Professor with "Spider Web" tattoo on his elbow.

thomasrivera

Rookie
Apr 19, 2013
Hello,

I started a change.org petition regarding a Professor at the University of La Verne in Southern

California, openly displaying a "Spider Web" tattoo on his elbow.

Known skinheads and white supremacists Thomas Gibison and James Burmeister have killed

Minority persons in order to earn the right to wear a "Spider Web" tattoo on their elbow.

Do you think the University should have made the Professor cover up the tattoo?

Do you think they should ask him to resign?

He has complaints against him for allegedly harassing African American students.

Sign my petition at: http://www.change.org/petitions/uni...-for-displaying-a-spider-web-tattoo-on-campus

Depends on who you ask. If you're asking me, I would suggest it advocates racially motivated murder and prejudice based on the cases of James Burmeister and Thomas Gibison, as well as other evidence.

If you're talking about interpretation, the tattoo has evolved from at one time signifying "time spent" in jail, to more currently, it signifies having attacked a minority person.

What is your understanding of it?

So, you were a victim of a crime from someone who had a spider web tattoo on their elbow. Now there's another person who has a tattoo of a spider web on his elbow and you assume that every person with a tattoo on their elbow is a minority attacking racist? Wow, you are now an honorary white person. I was attacked by some black guys after a bball game, so now I assume every black guy will attack me, but all I get called is a racist. Interesting.

Just messing with ya, anyway....what makes you think this law professor is not a graduate of the University of Richmond?

Depends on who you ask. If you're asking me, I would suggest it advocates racially motivated murder and prejudice based on the cases of James Burmeister and Thomas Gibison, as well as other evidence.

If you're talking about interpretation, the tattoo has evolved from at one time signifying "time spent" in jail, to more currently, it signifies having attacked a minority person.

What is your understanding of it?

A spider web tattoo is evidence of murder?

A spider web tattoo like any tattoo can mean whatever the person getting it wants it to mean.

So, you were a victim of a crime from someone who had a spider web tattoo on their elbow. Now there's another person who has a tattoo of a spider web on his elbow and you assume that every person with a tattoo on their elbow is a minority attacking racist? Wow, you are now an honorary white person. I was attacked by some black guys after a bball game, so now I assume every black guy will attack me, but all I get called is a racist. Interesting.

Just messing with ya, anyway....what makes you think this law professor is not a graduate of the University of Richmond?

my opinion is that to get called a racist you have to express something either verbally or symbolically, or somehow treat people differently for people to perceive you as such.
If you stop playing basketball with black people, I dont think anyone would call you a racist.

A spider web tattoo like any tattoo can mean whatever the person getting it wants it to mean.

How do I know he didn't committ a murder in his past?

Thats true about meaning, but it also means whatever I reasonably perceive it to mean as well, especially in a work environment.

You have the 1st ammendment right to wear whatever you want when your walking around town but when your at work at a Private University that receives Federal funding, its a different story.

Thats true about meaning, but it also means whatever I reasonably perceive it to mean as well, especially in a work environment.

You have the 1st ammendment right to wear whatever you want when your walking around town but when your at work at a Private University that receives Federal funding, its a different story.

You don't. So go ahead and assume he has and since I don't know if you are mentally stable I'll just assume you're retarded.

Other than research grants and tax breaks for the University being a non-profit or religious school. Private Universities receive no federal dollars.

Besides, wouldn't it be up to the University to define it's dress code?

You don't, but then neither do you get to violate his rights because of what you 'think' might be the case.

Yes, you have the right to judge others with no real evidence whatsoever. It's your right in America to be a prejudicial dumb ass. Go ahead and embrace it.

You don't have a right to not be offended. Get the fuck over yourself.

If a University is private it wouldn't be receiving taxpayer money, but that is beside the point.

If the owners of the property/business have a rule against showing tattoos, it would be up to them to tell their employee to cover it up...or fire him.

You're opinion doesn't mean jack shit. If it bothers you that much, go to a different school.

Your sense of entitlement, of what business you perceive to be yours, is OVERWHELMING. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
I would judge him more by his conduct and attitude instead of judging him about that particular tattoo. What if some White students were put off by a Mexican American teacher having a Brown Pride tattoo and tried to get him fired based solely on that tattoo? Do you see how that could possibly be a "double edged sword"? If the teacher you mentioned or the hypothetical guy I mentioned turned out to be a racist pig who harassed students of another race then I would agree with ousting him. If he is an overall nice guy and good teacher, then I really wouldn't care about his tatt.

The teacher was a chicken hawk bully. As far as tattoos are concerned, I would not recommend any person of any race get a tattoo that is visible to the public if they want to be a professional. If they
got the tattoo at a young age, then get it removed.

Someone with a Spider Web tattoo on their elbow belongs at a biker bar, in prison, or at some racist hate group meeting, not at a University "educating" students.

The teacher was a chicken hawk bully. As far as tattoos are concerned, I would not recommend any person of any race get a tattoo that is visible to the public if they want to be a professional. If they

Someone with a Spider Web tattoo on their elbow belongs at a biker bar, in prison, or at some racist hate group meeting, not at a University "educating" students.

Don't like tattoos? Don't get one.

The teacher was a chicken hawk bully.

Then you should focus on that. Make your case on that alone. The rest is irrelevant.

As far as tattoos are concerned, I would not recommend...

Recommend all you like. Just don't expect anyone to care what you think.

any person of any race get a tattoo that is visible to the public if they want to be a professional. If they

What does race have to do with it?

In any case, when you own your own business, you can tell your employees 'no visible tattoos'. Until then, stop whining like a child or choose another school to attend.

Someone with a Spider Web tattoo on their elbow belongs at a biker bar, in prison, or at some racist hate group meeting, not at a University "educating" students

And who should get to determine this? You? Pass.

You sound like a nanny state central planner type that's just sure he knows what's best for everyone else. Again, pass.

apparently it was meant to signify racist bona fides initially but now, as others have mentioned, hipsters can get tats not even knowing what they signify & people are getting into the biz for $ only. Spider Web Tattoo - TattooSymbol.com

Once the domain of prisons and gangs, the spider web tattoo has crept slowly into the mainstream.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, the spider web tattoo that appears on the elbows of prison convicts is meant to symbolize racism – a racism that is so extreme that this tattoo has also been associated with killing a minority in order to earn the right to wear it. Law enforcement is likely in agreement as they have characterized the spider web tattoo on elbows and shoulders as a symbol of jail time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back