Questions about coffins and rotten flesh

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to be morbid but do you ever think about your rotten flesh in a coffin after death ???

I assume it just decays and is super gross and revolting 🤢

How many years does it turn to skeleton bone

It’s just so eerie to think about and a few decades seems so close

Anyone know the steps in the process

Does the coffin also disappear to ????

Sorry to be morbid but do you ever think about your rotten flesh in a coffin after death ???

Interesting.

For Catholics, some of our Saints' bodies are incorruptible, and do not decompose. They just exhumed the body of a nun who had been dead for about four years and there was almost no decomposition! Who was Sister Wilhelmina Lancaster?

But, otherwise, sorry. I can't enlighten you. My husband was cremated, as was my mother and my brother, the most important people in my life, so I don't think about it.

in new orleans we reuse our family file cabinets. the same crypt that holds my uncle, my grandfather, and my mother will some day (soon i hope) hold me,

depends on climate. in egypt and such bodies seem to last a long time. here it seems the archdiocese requires a year between "interrals"

some of our Saints' bodies are incorruptible, and do not decompose. They just exhumed the body of a nun who had been dead for about four years and there was almost no decomposition!

There is a world of difference between incorruptible and ALMOST incorruptible.

I fear lack of oxygen in the casket is a much more significant factor than saintliness.

There is a world of difference between incorruptible and ALMOST incorruptible.

I fear lack of oxygen in the casket is a much more significant factor than saintliness.
preservatives in food also add to decomposition time.

I just read a natural vault will preserve you for centuries while no vault will turn you into black sludge in a short time

The coffin should still be there in the ground, although I do know of one couple who made a horrifying discovery. Go here for the Inside Edition coverage.

God bless you and the girl's family always!!!

Holly

I never thought about it. I'll be dead, so I don't see why it might make any difference.

That's why many of us have chosen cremation.

Ashes go into the Harbour.

End of story.

Not sure why so many people are so concerned about their grave, coffin, and how their body decomposes. The reality is you die and are buried. Your kids or friends might visit your grave a few times before it becomes too much trouble. After that, you are forgotten, and nobody even reads your headstone unless they are doing some ancestry research. You will be dead and gone. Silly to worry about anything beyond that point.

I just read a natural vault will preserve you for centuries while no vault will turn you into black sludge in a short time

I suppose what you mean by natural vault. Anyway, the cemetery my family uses requires a vault so they don't have to bury you as deep (which they will gladly sell you at quite the markup) but whether or not to have the waterproof seal on it is optional (which they will also sell you at quite the markup). My brother who used to work there says the waterproofing isn't really so you should always have them drill the vault so moisture can drain out. The standard vaulted grave is about 2 feet to the top of the vault in this area. I bought ours about 10 years ago and as best as I can recall the vaults were around $3K each. No idea what they cost today. I just bought a bunch near my parents because the graves were "free" to the surviving family as long as you bought the vaults or headstones within a year and it was too macabre to think about going out and seeing our names on grave markers just waiting for the final date to be added. At least I don't have to see the vaults.

Vandals opened a crypt and threw the corpse on the ground way back when I was a Cop. The only smell was a powerful odor of mold.

Wow how long were you a cop for ??

Would you be one again in todays insane world

Forum List

Back