"Purity culture mirrors sexual abuse"

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Purity culture mirrors sexual abuse The Chimes Biola University

"“Can you kneel before the King and say I’m clean?” Marcus of indie folk band Mumford & Sons mournfully croons in their song "White Blank Page."

Can you?

If you're an evangelical, chances are you cannot. And it is not your fault. Let us name it for what it is — systemic, psychoemotional sexual abuse.

Our pastors emphasized purity so pervasively that we internalized the metaphor: If I have sex, it affects my being, my essence.

Neither Mumford nor us kids feel like we can kneel before the King and say, “I’m clean,” even if we wait til our wedding night.

Modesty culture told us that our bodies and our clothes were responsible for other people’s sins. So the girls wore tank tops over their swimsuits and men were left with nagging fears about their shirtless bodies.

And it was thick and painful and fierce. A tragedy.

Tina Schermer, director of the Medical Family Therapy Program and instructor of marriage and family therapy at Seattle Pacific University did research after noticing “more and more amounts of sexual shame, of religious sexual shame … horrendous amounts.” She discovered something beyond shocking."

rest at link

Creepier by the day,you and that other hater.
Live and let live is a better choice.

You're right. There's a documentary that been playing on TV about these "purity" nutters and damn - it is REALLY creepy. The relationships between daughters and fathers is so inappropriate, so emotionally and mentally incestuous, it makes your skin crawl.

Thanks Delta for posting this. The more we know, the better able we are to guard our children against the sickos.

What is 'pervy' about the rational discussion of pervs like the fundie purity nutters?

Creepier by the day,you and that other hater.
Live and let live is a better choice.

You're right. There's a documentary that been playing on TV about these "purity" nutters and damn - it is REALLY creepy. The relationships between daughters and fathers is so inappropriate, so emotionally and mentally incestuous, it makes your skin crawl.

Thanks Delta for posting this. The more we know, the better able we are to guard our children against the sickos.

Couldn't agree more on the father-daughter purity ball thing.

Forum List

Back