Public Land Leaseholders & Conservationists Get New Guidance Aiding Stewardship of Our Lands From Our Federal Government

Procrustes Stretched

"intuition and imagination and intelligence"
Dec 1, 2008
Stewards of the Land: Ranchers on the Front Lines of Conservation

“When you view land as a community and you’re part of that community, that’s when you can start to really love and cherish the land. And I want to be part of the community. I want to be part of this web of life that’s going on out there. I don’t want to conquer the land. I want to be part of the land.” Bill Sproul, Kansas Rancher

Wow! Powerful. Stewards of the land, that's what we are, or should be, must be. In the USA, public land leaseholders are renters. Conservationists are fellow citizens seeking to get our fellow citizens, and our government (local, county, state, and federal), to look at land in our nation as a resource that could be, and should be restored if needed, nurtured, and protected as a national, natural resource. There are of course conflicting views on how to use and/or preserve and protect our lands. Yes, they are our lands.

conservation rancher.jpg

"grazing is necessary to maintain the health of the rangeland"

New Guidance aiding Stewardship of Our Lands from the Biden/Harris Administration

By Shawn Regan

Mr. Regan is vice president of research at the Property and Environment Research Center in Bozeman, Mont.

Each fall and winter, thousands of elk from Yellowstone National Park leave behind the deep snows of the park’s harsh and unforgiving high country and descend to surrounding ranch lands to feed on native grasses...this food is often on private land, there is no guarantee that elk will continue to have access to it, or even that the native grasses will remain.

In 2021, we struck a deal with a rancher to install wildlife-friendly fencing, eradicate invasive cheatgrass and promote the growth of native plants. The habitat lease restored 500 acres of prime elk habitat in Montana’s Paradise Valley and was celebrated by environmentalists and ranchers alike. These leases pay landowners to create, maintain or improve landscapes in ways that benefit wildlife.

Now, under new guidance issued by the Biden administration last month, the Bureau of Land Management, the nation’s largest manager of public lands, with some 245 million acres under its control, is set to begin leasing land to conservation and other groups to carry out similar habitat restoration work. This is a major turn for an agency that was required by law to give priority to extractive industries, leasing lands for grazing, logging, mining and energy development — but not for conservation.

conservation article nyt.jpg

For more than a century, narrowly defined “use it or lose it” rules have required public land leaseholders to graze, log, mine or otherwise develop the land, or risk having their leases canceled...conservation on public lands has been treated as something to be legislated, designated or regulated, rather than empowered as a legally valid lease.

Woody Guthrie- This Land Is Your Land

This Land Is Your Land
Song by Woody Guthrie
Songwriters: Woody Guthrie

This land is your land, and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
And I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley

I roamed and rambled, and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
All around me, a voice was sounding

There was a big, high wall there that tried to stop me
A sign was painted said "Private Property"
But on the backside, it didn't say nothing

When the sun come shining, then I was strolling
And the wheat fields waving, and the dust clouds rolling
The voice was chanting as the fog was lifting

This land is your land, and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters

“When you view land as a community and you’re part of that community, that’s when you can start to really love and cherish the land. And I want to be part of the community. I want to be part of this web of life that’s going on out there. I don’t want to conquer the land. I want to be part of the land.” Bill Sproul, Kansas Rancher

Wow! Powerful. Stewards of the land, that's what we are, or should be, must be. In the USA, public land leaseholders are renters. Conservationists are fellow citizens seeking to get our fellow citizens, and our government (local, county, state, and federal), to look at land in our nation as a resource that could be, and should be restored if needed, nurtured, and protected as a national, natural resource. There are of course conflicting views on how to use and/or preserve and protect our lands. Yes, they are our lands.

View attachment 1010401

New Guidance aiding Stewardship of Our Lands from the Biden/Harris Administration

By Shawn Regan

Mr. Regan is vice president of research at the Property and Environment Research Center in Bozeman, Mont.

Each fall and winter, thousands of elk from Yellowstone National Park leave behind the deep snows of the park’s harsh and unforgiving high country and descend to surrounding ranch lands to feed on native grasses...this food is often on private land, there is no guarantee that elk will continue to have access to it, or even that the native grasses will remain.

In 2021, we struck a deal with a rancher to install wildlife-friendly fencing, eradicate invasive cheatgrass and promote the growth of native plants. The habitat lease restored 500 acres of prime elk habitat in Montana’s Paradise Valley and was celebrated by environmentalists and ranchers alike. These leases pay landowners to create, maintain or improve landscapes in ways that benefit wildlife.

Now, under new guidance issued by the Biden administration last month, the Bureau of Land Management, the nation’s largest manager of public lands, with some 245 million acres under its control, is set to begin leasing land to conservation and other groups to carry out similar habitat restoration work. This is a major turn for an agency that was required by law to give priority to extractive industries, leasing lands for grazing, logging, mining and energy development — but not for conservation.

View attachment 1010392

For more than a century, narrowly defined “use it or lose it” rules have required public land leaseholders to graze, log, mine or otherwise develop the land, or risk having their leases canceled...conservation on public lands has been treated as something to be legislated, designated or regulated, rather than empowered as a legally valid lease.
Excellent news.

Excellent news.
I think so.

I fell more in love with the land during my nomadic adventures. Incredible land in our country. Also a friend's father was one of the most successful environmentalist lawyers of the 20th century (Land Trust Alliance). So I was aware of a few things, but until my adventures I never got the chance to see, to visit for stretches of time -- our lands.

View attachment 1010401

By Shawn Regan

View attachment 1010392

In a free land, which this republic declares it is, rights of citizens to deal with their land is a foundation not to be messed with by the Feds.
This bullshit of controlling citizens has to end. Why won't Democrats abide by the constitution they used to be elected?

In a free land, which this republic declares it is, rights of citizens to deal with their land is a foundation not to be messed with by the Feds.
This bullshit of controlling citizens has to end. Why won't Democrats abide by the constitution they used to be elected?
Really? You have the gall to mention the US Constitution? How dare you.

Eminent domain taking is in our founding document.

People like you are overly self-absorbed, with an incredible sense of privilege based on myths, and bullshit. You are a cancerous tumor that should be surgically but humanitarianly removed.

Knowing the utter stupidity of big government I expect washington to get one thing right and ten things wrong
It happened in Fremont, CA when the city engineer whom I had personally done work for as his agent in selling his sons home in Pleasanton, CA told me a factual event he had to deal with in Fremont. Thanks to laws over the land of others, he had to go deal with a contractor who hired crews to use bulldozers on their own land under development into homes on large lots. An operator was dozing land when it was reported the operator managed to shove dirt into a tiny section where rainwater would travel down the hill. He had to force the contractor to order the dozer operator to estore that tiny trickle as it was there naturally. And he was forced to cause that contractor to pay a huge fine. He did not want to do this to the Contractor at all but he had to do it as the city engineer.

++++
Really? You have the gall to mention the US Constitution? How dare you.

Eminent domain taking is in our founding document.

People like you are overly self-absorbed, with an incredible sense of privilege based on myths, and bullshit. You are a cancerous tumor that should be surgically but humanitarianly removed.

This is me. I am a former CA Real Estate Broker who also was a federal licensed appraiser and later on the owner operator of a Real Estate loan firm.
I have spent far more time than you ever will in classes where we were taught the constitution and how people are to be treated fairly.
How fucking dare you lecture me when I have much more to offer than you offer.

My daily aim is promoting freedom for Americans. And yours is controlling Americans for your own personal purposes.

++++

This is me. I am a former CA Real Estate Broker who also was a federal licensed appraiser and later on the owner operator of a Real Estate loan firm.
Wow! That and a$1.75 will get you on the LA Metro or less if you qualify for senior/disability pass.
I have spent far more time than you ever will in classes where we were taught the constitution and how people are to be treated fairly.
How fucking dare you lecture me when I have much more to offer than you offer.
You're qualified to register as a bumbling imbecile.
My daily aim is promoting freedom for Americans. And yours is controlling Americans for your own personal purposes.
Oh please. You're a delusional turd if you believe anything you personally post here @ usmb makes a speck of a difference to anybody outside of a small circle of friends -- if you have on -- circle of friends.

You're a clown

trump gay clown 1.jpg

And the Biden/Harris administration deserves lots of credit for what it has achieved and has tried to achieve in the face of aggressive and hostile forces.

Treating responsible ranchers, lessees and conservationists with the utmost of respect.
You were doing great until you politicized it.

It happened in Fremont, CA when the city engineer whom I had personally done work for as his agent in selling his sons home in Pleasanton, CA told me a factual event he had to deal with in Fremont. Thanks to laws over the land of others, he had to go deal with a contractor who hired crews to use bulldozers on their own land under development into homes on large lots. An operator was dozing land when it was reported the operator managed to shove dirt into a tiny section where rainwater would travel down the hill. He had to force the contractor to order the dozer operator to estore that tiny trickle as it was there naturally. And he was forced to cause that contractor to pay a huge fine. He did not want to do this to the Contractor at all but he had to do it as the city engineer.
City manager?

It's a form of local government. Not sure of what point your attempting to make.

If you believe an anecdotal tale is going to refute the points in my posts -- think again. Get a grip, get a life. Preferably one of your own.

next

Forum List

Back