Pushed by voters, GOP moderates rebel on immigration

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho

Demographics rule....and if a politician wants to get elected..he'd better know his District...here's the thing..if the centrists can push the hardliners successfully...it could well signal the end of their stranglehold on the Republican party:

Across the country — from California's lush Central Valley to suburban Denver to Curbelo's district of strip malls, farms and the laid-back Florida Keys — moderate Republicans like Curbelo are under hefty pressure to buck their party's hardline stance on immigration. After years of watching their conservative colleagues in safe districts refuse to budge, the GOP middle is fighting back — mindful that a softer position may be necessary to save their jobs and GOP control of the House.

"Members who have priorities and feel passionate about issues can't sit back and expect leaders" to address them, Curbelo said. "Because it doesn't work."

Curbelo, 38, is seeking a third term from a district that stretches from upscale Miami suburbs to the Everglades and down to eccentric Key West. Seventy percent of his constituents are Hispanic and nearly half are foreign-born. Those are among the highest percentages in the nation, giving many of them a firsthand stake in Congress' immigration fight.

Curbelo and Rep. Jeff Denham, R-Calif., whose Modesto-area district thrives on agriculture powered by migrant workers, have launched a petition drive that would force House votes on four immigration bills, ranging from liberal to conservative versions. Twenty-three Republicans have signed on, two shy of the number needed to succeed, assuming all Democrats jump aboard.

Another supporter of the rare rebellion by the usually compliant moderates is Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., a former Marine who learned Spanish when his district was redrawn to include Denver's diverse eastern suburbs. In an interview, Coffman expressed frustration over waiting nearly 18 months for House Speaker Paul Ryan to deliver on assurances that Congress would address the issue.

"He was always telling me, 'It will happen, it will happen.' I never saw it happen," Coffman said. "One cannot argue that those of us who signed onto this discharge petition didn't give leadership time."

The centrists favor legislation that would protect from deportation hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children. They back a path to citizenship for these immigrants, who have lived in limbo since President Donald Trump ended the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, called DACA. Federal courts have blocked its termination for now.

Trying to head off the petition, Ryan, R-Wis., and conservatives are negotiating with the centrists in hopes of finding compromise. Roll calls are on track for later this month, but it will be tough to steer legislation through the House that's both liberal enough to survive in the more moderate Senate and restrictive enough for Trump to sign into law.

Cut/paste much?
Actually, I abhor it..but I've found that, here, if I just post the link..none of you losers will bother to read it. You have my sincere pity if 7 short paragraphs are too much for you.

Don't like it...pass it by. Of course, you no doubt did NOT read the article..and are unable to actually contribute cogently to the conversation.

And so it goes....

Go ahead try and moderate it won't work because it won't pass! AMERICANS want stricter immigration laws NOT more lenient! If they wanted more lenient they would have elected Cankles.

These idiots better be careful what they wish for. IF this comes up for a vote and the better bill which the congressman from Virginia has up wins....LMAO its gonna be great!

Go ahead try and moDACAderate it won't work because it won't pass! AMERICANS want stricter immigration laws NOT more lenient! If they wanted more lenient they would have elected Cankles.

Americans support DACA overwhelmingly. They do not support a wall. Not even Trump friendly polls like Rasmussen and Fox can find support for Trump's position on immigration.

These idiots better be careful what they wish for. IF this comes up for a vote and the better bill which the congressman from Virginia has up wins....LMAO its gonna be great!

It would never pass the Senate. It is fascist garbage.

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Legal immigrants are NOT clamoring for "immigration reform" (legalizing border jumpers).

Any politician who advocates any immigration policy that can be characterized as "amnesty" will be destroyed on election day, unless they are in a Leftist stronghold. And no Republican would win in such a district anyhow.

Go ahead try and moderate it won't work because it won't pass! AMERICANS want stricter immigration laws NOT more lenient! If they wanted more lenient they would have elected Cankles.
I have traveled far and wide, many Nation have armed boarder guards and they are armed and not afraid to us them. They look at the fact crossing the boarder at the wrong place is called a invasion and they will kill you for your effort. Shoot a few and the crossing s will stop I promise.

Not the Central Valley......any more....even tho they were for trump in 2016.....they are finding out that those fruits, nuts, and vegetables....and cotton...aren't gonna pick themselves.

Then nothing passes! Works for me :)

Republicans will be exposed for what they are. White supremacist garbage. The fact is that the Democrat bill is the most likely to pass if the discharge petition is used.

LMAO Trump elected in a landslide promising to build and wall and boot illegals out of the country and then there's your fantasy :auiqs.jpg:

He was not elected in a landslide. Had Clinton gotten 1.5 percent in each state, she would have won. The voters who voted opposed the wall and supported amnesty by a overwhelming margin. You are the one in fantasy land.

Republicans will be exposed for what they are. White supremacist garbage. The fact is that the Democrat bill is the most likely to pass if the discharge petition is used.
Righttttt the GOP controls ALL of congress and the white house and you think that shit bill will pass. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. You anti white assholes were offered a compromise and balked at it.

Righttttt the GOP controls ALL of congress and the white house and you think that shit bill will pass. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. You anti white assholes were offered a compromise and balked at it.

You are a bigoted piece of dogshit. Whites overwhelmingly support amnesty and are against the wall. What gave Trump the win was voters voting against Clinton and not for Trump. The fact is that Democrats picked up seats in the House and Senate. The fact that moderates are considering defying the party shows that voters are not happy with extreme far right Republicans on this.,

Forum List

Back