Progress at last!

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
Progress at last! Maybe, just maybe, the world may avoid Armageddon.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

By Maayan Lubell

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel has agreed to release Palestinian prisoners in order to resume peace talks, but will not yield to other demands the Palestinians say must be met before they return to the negotiating table.

Strategic Affairs Minister Yuval Steinitz said on Saturday that Israel was prepared to release some "heavyweight" prisoners but could not accept Palestinian demands over the borders of their future state before talks begin.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday that Israel and the Palestinians had laid the groundwork to resume talks after an almost three-year stalemate, but that the deal was not final and required more diplomacy.

"There will be some release of prisoners," Steinitz told Israel Radio. "I don't want to give numbers but there will be heavyweight prisoners who have been in jail for tens of years." The release would be carried out in phases, he added.

Palestinians have long demanded that Israel free prisoners held since before 1993, when the two sides signed the Oslo Accords - a interim deal intended to lead to an independent state the Palestinians seek in East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

"In all meetings held by President Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas) with minister Kerry and others, the Palestinian demand to release the prisoners topped the agenda," said Abbas's spokesman, Nabil Abu Rdaineh. "Freeing prisoners is a Palestinian priority that should precede any agreement.

OMG! Release of those prisoners will add even more terrorists out to kill more Israeli's & fuel this conflict to go on forever. Shame on Israel.

Progress at last! Maybe, just maybe, the world may avoid Armageddon.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

By Maayan Lubell

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel has agreed to release Palestinian prisoners in order to resume peace talks, but will not yield to other demands the Palestinians say must be met before they return to the negotiating table.

Strategic Affairs Minister Yuval Steinitz said on Saturday that Israel was prepared to release some "heavyweight" prisoners but could not accept Palestinian demands over the borders of their future state before talks begin.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday that Israel and the Palestinians had laid the groundwork to resume talks after an almost three-year stalemate, but that the deal was not final and required more diplomacy.

"There will be some release of prisoners," Steinitz told Israel Radio. "I don't want to give numbers but there will be heavyweight prisoners who have been in jail for tens of years." The release would be carried out in phases, he added.

Palestinians have long demanded that Israel free prisoners held since before 1993, when the two sides signed the Oslo Accords - a interim deal intended to lead to an independent state the Palestinians seek in East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

"In all meetings held by President Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas) with minister Kerry and others, the Palestinian demand to release the prisoners topped the agenda," said Abbas's spokesman, Nabil Abu Rdaineh. "Freeing prisoners is a Palestinian priority that should precede any agreement.

Netanyahu should be tried & convicted for war crimes against his own Israeli citizens.

Shame on the Israeli government. Not on Israel

Our people are furious at this decision.

Agreed
t2731.gif

I'm sorry to just say that a right-wing mind-set like yours can not see the final outcome in the war of attrition the Muslims are fighting. It has always worked before. Resistance works in the long run because the monetary and human cost to maintain an occupation becomes too expensive even if you're winning.

Try a real peace, help build Democracies in the ME, trade and become part of its fabric, this gesture will help.

If you call me a far right wing sympathizer, you obviously don't know what is "far right" here in Israel.

You categorize what I say and think without trying to think of this from an Israeli point of few.

What we know so far is that-

1. Israel has started up a so called "negotiation" with the Palestinians

2. Israel is banned in Europe.

3. Israel has agreed in some way to freeze settlements building

4. Israel has agreed to free more than 350 Palestinian prisoners with blood on their hands.

THAT is no negotiation, Mr. Pbel, any negotiation should start without any condition. And the only thing I can see in here is Israel GIVING things without being given anything in return.

Where is the promise of no terror activities from the lands in conflict?

Where is the promise of Not attacking southern lands?

Where is recognizing Israel's right of existence INSIDE the green line?

So far, I try and try, and really find it hard to see any GOOD thing here, for us.

What I do see, is what is going to happen next.

Hamas is not happy those "peace talk" start now. And we have seen what Hamas does when Hamas is not happy. It calls ending of the truce and start firing rockets.

That is what they did last time.

I am more than ready to bet my head on, that the alarms will sing in the next days, and seeing all the giving, without being promised to be given ANYTHING in return, so yeah, that is pretty sad.

And One doesn't have to belong to ANY political wing to see it.

I live here, all I have to do is wait for the next launch

Livni Mulling Release of Terror Murderers - Defense/Security - News - Israel National News

Justice Minister Tzipi Livni is considering the release of terrorist murderers and has received, for this purpose, the files of 120 Arab terror prisoners currently held in Israel.

There is international pressure on Israel to carry out “gestures” toward the Palestinian Authority (PA) as a prelude to “peace talks” with it.

The Almagor terror victims' organization has asked Livni to meet with its representatives before she decides on recommending the release of any terrorists. Almagor head Meir Indor voiced concern that a release is becoming more likely, following an interview in which President Shimon Peres said that he favors a “gesture” such as this.

Indor says his group has received the list of terrorists whose release is being mulled, and that it includes many murderers. They include the people responsible for an attack on a bus in which a mother and her three children, as well as a heroic soldier, burned alive.

Muhammad Abu Sita and Ahmed Abu Sita (arrested in 1994) murdered David Dedi with knives in Ramla on December 31, 1003.

Salem Abu Harbish and Ibrahim Jum'a (arrested 1988) murdered Rachel Weiss and her three small children, as well as a fifth person, David Delarosa. They threw a firebomb at a bus in which the Weiss family was traveling, near Jericho. Most of the passengers managed to get out, but Weiss and her children did not. Delarosa, a soldier, tried to pull her out of the bus but she refused to leave the bus without her children, who were caught behind a wall of flames. Delarosa died of the results of smoke inhalation, two months later.

Isa Mahmoud Isa (arrested 1993) participated in the abduction and murder of a soldier, and in running over another soldier, causing him serious injuries. He also took part in the murder of two policemen, Daniel Hazut and Moti Yisrael.

Mahmoud Isa and Majed Abu Katish of Anata, Mahmoud Atuan of Tzur Baher and Musa Akari were each sentenced to 3 life sentences for abducting and murdering Nisim Toledano, a Border Policeman, in 1992.

Jamil Abu Srur and Hassan Abu Srur (arrested 1993) were accomplices to the abduction and murder of Shin Bet nan Haim Toledano.

This is only a partial list.

Why the hell would anyone even consider releasing people like this.............................

So they could do it again..............................

No Deal. Let them rot for their crimes...............

If you call me a far right wing sympathizer, you obviously don't know what is "far right" here in Israel.

You categorize what I say and think without trying to think of this from an Israeli point of few.

4. Israel has agreed to free more than 350 Palestinian prisoners with blood on their hands.

THAT is no negotiation, Mr. Pbel, any negotiation should start without any condition. And the only thing I can see in here is Israel GIVING things without being given anything in return.

So far, I try and try, and really find it hard to see any GOOD thing here, for us.

Hamas is not happy those "peace talk" start now. And we have seen what Hamas does when Hamas is not happy. It calls ending of the truce and start firing rockets.

I am more than ready to bet my head on, that the alarms will sing in the next days, and seeing all the giving, without being promised to be given ANYTHING in return, so yeah, that is pretty sad.

I never called you Far right...Even Sharon knew that Occupations fail in the long-run, that's why he invented the Kadima Peace Party...Even if Israel Expels the Palestinians, she would only be moving the battle lines...Israel is a ME superpower today but occupations are very costly as America found out in Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan...

Learn from History!

Last edited:

I'm sorry to just say that a right-wing mind-set like yours can not see the final outcome in the war of attrition the Muslims are fighting. It has always worked before. Resistance works in the long run because the monetary and human cost to maintain an occupation becomes too expensive even if you're winning.

Try a real peace, help build Democracies in the ME, trade and become part of its fabric, this gesture will help.

Pbel, I know you genuinely want peace. But honestly, do you really believe that releasing Palestinians prisoners will help ?
I personally don' think so. I hope it will, but in my mind, I feel like it will accomplish nothing. Hopefully it proves me wrong

I never called you Far right...Even Sharon knew that Occupations fail in the long-run, that's why he invented the Kadima Peace Party...Even if Israel Expel's the Palestinians, she would only be moving the battle lines...Israel is a ME superpower today but occupations are very costly as America found out in Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan...

Learn from History!

We learn from the stories.

Ever heard of Shvuel Scheveshorder?

When will Israel stop fueling this endless conflict with peace offerings to Palestinians, a security fence & land concessions so the Palestinian squatters can remain in Israel? No Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, ever treated the Palestinians like Israel does. Face it folks, the one & only lasting peace ever achieved from Palestinians was Jordan's Black September. When will Israel ever learn it's all just a matter of communicating with Paletinians in the only language they understand & respect? LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

Pbel, I know you genuinely want peace. But honestly, do you really believe that releasing Palestinians prisoners will help ?
I personally don' think so. I hope it will, but in my mind, I feel like it will accomplish nothing. Hopefully it proves me wrong
It is a peace gesture because they are seen as Palestinian Heroes no differantly than PM Begin who was seen as a Terrorist by the British and Arabs, but a Hero to Zionists...

It will make Israel in no less danger and I'm sure Mossad will keep tabs on them. More impotanly, I bet and hope the Palestinians will recipocate in some way to start the process.

It is a peace gesture because they are seen as Palestinian Heroes no differantly than PM Begin who was seen as a Terrorist by the British and Arabs, but a Hero to Zionists...

It will make Israel in no less danger and I'm sure Mossad will keep tabs on them. More impotanly, I bet and hope the Palestinians will recipocate in some way to start the process.

Do YOU see them as heroes?

When ever Israel has released prisoners in the past it has never worked, so I don't know why they think it will work this time.
I can see why the people are furious.

MJB, et al,

Sometimes, compromise involves a little sacrifice and pain.

When will Israel stop fueling this endless conflict with peace offerings to Palestinians, a security fence & land concessions so the Palestinian squatters can remain in Israel? No Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, ever treated the Palestinians like Israel does. Face it folks, the one & only lasting peace ever achieved from Palestinians was Jordan's Black September. When will Israel ever learn it's all just a matter of communicating with Paletinians in the only language they understand & respect? LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!
(COMMENT)

It appears that Israel is going to make the first overture for the process to be rekindled.

If it backfires, that is the risk you take and the consequence.

I noticed that the Palestinian did not make any substantial offer of compromise.

Most Respectfully,
R

little sacrifice and pain. That is why for the sake of fairness, we need to receive an open list of WHO exactly they're going to release.

Some of the "heavy" ones committed crimes that are beyond forgiveness, and to which the only "release" should be the hereafter.

Forum List

Back