Put Your Phone Down -- A-hole

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
You're endangering us all.

I noticed recently that at any given time on the road over here in my neck of the woods, at least 50% of drivers are distracted drivers because of their phones. At least 50%, possibly even 60-70%. It's reached epidemic levels and there are accidents every goddamn day here, most of them no doubt caused by distracted driving, which has been found to be equal to or worse than drunk driving.

What's it like in your area?

I noticed recently that at any given time on the road over here in my neck of the woods, at least 50% of drivers are distracted drivers because of their phones. At least 50%, possibly even 60-70%. It's reached epidemic levels and there are accidents every goddamn day here, most of them no doubt caused by distracted driving, which has been found to be equal to or worse than drunk driving.

I dont see it that much, but i see it a lot. Mostly younger people and people in nice cars.
My wife said she saw a kid wreck his bike messing with his phone the other day. She laughed her ass off.

Totally agree. It's bad, there is a local law here against texting and driving but I still see drivers with a phone in one hand driving with the other. They are usually the ones weaving or not keeping pace with traffic.

The most annoying thing for me is at a red light. The light turns green and the car in front of you is still sitting there until you lay on the horn. You know they're fucking around on their phone and not watching the light. I encounter this once almost every day.

LA train engineer texting. You can't tell, but that is a train car inside another train car.

article-1055489-02A5798F00000578-427_468x279.jpg

• Banned
Part of the problem is that smartphones are slowly taking over our brains and are just as addictive as any drug. And people aren't just texting while driving, they're using wayz, streaming youtube for music as they drive, sorting through stuff, browsing facebook and instagram, taking selfies even...what I'm seeing is the equivalent of a virus invading a body, and it's having a seriously detrimental effect on the roads. It's getting INSANELY dangerous to drive. At least where I live, which incidentally has some of the highest insurance rates in the country to begin with.

• Banned
And 99.9% of the time it is Millennials.

Not always. I'm paying attention to that as well. Age doesn't necessarily seem to matter, I've seen plenty of older folks VERY distracted as they're yapping away on their phone, driving 30 miles an hour in a 45mph zone. I lose my shit when I get stuck behind these people.

Fortunately this is a rural area with on-and-off cell coverage so we don't see it that much. But I sure see it when I travel. You can usually spot them literally a mile away, they're the ones in the left lane going 47.

Yeah. There's always somebody around here swerving all over the lanes and holding up red lights because of that stuff. Worst part is the morning rush where everybody's merging.

it's illegal to put your hands on your phone while driving in NYC. you actually do get pulled over and ticketed for it. Apparently, though, people are as distracted eating and drinking and talking on hands-free. So I'm not sure what the answer is.

The most annoying thing for me is at a red light. The light turns green and the car in front of you is still sitting there until you lay on the horn. You know they're fucking around on their phone and not watching the light. I encounter this once almost every day.
I see them everywhere.

The other day I was behind a woman at a traffic light. It turned green and she just sat there. I finally had to punch the horn to wake the dumb bitch up and get her fat ass going.

At the grocery store the other day an idiot nearly walked into me because he was so absorbed in his stupid phone call.

Two days ago I saw a bicyclist apparently sending a text as he meandered down the sidewalk. I've also seen them doing this on the road.

And how about the assholes who walk around a store shouting into their phones so loud that everyone in the store has to listen to them?

Yeah, I feel like punching these imbeciles in the face.

DC metro.

Miles of texters north and south on 95.

Guy in the fast lane doing 42.

Won't pass the truck.

Won't move over.

I should break check them all when I get in front of them.

Should be legal to force them into the embankment.

At every light here.

Then they run the yellow and you get to wait.

This is the automotive microcosm of a greater disease, that being the robotic zombie nation wandering around both in vehicles and everywhere else, droning "must..... be.... on.... phone..... at .... all.... times...." as if nothing can wait and everything has to be connected to something else RIGHT NOW. Well --- no, it doesn't.

Actually the only reason I ever got a cell in the first place was after I got home from going out for dinner, received an answering machine message about a work call, and returned the call only to be told the job had been filled, "because she had to know RIGHT NOW". Again, no she didn't. She could have simply waited for me to return the call.

But nooooooo. The unwashed get sold on this instant-gratification idea, never bother to think through whether it's the necessity it's sold as, and everybody has to suffer because "I need to know RIGHT NOW".

Patience is a lost virtue.

Forum List

Back