Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
I just came across this quote by Isaac Asimov

When asked in an interview in 1982 if he was an atheist, [sic]Asmimov replied,"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time." Science and the Bible

Bill Maher has often said the same thing - not that he does not believe in a god but rather that he simply does not know.

Similar to the question of what happens to us when we die - no one knows.

Those who DO believe in a god or some sort of super being, Spaghetti Monster, Magic Sky Fairy - believers also don't know but make a choice to believe.

It's hard to get people to worship Government if they're worshiping God at the same time.

Speaking of atheists, or agnostics I suppose, today is the anniversary of the OKC bombings.

there is no proof god exsists.

I just cant bring myself to believe in things without proof.

Believe whatever you want to believe but dont create a leash and put the loop arround your neck and hand the lead end to some smuck who claims to be more in touch with god than you.

stop organizing

It's hard to get people to worship Government if they're worshiping God at the same time.

Wow. I can't think of very many declarative sentences that are more incorrect than this one. If there is one thing that describes the radical right's worship of government, their desire that government pass more and more laws to control behavior and morals, its their rabid fundie belief in a god.

I guess he thinks you cant love your mother and father at the same time.

sick puppy

Believe whatever you want to believe but dont create a leash and put the loop arround your neck and hand the lead end to some smuck who claims to be more in touch with god than you.

stop organizing

Agree with your first sentence but I don't care what others believe as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat. And, that IS a very basic belief of many "Christians" - that they have responsibility or duty to "spread the word", proselytize, bible thump.

My belief is, believe what you want but as long as no one is hurt, leave people alone, live and let live.

561773_567845583237311_734942338_n.jpg

Wow. I can't think of very many declarative sentences that are more incorrect than this one. If there is one thing that describes the radical right's worship of government, their desire that government pass more and more laws to control behavior and morals, its their rabid fundie belief in a god.
Rabid Fundie belief in a God? You mean like Gaia?

Such as?

Speaking of atheists, or agnostics I suppose, today is the anniversary of the OKC bombings.

Are you saying that being a God-believing Christian influenced McVeigh?

Well he wasn't a God-believing Christian. But he was a nut. I'm just painting with a broad brush like so many others on here like to do.

In that case, what you said seems to be saying that 'if only he was a christian, he would not have also been a mass killer'. Dumb and insulting. You must have known him a lot better than I did because all I can go by is WHAT HE SAID.

An Accurate Look at Timothy McVeigh's Beliefs on EthicsDaily.com

I'm not going to do a search but, I remember that he ALSO said he did not believe in a god.

The nutters on this board are always claiming that someone in the news is a Dem/lib/progressive. Its stupid and the only reason for it is to start yet another partisan fight. Its just as stupid to say that McVeigh was or was not a "christian".

WTF difference does it make?

Isn't the salient fact that, as you said, he was a nut. IMO, that supersedes any other belief.

Unless of course, what you want is to argue over something that neither of us can know.

Such as?

Ever hear of a bona-fide, gutter snipe, crazy by the name of Santorum?

There is no end of fundie Peeping Tom Republicans who have no use for that pesky little thing called The Constitution and who want to outlaw things that are really none of their business. And, they have followers who firmly believe in an American version of sharia law - law based on religious beliefs.

You know that just as well as I do. Try as you might, you really cannot deny it.

(I have a son, dil and two g'kids in Cambridge. I'd really rather be watching the TV coverage than having this idiotic conversation. I'll try to remember to check this later.)

Rabid Fundie belief in a God? You mean like Gaia?

Explain/elaborate please.

Such as?

There is no end of fundie Peeping Tom Republicans who have no use for that pesky little thing called The Constitution and who want to outlaw things that are really none of their business. And, they have followers who firmly believe in an American version of sharia law - law based on religious beliefs.

You know that just as well as I do. Try as you might, you really cannot deny it.

(I have a son, dil and two g'kids in Cambridge. I'd really rather be watching the TV coverage than having this idiotic conversation. I'll try to remember to check this later.)

Such as? The one thing I can think of is gay marriage. I can see both sides of it. Like it not being an ideal situation to raise a family but there aren't a lot of those as it is. Thanks to a lack of emphasis on responsibility. I myself am against outlawing it. I think consenting adults can make there own decisions as far as relationships goes. That would have to apply to polygamy, incest and prostitution as well.

Such as? The one thing I can think of is gay marriage. I can see both sides of it. Like it not being an ideal situation to raise a family but there aren't a lot of those as it is. Thanks to a lack of emphasis on responsibility. I myself am against outlawing it. I think consenting adults can make there own decisions as far as relationships goes. That would have to apply to polygamy, incest and prostitution as well.

IOW you were just trying to start a fight.

Agree about everything except incest.

If its not between consenting adults, I'm agin it.

I disagree with the rw's wanting to pass more and more laws to control those they don't like or behavior they don't like - eg - abortion.

Get government out of the private lives of consenting adults. Period.

stop organizing
Luckily you don't need to prove there is oxygen then.

stop organizing
Luckily you don't need to prove there is oxygen then.

You've got proof of the existence of a god?

Which one?

Forum List

Back