Question for lockdown advocates

freyasman

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
All of the posters here who support continuing this lockdown; how are you earning a living? How are your bills being paid?
What sort of income do you have?
Saving?
Pensions?
What?

I understand you may not wish to be too specific, but I am trying to get a general idea of how folks are coping with the financial conditions created by this lockdown, and whether or not that affects their feelings about said lockdown.

Not really a lockdown advocate, more of a people not dying of stupidity advocate. Still having to fulfill several contracts and the clients are not really interested in cutting me any slack. So I go forth everyday to do my job while praying I don't get it and bring it home. My age makes this risky but my real concern is for my girlfriend who has asthma. Not sure if I could take giving her a disease that has a good chance of making her very ill or worse. When I am out in a store or something motherfuckers better keep back from me.

All of the posters here who support continuing this lockdown; how are you earning a living? How are your bills being paid?
Saving?
Pensions?
What?

I understand you may not wish to be too specific, but I am trying to get a general idea of how folks are coping with the financial conditions created by this lockdown, and whether or not that affects their feelings about said lockdown.

Probably welfare, UE and state like they always use.

I work either from my home or on the road. Nothing has changed for me. I still support any method that can slow the spread.

Not really a lockdown advocate, more of a people not dying of stupidity advocate. Still having to fulfill several contracts and the clients are not really interested in cutting me any slack. So I go forth everyday to do my job while praying I don't get it and bring it home. My age makes this risky but my real concern is for my girlfriend who has asthma. Not sure if I could take giving her a disease that has a good chance of making her very ill or worse. When I am out in a store or something motherfuckers better keep back from me.
So you’re not really in lock down so your take is irrelevant.

• Banned
I appreciate the response so far but I am hoping to keep this about money. How are people getting by?

Saving?
Pensions?
What?

I guarantee you they are not part of the 33 million who are currently unemployed

Matt's been furloughed, his company was paying him 65% of his salary for the first couple of weeks, but then the company furloughed all employees so we are living off of unemployment...with the extra $600 added a week by congress help package

That's it on income....

We are ok, cuz we don't have a lot of bills and nothing's really opened to spend money on... but groceries.

Last edited:
I work either from my home or on the road. Nothing has changed for me. I still support any method that can slow the spread.
I support any method that protects those who are vulnerable. Lock down compounds the problem. It may even enhance an ultimate spread.

well do you believe that the virus spread has slow downed during the lockdown or that the virus spread is in a upward trend ?

I support any method that protects those who are vulnerable. Lock down compounds the problem. It may even enhance an ultimate spread.

well do you believe that the virus spread has slow downed during the lockdown or that the virus spread is in a upward trend ?
Depends on where you look. In the East it seems to be so intense that a reduction in increase creates a false optimism. Meanwhile, you get into flyover country and there’s barely an issue.
If anything, lockdowns appear to prolong the problem.

Depends on where you look. In the East it seems to be so intense that a reduction in increase creates a false optimism. Meanwhile, you get into flyover country and there’s barely an issue.

That why each states has to go their own path and hope it works. Talking about just the number of cases

Right now its relatively high compare. If it goes down then some can claim that it was their decision that work . Still it is just that virus eventually runs its course. It goes up and down until it falls. My bet is governors are hoping that they catch the roller coaster as it goes down.

Saving?
Pensions?
What?

Strawman fallacy.

That why each states has to go their own path and hope it works. Talking about just the number of cases

Right now its relatively high compare. If it goes down then some can claim that it was their decision that work . Still it is just that virus eventually runs its course. It goes up and down until it falls. My bet is governors are hoping that they catch the roller coaster as it goes down.
It needs to be more specific regionally than just states. Policy in Illinois is being driven by Chicago while the vast majority of the state is way more rural and way less at-risk than Chicago.
This virus issue is a perfect illustration of why we need the electoral college system.

It needs to be more specific regionally than just states. Policy in Illinois is being driven by Chicago while the vast majority of the state is way more rural and way less at-risk than Chicago.
This virus issue is a perfect illustration of why we need the electoral college system.

well the only issues I have with the electoral college is the state by state winner takes all nonsense. IF a candidate receive enough votes for say 10 delegates, then they should be his or hers and not given to the other person.

Saving?
Pensions?
What?

Savings.

It was "the greatest economy ever". How can you not have saved any money?

I make it a point to never have less than 6 months of expenses in liquid funds. That is without touching any investments or cashing anything out. It's just part of being prepared.

well the only issues I have with the electoral college is the state by state winner takes all nonsense. IF a candidate receive enough votes for say 10 delegates, then they should be his or hers and not given to the other person.
But then you end up with essentially a popular vote result anyway. Defeats the purpose.

Saving?
Pensions?
What?

Strawman fallacy.
How so?

Forum List

Back