Question for those retired already

Everyone is, but the post I responded to indicated that it was foolish to have faith they would keep doing so

My bother is that way, he like me moved a lot but now he has some land in GA and is happy to never leave it again. I think it sounds awful, but he loves it.
reading these comments I feel like channeling Rodney King:

"I just want to say – you know – can we, can we all get along? Can we, can we get along? Can we stop making it horrible for the older people and the kids here at usmb?"

Thanks for the info.

When I look at my presumed retirement income I am not taking into account our 401ks/IRAs. My goal in our planning is to have enough income so that our 401k/IRAs are just bonus money for travelling and gifting and such.

Right now mine is traditional and my wife's is a ROTH. We make too much now and have next to no deductions/credits so it did not make sense to do both of them as ROTH.

When all was said and done we paid north of 20% in taxes last year, we will be in a lower bracket when we are retired. If our plan to move to Panama pans out we will pay nothing in US taxes on the first 110k each year, so the ROTH money will be saved on the chance we move back to the state eventually.
bump

was this it?

I did the genealogy thing out of curiosity, and then because it intersected with a hobby in colonial American history I went all in. I finally did a few dna things, but not like others have done. I was not and am not looking for dna relations to...

Our daughter did the DNA thing as she was spending a lot of time overseas for work and heard a lot of people talking about "their people" and she was like "I do not know who my people are".

hubby has wander lust I do not...my hubby and I and friends built this house...I know all the nooks and crannies..the bumps in the night etc...plus I worked for a moving company I know how much work it would take to pack up this place and move ..the third time we moved in the first 12 months of our marriage I told him I was over it and would never move again nor did I help with the 3 rd move.

I think once you retire you spend a lot doing stuff on the daily ...but you don't buy much stuff...hell you have enough stuff..

Our daughter did the DNA thing as she was spending a lot of time overseas for work and heard a lot of people talking about "their people" and she was like "I do not know who my people are".
genealogy search: I love finding the skeletons in closets LOL

My family has been in British North America since the 1600s. No ancestor since the first of my last name, I know of (direct not distant cousins through marriages) came through Ellis Island.

It's interesting. Had Italian-American friends comment American history is my family history. Funny, but that and $1.75 gets me on Subway train.

hubby has wander lust I do not...my hubby and I and friends built this house...I know all the nooks and crannies..the bumps in the night etc...plus I worked for a moving company I know how much work it would take to pack up this place and move ..the third time we moved in the first 12 months of our marriage I told him I was over it and would never move again nor did I help with the 3 rd move.

I think once you retire you spend a lot doing stuff on the daily ...but you don't buy much stuff...hell you have enough stuff..
As we age, most all of us experience our world getting smaller in more ways than one.

We plan to get rid of most of our possessions as anywhere we rent in Panama will be furnished. The things with meanings we do not rent we will put in climate controlled storage and pay a year at a time to get a lower rate

We plan to get rid of most of our possessions as anywhere we rent in Panama will be furnished. The things with meanings we do not rent we will put in climate controlled storage and pay a year at a time to get a lower rate
storage units are a total waste of money...if you cant take it get shed of it..most people end up just never using stuff in storage...

storage units are a total waste of money...if you cant take it get shed of it..most people end up just never using stuff in storage...

we only need a small one and we have personal items we do not want to spend the money shipping to Panama and then having pay to move if we also move a few times while we are there.

How does your retirement income compare to your pre-retirement income?

You see lots of different figures thrown around as to what percent it should be.

My calculations puts ours below our gross but about the same as our take home is now.

My retirement income is lower than my pre-retirement income. But I have an income for doing nothing. So there is that.

We have fewer expenses now. The biggest of which is travel.

Forum List

Back