Private Gun ownership Save Lives.

This is going to be the safest block on the street.

Welcome to the 'Glock Block': Vigilante neighbors in Oregon town say they are no longer calling the police and have armed themselves instead | Mail Online

Welcome to the 'Glock Block': Vigilante neighbors in Oregon town say they are no longer calling the police and have armed themselves instead

Frustrated by an increase in petty crime, residents of an Oregon neighborhood have decided to arm themselves instead of calling the police.

Residents of a Jennings Lodge neighborhood in Clackamas county, Ore., have put up fliers advertising their new policy, calling themselves the 'Glock Block', according to KOIN News.

'This is a Glock Block,' the fliers read. 'We don't call 911.'

Along with some of her neighbors, Coy Toloman has put up the fliers and gotten a concealed carry permit with the hopes of deterring criminals.

While the increase in neighborhood crime is mostly petty, with incidents of vandalism and stolen law ornaments, Toloman has had enough.

'We’re starting a new group,' said Toloman, a resident of Milwaukie, which is just south of Portland, Ore. 'We don’t feel neighborhood watch is sufficient, and we don’t feel the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office is sufficient.'

Toloman said a lawn statue she calls 'Lilly Rose' was stolen off her front porch. She chased after the thief but he got away.

'The radio was on,' she said of the incident.'If he'd gotten in the house...what then?'

Toloman decided to take matters into her own hands, taking a class to get a concealed carry permit.

Other neighbors also have permits, Toloman said, and they discus 'what kind of gun they have' and 'the best gun shop'.

'I think more people should have permits to carry but they should be trained and responsible,'
said Toloman, who is also a breast cancer survivor.

She hopes criminals will see the fliers before trying to rob her again—or
worse.

'I will defend myself and my home,' she said.

Police make a note of cautioning anyone from pursuing vigilante justice, though armed citizens have become more common deterrents to crime.

In northwest Houston, Texas, residents in the the community of Oak Forest were the first to be trained and equipped by the Armed Citizen Project this month, the Associated Press reported.

The Houston nonprofit is giving away free shotguns to single women and other residents of high-crime neighborhoods. Armed Citizen Project plans to offer training in other cities in Texas and Arizona and would like to expand to Chicago and New York this year.

My guns are less likely to kill anyone than you car is.

My car is more likely to serve an essential function in society than your gun is.

So repelling a burglar, or criminal is not a legitimate use?

Then what the fuck are we paying cops for?

Having guns to deter guns is counterproductive. I'd ask if you understand but I know you don't get it. I probably need to rephrase my example so it focuses on you because that's all you care about anyway.

My car is more likely to serve an essential function in society than your gun is.

Having guns to deter guns is counterproductive. I'd ask if you understand but I know you don't get it. I probably need to rephrase my example so it focuses on you because that's all you care about anyway.

And having no gun when thee other guy has a gun or another weapon is only productive for the criminal.

Why do enjoy thoughts of innocent people being taken advantage of by criminals?

so let me ask you this. you are faced with two people who tell you to hand over your money. you have no gun, no protection. it's you against them. so you hand over your money and they rough you up a little. or you refuse. they beat the shit out of you, maybe kill you and take your money.

next situation. I am faced with two guys who tell me to hand over my money. I present them with with a view down the barrel of my pistol. or if the have a weapon pulled, i drop them where they stand.

now you tell me, which one of us is counter productive?

so let me ask you this. you are faced with two people who tell you to hand over your money. you have no gun, no protection. it's you against them. so you hand over your money and they rough you up a little. or you refuse. they beat the shit out of you, maybe kill you and take your money.

next situation. I am faced with two guys who tell me to hand over my money. I present them with with a view down the barrel of my pistol. or if the have a weapon pulled, i drop them where they stand.

Not sure why you have yet to figure out that RDD is trolling you.

Having guns to deter guns is counterproductive.
I'm not deterring guns i am deterring criminals who may or may not have a gun and quite frankly I don't give a shit what weapon a person who is breakinbg into my house is carrying all i care about is stopping a criminal from breaking into my house and possibly harming my wife, my dogs or myself.

I'd ask if you understand but I know you don't get it. I probably need to rephrase my example so it focuses on you because that's all you care about anyway.

You don't seem to understand the concept of protecting your loved ones from those who would do them harm

Skull Pilot -

You don't seem to understand the concept of protecting your loved ones from those who would do them harm

It may be that we understand it better than you think - as long as research shows that our loved ones are in more danger in a home with firearms than in homes without firearms, the statistics do not back up your assumption of safety.

I understand that you FEEL safer - but that feeling should be counter-balanced by the commensurate risk.

M14 -

Can you please stop spamming the thread and let people discuss the issue? Thanks.

Why do you assume both groups of people who are robbing you are unarmed?

Here in Finland, the two guys attempting to rob me are unarmed, so I can probably run for it, call for help or just smack one of them in the face.

In the US, the two guys are both likely to be carrying a weapon and be experienced in its use.

In which situation are you more likely to die?

This is going to be the safest block on the street.

Welcome to the 'Glock Block': Vigilante neighbors in Oregon town say they are no longer calling the police and have armed themselves instead | Mail Online

Welcome to the 'Glock Block': Vigilante neighbors in Oregon town say they are no longer calling the police and have armed themselves instead

Frustrated by an increase in petty crime, residents of an Oregon neighborhood have decided to arm themselves instead of calling the police.

Residents of a Jennings Lodge neighborhood in Clackamas county, Ore., have put up fliers advertising their new policy, calling themselves the 'Glock Block', according to KOIN News.

'This is a Glock Block,' the fliers read. 'We don't call 911.'

Along with some of her neighbors, Coy Toloman has put up the fliers and gotten a concealed carry permit with the hopes of deterring criminals.

While the increase in neighborhood crime is mostly petty, with incidents of vandalism and stolen law ornaments, Toloman has had enough.

'We’re starting a new group,' said Toloman, a resident of Milwaukie, which is just south of Portland, Ore. 'We don’t feel neighborhood watch is sufficient, and we don’t feel the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office is sufficient.'

Toloman said a lawn statue she calls 'Lilly Rose' was stolen off her front porch. She chased after the thief but he got away.

'The radio was on,' she said of the incident.'If he'd gotten in the house...what then?'

Toloman decided to take matters into her own hands, taking a class to get a concealed carry permit.

Other neighbors also have permits, Toloman said, and they discus 'what kind of gun they have' and 'the best gun shop'.

'I think more people should have permits to carry but they should be trained and responsible,'
said Toloman, who is also a breast cancer survivor.

She hopes criminals will see the fliers before trying to rob her again—or
worse.

'I will defend myself and my home,' she said.

Police make a note of cautioning anyone from pursuing vigilante justice, though armed citizens have become more common deterrents to crime.

In northwest Houston, Texas, residents in the the community of Oak Forest were the first to be trained and equipped by the Armed Citizen Project this month, the Associated Press reported.

The Houston nonprofit is giving away free shotguns to single women and other residents of high-crime neighborhoods. Armed Citizen Project plans to offer training in other cities in Texas and Arizona and would like to expand to Chicago and New York this year.

good post

Skull Pilot -

It may be that we understand it better than you think - as long as research shows that our loved ones are in more danger in a home with firearms than in homes without firearms, the statistics do not back up your assumption of safety.

I understand that you FEEL safer - but that feeling should be counter-balanced by the commensurate risk.

M14 -

Can you please stop spamming the thread and let people discuss the issue? Thanks.

If you feel that you are putting your loved ones in danger by owning a firearm, then by all that is holy, don't buy one.

But your feelings have nothing to do with my family.

I'll make you a deal.. I won't try to force you to buy a firearm if you don't try to put any restrictions on me getting one.

Shroom -

Unfortunately, those of us who choose not to own guns also have rights. This is a point overlooked in these debates.

I have no problem with me neighbours owning a weapon provided they have completely a gun-safety course, hold a license and have established their suitability to own a lethal weapon. I do have a problem with my neighbour owning a weapon that endangers the life of myself and my family.

Until background checks and gun-safety courses become mandatory, I cannot know if you are a responsible gun owner or not.

Skull Pilot -

M14 -

If you feel that you are putting your loved ones in danger by owning a firearm, then by all that is holy, don't buy one.

But your feelings have nothing to do with my family.

I'll make you a deal.. I won't try to force you to buy a firearm if you don't try to put any restrictions on me getting one.

I have zero problem with responsible gun owners. The problem is that when we allow responsible gun owners to own those guns, we also open the door to allowing the psychos to own them too. I know we try a little bit to keep the real crazies from owning guns, but we all know that a lot of crazy people end up with guns.

Skull Pilot -

M14 -

There is no risk of my guns harming anyone in my home. My 40 years plus of gun ownership proves that

Skull Pilot -

For you personally,I agree. But then you would pass a background test and safety test, I'm sure.

But what about that twenty-year old college student next door to you who suffers from depression and drinks too much? Would HE pass a psyche evaluation?

Skull Pilot -

For you personally,I agree. But then you would pass a background test and safety test, I'm sure.

But what about that twenty-year old college student next door to you who suffers from depression and drinks too much? Would HE pass a psyche evaluation?

Psych evals?

There are no pscych evals required for gun ownership nor should there be.

Criminal background checks are fine with me I went through all that crap to get my concealed carry permit and I could lose that permit for a plethora of reasons including a drunk driving charge (not conviction)

And the way every little thing is now a mental disorder I don't know if anyone would pass a psych eval.

I drank a lot in my 20s so what? What 20 year old doesn't party like a rock star?

32,000 gun deaths a year in the US. By 2015, death by firearms will exceed deaths from auto accidents. A person is 43 times as likely to be killed by their own gun in their home than by a someone breaking in.

And were guns not so readily available, we would not be having the crimes stats that we do concerning guns.

We have a relatively huge culture of violence, larger than many other countries and lower than some, and it is the culture of animosity that needs to be addressed. The dilemma isn't the firearms but instead a society of violence in the United States.

Forum List

Back