Quakers to make reparation for slave trade and colonialism

No, the country owed it. Your family may not have even been in Germany during WWII but if you live in Germany, you pay it.
Yes….and that’s to LIVING survivors. There are no living slaves, so your question is moot.

The question isn’t sins of the fathers, or even the grandfathers. Slavery is many generations removed, and blacks have been getting chances to become doctors, lawyers, MBAs, even “regular” college-level professions simply due to skin color - for two generations - and that’s reparations enough.

I'll note you won't address my question.

I'm Quaker and this has surprised me as they have long been against slavery but if you actually read the article you will note where they have discovered some did own slaves.
Now how did they get away with that. Hide them in a barn?

Here’s another thought: what about reparations to deserving whites who didn’t get into medical school because room was needed to admit blacks with lower scores and grades? These whites had to give up their dreams of med school so that more blacks, with worse academics, could go.

How much in lost earnings would it be for an M.D. over a 50-year-career?

The question isn’t sins of the fathers, or even the grandfathers. Slavery is many generations removed, and blacks have been getting chances to become doctors, lawyers, MBAs, even “regular” college-level professions simply due to skin color - for two generations - and that’s reparations enough.
The voice of reason appears

We've paid what, 10 trillion in welfare?

If we gave every black 100k and called it even, nothing would change

They've been coddled like kids for too long

Yes….and that’s to LIVING survivors. There are no living slaves, so your question is moot.

We failed to do what Germany knew was the right thing to do. I will note that President Grant pushed for something similar but the country rejected it.

So lastly, I'm going to re ask my question. A person should not be held accountable for the sins of their fathers?
I answered that question.
No.
It is absurd to think one should.
You want to be like North Korea where a person is held in political prison because their father did something?
I assume of course you don't.
You can't undo the past. Only change the present to not repeat it.
And as for reparations... it is a totally absurd, ridiculous policy.
Again, almost half of all black people living in America today had no ancestors who were slaves.

Here’s another thought: what about reparations to deserving whites who didn’t get into medical school because room was needed to admit blacks with lower scores and grades? These whites had to give up their dreams of med school so that more blacks, with worse academics, could go.

How much in lost earnings would it be for an M.D. over a 50-year-career?

Nobody was ever denied the ability to go to medical school. One might find an argument where they couldn't attend a particular school but they were not denied the right to go to medical school.

We failed to do what Germany knew was the right thing to do. I will note that President Grant pushed for something similar but the country rejected it.
Did you know that Grant had an order expelling all Jews from his territory - with 24 hours notice - ordering them to leave their homes, until Lincoln blocked it? This was on the eve of the Emancipation Proclamation, and the irony is unbelievable: recognize the wrong in treating a minority group as inferior (the blacks) while simultaneously treating another minority group (the Jews) as the cause of all problems.

Thank G-d for Lincoln.

So...what? They are going to dig up some slave graves somewhere as if they could find them - and throw a few coins in the graves and cover them back up?
Exactly how would you go about paying reparation to people who died 200 years ago??
/-----/ " and throw a few coins in the graves and cover them back up?"
Nah, just write checks for $1,000,000 and put one in each grave. problem solved.

Nobody was ever denied the ability to go to medical school. One might find an argument where they couldn't attend a particular school but they were not denied the right to go to medical school.
Of course they were! You think every college grad who wanted to go to med school found one to take him? Attending medical school is not a right.

You have to be admitted, and there are plenty of whites who found that their 3.6 GPA would not get them in ANYWHERE, while blacks with 3.2 and 3.3 were finding schools.

Did you know that Grant had an order expelling all Jews from his territory - with 24 hours notice - ordering them to leave their homes, until Lincoln blocked it? This was on the eve of the Emancipation Proclamation, and the irony is unbelievable: recognize the wrong in treating a minority group as inferior (the blacks) while simultaneously treating another minority group (the Jews) as the cause of all problems.

Thank G-d for Lincoln.

Context please. (I know the story).

Of course they were! You think every college grad who wanted to go to med school found one to take him? Attending medical school is not a right.

You have to be admitted, and there are plenty of whites who found that their 3.6 GPA would not get them in ANYWHERE, while blacks with 3.2 and 3.3 were finding schools.

Link?

I’ve posted a zillion times on this. I’m not going back. It’s common knowledge that blacks get into med school with grades and scores that have whites kicked to the curb. If you are in denial of this, you’re impossible.

And you actually think everyone has a RIGHT to attend med school? Oye.

I’ve posted a zillion times on this. I’m not going back. It’s common knowledge that blacks get into med school with grades and scores that have whites kicked to the curb. If you are in denial of this, you’re impossible.

Right, you made it up.

Right, you made it up.
OMG. It’s common knowledge. What do you think affirmative action is all about? It’s letting admissions officers use race to determine who gets in and who doesn’t.

Even Harvard admitted that if they didn’t lower standards for blacks, their class would drop from 14% black to 3% black. Are you in such denial that you don’t realize this?

OMG. It’s common knowledge. What do you think affirmative action is all about? It’s letting admissions officers use race to determine who gets in and who doesn’t.

Even Harvard admitted that if they didn’t lower standards for blacks, their class would drop from 14% black to 3% black. Are you in such denial that you don’t realize this?

Change the direction of the discussion and what I said if you wish.

Forum List

Back