Putin Warns West On Arming Syrian Rebels: 'Are These The People You Want To Support?'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
By Alexei Anishchuk

LONDON, June 16 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin questioned on Sunday why the West would want to arm Syrian rebels who he said ate human organs, saying plans to give them weapons contradicted basic human values.

Speaking after meeting Prime Minister David Cameron in London ahead of a G8 summit on Monday, Putin said both the Syrian government and Syrian rebels were to blame for the bloodshed.

"You will not deny that one does not really need to support the people who not only kill their enemies, but open up their bodies, eat their intestines in front of the public and cameras. Are these the people you want to support?," Putin told a news conference.

"Is it them who you want to supply with weapons? Then this probably has little relation to humanitarian values that have been preached in Europe for hundreds of years."

Putin was referring to disturbing video footage on the Internet of one rebel fighter eating what appeared to be the heart of a government soldier.

More: Putin Warns West On Arming Syrian Rebels: 'Are These The People You Want To Support?' - Reuters - By Alexei Anishchuk

I would guess that Putin has personal axes to grind, but I happen to agree with him about the wisdom of the U.S. arming Syrian rebels. I think we should stay totally out of Syria - both directly and indirectly. HOWEVER, I trust the Obama Administration to make the best choice of imperfect alternatives. I doubt Obama would ever commit U.S. boots on the ground - except maybe CIA boots. That's my opinion - and I may be full of shit.

By Alexei Anishchuk

LONDON, June 16 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin questioned on Sunday why the West would want to arm Syrian rebels who he said ate human organs, saying plans to give them weapons contradicted basic human values.

Speaking after meeting Prime Minister David Cameron in London ahead of a G8 summit on Monday, Putin said both the Syrian government and Syrian rebels were to blame for the bloodshed.

"You will not deny that one does not really need to support the people who not only kill their enemies, but open up their bodies, eat their intestines in front of the public and cameras. Are these the people you want to support?," Putin told a news conference.

"Is it them who you want to supply with weapons? Then this probably has little relation to humanitarian values that have been preached in Europe for hundreds of years."

Putin was referring to disturbing video footage on the Internet of one rebel fighter eating what appeared to be the heart of a government soldier.

More: Putin Warns West On Arming Syrian Rebels: 'Are These The People You Want To Support?' - Reuters - By Alexei Anishchuk

I would guess that Putin has personal axes to grind, but I happen to agree with him about the wisdom of the U.S. arming Syrian rebels. I think we should stay totally out of Syria - both directly and indirectly. HOWEVER, I trust the Obama Administration to make the best choice of imperfect alternatives. I doubt Obama would ever commit U.S. boots on the ground - except maybe CIA boots. That's my opinion - and I may be full of shit.

That might be the biggest understatement of the year. Right there.

And you shouldn't get upset when Obama commits troops to the area. He's done just about everything Bush did in his presidency, from wars to spending. All of it.

I was not aware of a Syrian rebel eating a government soldier's heart - until Putin mentioned it and I Googled it. Lots of graphic pictures.

Obama, the not war but somehow spends more on military and more troops than Bush President. Obama found he can kill people by giving the side he deems politically good looking (arm rebels! Underdawgz!) weapons, Intel, money and backup... Yet somehow all the deaths caused by that action never get recorded as Deaths caused by the great Obama.

I was not aware of a Syrian rebel eating a government soldier's heart - until Putin mentioned it and I Googled it. Lots of graphic pictures.

You? Google?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Other than the side busting hilarity in you trying to sound smart, I agree we shouldn't be involved in Syria. But Putin hasn't the right to tell us that, since he's arming the government to kill it's own people.

By Alexei Anishchuk

The Syrian rebels are admittedly part of al Qaeda. We should not arm them, give them money or send our troops. I think Obama has already sent money and weapons, hasn't he? What the hell is he thinking and whose side is he on? We would be incredibly stupid to help al Qaeda in any way.

3pjxlv.jpg

Nothing in the Middle East seems clear-cut, but here's my take on the Syrian rebels and al Qaeda: I have no doubt that al Qaeda factions have infiltrated the rebels forces - but I doubt al Qaeda has a commanding presence. Maybe, just maybe, that is what Obama is trying to prevent.

Nothing in the Middle East seems clear-cut, but here's my take on the Syrian rebels and al Qaeda: I have no doubt that al Qaeda factions have infiltrated the rebels forces - but I doubt al Qaeda has a commanding presence. Maybe, just maybe, that is what Obama is trying to prevent.

Okay, so now you are trying to justify his arming the Rebels? Nice backtrack Lakhota. You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

When the weapons we give Syrian rebels take the life of one of our soldiers in Afghanistan can we blame Obama, or will that somehow be Bush's fault too?

When the weapons we give Syrian rebels take the life of one of our soldiers in Afghanistan can we blame Obama, or will that somehow be Bush's fault too?

There was "Fast and Furious"

This will be "Fast and Syrias"

Take THAT OldSchool!

:lmao:

To paraphrase Putin's question: Are these the people we want to support?

Personally, I don't - because I don't know who is who and/or what their agenda is.

Forum List

Back