Kingdom, April 2, 2009.[4]

I would like to think that with my election and the early decisions that we've made, that you're starting to see some restoration of America's standing in the world. And although, as you know, I always mistrust polls, international polls seem to indicate that you're seeing people more hopeful about America's leadership.
I just think in a world that is as complex as it is, that it is very important for us to be able to forge partnerships as opposed to simply dictating solutions. Just to try to crystallize the example, there's been a lot of comparison here about Bretton Woods. "Oh, well, last time you saw the entire international architecture being remade." Well, if there's just Roosevelt and Churchill sitting in a room with a brandy, that's an easier negotiation. But that's not the world we live in, and it shouldn't be the world that we live in.

5. Apology for the War on Terror ("We Went off Course")

President scumbag, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009.[5]

Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. I believe that many of these decisions were motivated by a sincere desire to protect the American people. But I also believe that all too often our government made decisions based on fear rather than foresight; that all too often our government trimmed facts and evidence to fit ideological predispositions. Instead of strategically applying our power and our principles, too often we set those principles aside as luxuries that we could no longer afford. And during this season of fear, too many of us--Democrats and Republicans, politicians, journalists, and citizens--fell silent.
In other words, we went off course. And this is not my assessment alone. It was an assessment that was shared by the American people who nominated candidates for President from both major parties who, despite our many differences, called for a new approach--one that rejected torture and one that recognized the imperative of closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay.

6. Apology for Guantanamo in France ("Sacrificing Your Values")

b

Our two republics were founded in service of these ideals. In America, it is written into our founding documents as "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." In France: "Liberté"--absolutely--"egalité, fraternité." Our moral authority is derived from the fact that generations of our citizens have fought and bled to uphold these values in our nations and others. And that's why we can never sacrifice them for expedience's sake. That's why I've ordered the closing of the detention center in Guantanamo Bay. That's why I can stand here today and say without equivocation or exception that the United States of America does not and will not torture.
In dealing with terrorism, we can't lose sight of our values and who we are. That's why I closed Guantanamo. That's why I made very clear that we will not engage in certain interrogation practices. I don't believe that there is a contradiction between our security and our values. And when you start sacrificing your values, when you lose yourself, then over the long term that will make you less secure.

7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament ("Our Own Darker Periods in Our History")

Speech by President scumbag to the Turkish Parliament, Ankara, Turkey, April 6, 2009.[7]

Every challenge that we face is more easily met if we tend to our own democratic foundation. This work is never over. That's why, in the United States, we recently ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. That's why we prohibited--without exception or equivocation--the use of torture. All of us have to change. And sometimes change is hard.
Another issue that confronts all democracies as they move to the future is how we deal with the past. The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. Facing the Washington Monument that I spoke of is a memorial of Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed those who were enslaved even after Washington led our Revolution. Our country still struggles with the legacies of slavery and segregation, the past treatment of Native Americans.
Human endeavor is by its nature imperfect. History is often tragic, but unresolved, it can be a heavy weight. Each country must work through its past. And reckoning with the past can help us seize a better future.

8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas ("The United States Has Not Pursued and Sustained Engagement with Our Neighbors")

Opinion editorial by scumbag n chief: "Choosing a Better Future in the Americas," April 16, 2009

Too often, the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors. We have been too easily distracted by other priorities, and have failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas. My Administration is committed to the promise of a new day. We will renew and sustain a broader partnership between the United States and the hemisphere on behalf of our common prosperity and our common security.

9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA ("Potentially We've Made Some Mistakes")

Remarks by thescumbag to CIA employees, CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, April 20, 2009.

The remarks followed the controversial decision to release Office of Legal Counsel memoranda detailing CIA enhanced interrogation techniques used against terrorist suspects.

So don't be discouraged by what's happened in the last few weeks. Don't be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we've made some mistakes. That's how we learn. But the fact that we are willing to acknowledge them and then move forward, that is precisely why I am proud to be President of the United States, and that's why you should be proud to be members of the CIA.

10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington ("A Rallying Cry for Our Enemies")

scumbag in chief, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009

There is also no question that Guantanamo set back the moral authority that is America's strongest currency in the world. Instead of building a durable framework for the struggle against al Qaeda that drew upon our deeply held values and traditions, our government was defending positions that undermined the rule of law. In fact, part of the rationale for establishing Guantanamo in the first place was the misplaced notion that a prison there would be beyond the law--a proposition that the Supreme Court soundly rejected. Meanwhile, instead of serving as a tool to counter terrorism, Guantanamo became a symbol that helped al Qaeda recruit terrorists to its cause. Indeed, the existence of Guantanamo likely created more terrorists around the world than it ever detained.

So the record is clear: Rather than keeping us safer, the prison at Guantanamo has weakened American national security. It is a rallying cry for our enemies.

Last edited:

Oh..look up context.

That might help.

No you moron, it was a direct response to you asinine comparison.

As I stated before, exceptionalism is subjective.

Reagan believed in it, Bush believed in it. Usually if they mention it, liberals roll their eyes at the phrase. Obama uses it with caveats, such as: "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."

So keep spinning, when the truth is neither Putin nor Obama believe in American exceptionalism. So please leave us "righties" out of your Dear Leader's epic failures. He fell flat on his face by his own doing, Republican "obstructionists" had nothing to do with it. Can you make one post about Obama's actions without blamming Republicans in some way?

Conservatives are sort of "Johnny come lateys" to the whole notion of the United States of America. They didn't write the Constitution and didn't have any part in the Revolution. Quite the opposite, they tried to stop it. Shortly there after they tried to split the nation with the Whiskey Rebellion and Washington had to put a stop to that. They tried it again during the Civil war. After that..they decided to work within the system to get their agenda across and have put up all sorts of Nativist and racist laws. Reagan and Bush even latched on to that agenda, somewhat, by calling the "government" (which is by the people and for the people), "the problem" while expanding the very government they said was the problem.

For Conservatives..America is exceptional because of it's power to destroy. That begins and ends it.

For Liberals? It's the free speech, justice, liberty, and fair play that sets us apart from other nations.

Sallow, is America exceptional? Oh my sweet Lord, YES! A nation comprised of 'mutts' mostly, who argue with each other vehemently on subjects that really don't mean squat to the bottom line. But when 'pushed' from outside? The only good analogy I would offer is that once I went on a coon hunt and the dogs cornered a badger (very unusual in this part of the country). That night, out of six dogs, we lost four of them. One of them had to be put down later and the other wouldn't hunt again. PERIOD. We never actually saw the badger, just his prints. And the pieces of the dogs he tore apart. No one with any credibility would deny this countries exceptionalism.

But you have to admit that Barry and his handlers look weak, disorganized, inconsistent and without direction. There isn't much that I agree with the President on, but I absolutely HATE IT that someone as low as Putin got one over on him. Putin is a snake and whether the President allowed it to happen or didn't see it coming or whatever happened, he allowed Putin to snatch the momentum. The President looks ineffectual and confused at best.

I do not deny that Chemical Weapons were used against civilians in Syria. I am almost convinced that Assad used them. But, if we are going to do something, you don't telegraph your punches. When you do, then the target (if they have any brains at all) moves out of the way. Not only did Syria move but, because of Putin, they counter punched at the President himself. And they landed a good one!

The President, in his own words, drew the RED LINE. That line was crossed not just once, but twice. Then he begins a very public dialogue of what he's going to do and when he's going to do it. Assad is Putin's butt budy. Putin is not going to allow the President to simply do what he wants when he wants and if Putin can turn the situation around to his favor, he will. Good God, the man is ex-KGB and he isn't an idiot and the President tried to blow him off. Putin turned it around and used it against the President. Very amateurish. Course, it also doesn't surprise me. The President isn't very good at foreign policy anyway in my opinion and makes a lousy Commander-in-Chief. Dude, you've a military that drips testosterone and is so damn macho it literally DEFINES the word for God's sake. Grow some cajones!

I would have been much more in his camp if I would have woke one moring to see television footage of smoldering wreckage that they identified as Assad's military. Then was told by the President, "See Assad, I told you NOT to cross the red line. Do it again, and we'll kick you in the balls."

Conservatives are sort of "Johnny come lateys" to the whole notion of the United States of America. They didn't write the Constitution and didn't have any part in the Revolution. Quite the opposite, they tried to stop it. Shortly there after they tried to split the nation with the Whiskey Rebellion and Washington had to put a stop to that. They tried it again during the Civil war. After that..they decided to work within the system to get their agenda across and have put up all sorts of Nativist and racist laws. Reagan and Bush even latched on to that agenda, somewhat, by calling the "government" (which is by the people and for the people), "the problem" while expanding the very government they said was the problem.

For Conservatives..America is exceptional because of it's power to destroy. That begins and ends it.

For Liberals? It's the free speech, justice, liberty, and fair play that sets us apart from other nations.

You have it backwards. There are more pro-constitution types in the republican party than the democrat party. The number of neo-con war loving republicans is the same number as the war loving democrats. There are actually more peace loving republicans than there are war loving republicans. Unfortunately the war hawk authoritarians are the one leading both parties. The peace loving folks of both parties get shouted down and called crazy by the authoritarians, media, and military complex. It would seem our military might is no longer for defense and is for sale in the ME and soon asia.

Wow.... I'm nodding in agreement to a Sallow post.

Did you change your meds or something??

(hmmm or maybe I'm 'on' something) ;)

:lmao:

Oh..look up context.

That might help.

No you moron, it was a direct response to you asinine comparison.

As I stated before, exceptionalism is subjective.

Of course it's "subjective".

And dependent upon criteria.

But for the most part people who like the Freedoms that the Constitutions provides it's citizens are bound to think American is an exceptional nation when compared to other nations that don't have the same Freedoms.

That's sort of a hard concept for a person like you to get.

Don't try to take it in all at once. Let it wash over you..and take some time to let it sink in.

Sometimes these things are best taken in little pieces.

Let me help.

F-R-E-E-D-O-M spells freedom.

Start with that.

Forum List

Back