🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Project 2025 proposed adjustment to Overtime laws....

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
This one is getting a lot of traction on the web so I thought I would check it out. For those who do not trust me to copy and paste honestly it is from page 592 of the PJ2025. Here is a link to the document....PJ2025

1721217230841.png

I personally think this is a good thing and it is basically what those on a salary vice an hourly wage already do.

As long as both the employee and the employer agree to the plan why should the law not allow it?

One of the ironies here is that this is basically already in effect for Fed Govt Employees. Once they are at a set GS level (11 or above I believe) they get Comp time vice OT unless OT is specially approved by the Agency Head.

What do you all think?

This one is getting a lot of traction on the web so I thought I would check it out. For those who do not trust me to copy and paste honestly it is from page 592 of the PJ2025. Here is a link to the document....PJ2025

View attachment 978758

I personally think this is a good thing and it is basically what those on a salary vice an hourly wage already do.

As long as both the employee and the employer agree to the plan why should the law not allow it?

One of the ironies here is that this is basically already in effect for Fed Govt Employees. Once they are at a set GS level (11 or above I believe) they get Comp time vice OT unless OT is specially approved by the Agency Head.

What do you all think?

I think letting business have a new way to screw the wage slaves is awful.

If both parties agree to it, then nobody is getting screwed.

A lot of people make enough money and would take the time off gladly.
Um, yeah, except it isn't an agreement when there's a power imbalance.

1721219226754.png

"Um, yeah, we need you to work 20 hours overtime this week, and I totally promise to give you five hours off each week for the next four weeks.... that would be great."

That sounds pretty awesome IMO. I would be taking advantage of that.

I know a few people that would. Even at my wife's VA hospital where OT is always authorized due to being short of nurses, there are a couple that choose to take Comp Times vs OT pay.

When I was doing public sector, you could sell your comp time back to the County. There were sheriff’s deputies selling back the maximum--I think it was 480 hours-- at time and a half. So that ended pretty quickly.

If this was really going to benefit the workers, the Trump folks would make it to where you have the choice...take the payment or take the time off. I won’t hold my breath.

When I was doing public sector, you could sell your comp time back to the County. There were sheriff’s deputies selling back the maximum--I think it was 480 hours-- at time and a half. So that ended pretty quickly.

If this was really going to benefit the workers, the Trump folks would make it to where you have the choice...take the payment or take the time off. I won’t hold my breath.

If you read the bit I posted you will see that is indeed what they are asking for.

Ahh... So workers at Maricopa County will be able to sell their time back instead of taking time off? Really?

LOL... not gonna happen.

I suspect this would not impact public employees as they are already exempt from typical OT laws

If both parties agree to it, then nobody is getting screwed.

A lot of people make enough money and would take the time off gladly.
How do both parties agree to it?

A guy needing a job applies and their told that is the company's policy, and if they don't agree to it, they don't get the job?

Or if already working there, they are told to sign off on it, but if they disagree, then fine? Then never to get a promotion again within the company because they did not agree with it? Or to find a pink slip on their desk top?

It's a nice option for those who don't have kids and need a steady hour work week to plan their childcare....then, are these people discriminated against if they can't be flexible?

View attachment 978758

What do you all think?
Great, but along with that legislation I want every member of Congress to be required to go work a manual labor job. Warehouse work, fast food chain, retail. I want them "throwing freight" as we say, if at all possible. They must do that for two weeks and no one gets a pass, if they are over 80, well, uh, no, no pass.

They fail to show up, miss a shift, and they are not in the hospital they are removed from Congress. They don't get paid by who they work for, but they get their normal salary. First week, they work 60 hours, second week 20. Then they can hold the vote on this overtime measure.

Great, but along with that legislation I want every member of Congress to be required to go work a manual labor job. Warehouse work, fast food chain, retail. I want them "throwing freight" as we say, if at all possible. They must do that for two weeks and no one gets a pass, if they are over 80, well, uh, no, no pass.

The fail to show up, miss a shift, and they are not in the hospital they are removed from Congress. They don't get paid by who they work for, but they get their normal salary. First week, they work 60 hours, second week 20. Then they can hold the vote on this overtime measure.

That is just stupid.

GOVT should just stay out of it perhaps? As Salaried exempt employee I’ve sort of had that forever. Hourly workers, not so much. It depends on where you work, small or large company, boss etc.

Now with the “work at home scam” still going on. Everything is different and changing. Bottom line the work needs to get done to satisfy customer orders. They will ask, if you help out, they can reward you later on.

Now with the “work at home scam” still going on. Everything is different and changing.

Tis not a scam and has been going on for a couple decades, it just grew during COVID and it will not go away. To much money to be saved on rent and office upkeep.

Dupont gave us the option of using OT as straight time but it could not be rolled over into the next year if you were already maxed-out in your vacation time.

Lots of newer workers took advantage of that so that they could build-up/roll-over their vacation time and build up a year's worth in the bank which was all you could carry over.

I always had a year's worth of vacation time to roll over.....When I retired I was allowed to put it in my deferred savings account instead of a lump sum payout.

How do both parties agree to it?

A guy needing a job applies and their told that is the company's policy, and if they don't agree to it, they don't get the job?

Or if already working there, they are told to sign off on it, but if they disagree, then fine? Then never to get a promotion again within the company because they did not agree with it? Or to find a pink slip on their desk top?

It's a nice option for those who don't have kids and need a steady hour work week to plan their childcare....then, are these people discriminated against if they can't be flexible?

Well yeah, a job seeker will have to go along with company policy, they do not like it, they go elsewhere....just like it has always been.

Forum List

Back