Professional Athletes and Their Tattoos

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Professional golfers, like many other athletes, wear outfits that expose their arms, necks, and faces. Only in the rare team competitons do they wear uniforms, but regardless... I have noted that unlike most other professional athletes, very few golfers (in fact, I haven't seen any) have visible tattoos.

Golfers are exactly the same generation as other professional athletes, aged, say, 19 to 50. They make a lot of money. They don't have to be beholden to team owners or coaches.

Why no tattoos? Seriously,

Wow Tatoos... I don't have any... All most got on in 1976 in Frankfurt, Germany... Shop was closed, so I bought a chunk of Hashish at shit park, got stoned and rode the train back to BK and never looked back as far as tats go... Was going to get...

1649644738594.png

I'm glad I didn't for couple of reasons...

Tats are ceremonial for indigenous tribal people that have religious, culture and family artwork... I suppose it's all right for Suzie to get a porpoise tattooed in her left teat, to each his own...

Now when I see a little skinny guy from Hoboken with a Polynesian Warrior Ink, I wrinkle my nose a little...

Professional golfers, like many other athletes, wear outfits that expose their arms, necks, and faces. Only in the rare team competitons do they wear uniforms, but regardless... I have noted that unlike most other professional athletes, very few golfers (in fact, I haven't seen any) have visible tattoos.

Golfers are exactly the same generation as other professional athletes, aged, say, 19 to 50. They make a lot of money. They don't have to be beholden to team owners or coaches.

Why no tattoos? Seriously,
It's not a team sport so there's none of that tribal crap going on.

Say what you want about tattoos generally, but in all those other sports, athletes from the same generation, in the same economic situation are displaying tattoos over most of their visible skin surfaces. Why not golf?

FWIW, I got my first tattoo last year: an Irish cross on my right forearm. I'm considering getting a veteran-type tattoo on the left arm to balance it out.

Tattoos and blood thinners are not a good combination. Just sayin'.

Say what you want about tattoos generally, but in all those other sports, athletes from the same generation, in the same economic situation are displaying tattoos over most of their visible skin surfaces. Why not golf?
Because a large segment of their revenue stems from endorsements, and many of those companies, such as golf apparel and wealth management companies, likely don't do a lot of business with the tattooed crowd, and likely don't want to be associated with a golfer who is. It likely comes down to finances.

If they had the right tattoo, it would enhance their marketability...e.g., an American flag, or Mt. Rushmore.

I look at it as a desecration of the body. I laugh at women who get “sexy tattoos”. There’s no such thing from my perspective

The reputation comes from a hoi polloi history. A certain civility part of the rules. Except for Happy Gilmore. And bob barker had to go at him to try to wise him up.

...and I suppose the same could be said of tennis players (men). Not many visible tattoos on them dudes neither. I find it interesting. Especially when you look at the "white" players in the NBA (same demographic as golfers and tennis players), who are quite decorated. Is there a contagion, spread by people of Black African ancestry?

Forum List

Back