Raises: Who's To Blame?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The unions regularly take a pummeling on the board, blamed for 'breaking the bank' of municipal budgets.

Today, in NYC, Mayor 'MayDay' de Blasio opened the fisc to the teacher's union:

1. "NYC contract with teachers’ union includes billions in back pay

2. ...billions of dollars in retroactive pay,...

3. United Federation of Teachers members are in line for the hefty sum going back to October 2009....

4. ... 4 percent retroactive hikes for each of the first two years — part of 2009 and 2010 — which alone will cost the city more than $3 billion.

5. From 2011 to 2018, teachers will receive a total pay raise of up to 10 percent. That means that by 2018, teacher pay will be as much as 18 percent higher than it was in 2009,...."
NYC contract with teachers? union includes billions in back pay | New York Post

Big contract give-aways certainly aren't news.....

...and hackles will be raised.

But this is an opportunity for me to advance a view that is not very popular, especially with my Right wing pals.....

...but I don't blame the teacher's uinon, or the teachers.

Heck, it's the job of the union to get wage increases! It's their raison d'être!

And how can you blame the members for wanting more??? I mean, who wan't less?

Ready?

It is the corrupt efforts of elected official who are essentially accepting the efforts of a union in their election bids that they reward with taxpayer funds!

That's right: it is a bribe!

Wanna blame some one, blame the only ones who can OK the theft.

BTW....know who got Comrade de Blasio elected?

Yup.

United Federation of Teachers.

Next time I hear from brain-dead Liberals that corporations aren't people....I'll remind them that unions aren't either.

1. Median Income. NYC Neighborhoods. The median household income across New York City stands at $50,711, according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. That's down from $54,057 in inflation-adjusted dollars for the 2007-2009 period.
Median Income | NYC Neighborhoods | WNYC
project.wnyc.org/median-income-nabes/

2. I can't guess how one determines if a salary is appropriate or not, but considering the above, and by my estimates, the salary of a top NYC teacher at the end of the contact will be about $130,000 or so, not counting summer school, etc....

If that is not a bone of contention....why is it impossible to find that estimate in news stories of this contract?

I hope it is evident that this situation is the result of having a "Liberals-unions-media-politicians complex."

Giving a raise or a bonus to private sector workers is nobody's business but the employer but when the hell did they start giving bonuses to government workers with our tax dollars? You almost gotta laugh but tax cheats in the IRS were awarded bonuses.

Giving a raise or a bonus to private sector workers is nobody's business but the employer but when the hell did they start giving bonuses to government workers with our tax dollars? You almost gotta laugh but tax cheats in the IRS were awarded bonuses.

How's 42%?

"Kerry recognized the work of the foreign nationals employed by the embassy, and he singled out two nationals who recently received awards for their work in the foreign service. Kerry then used the opportunity to give all the nationals who work for the embassy some welcome news: an enormous pay increase of 42 percent (though during his remarks the secretary misspoke and said 45 percent)..."
Kerry Announces Enormous Pay Raises for Foreign National Embassy Staff | The Weekly Standard

" Any time the union and pols are hug-happy, everybody else should be worried. And I am.

Start with the enormous price tag, which officials say is $5.5 billion over nine years. Retroactive raises of 4 percent for both 2009 and 2010, which Bloomberg said the city couldn’t afford, will cost $3.4 billion alone and are nearly half the total pay hikes of 18 percent.

In addition, each teacher will get $1,000 if the contract is ratified. In other words, they get a signing bonus for a contract they negotiated. Sweet."
De Blasio gives away the store in teachers contract | New York Post

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
It's difficult to judge based on such limited information. The days when one could point out that teaching is a 3/4 time job are long gone, so they have to be paid in line with their credentials and experience. Median income in the City is no more relavant to teachers than it is to line-engineers. They should be well above the median.

$130k in Des Moines would probably allow a pretty oppulent lifestyle, but in the Big Apple - probably not so much. Where I live the top teachers are over $100k now, and it's possible to buy a nice house in this school district for less than $200k.

I'm sure it's a sweet deal and I'm sure the Mayor is a compromised ass-hole, but New Yorkers did elect him. Let them suffer.

If a contract with these conditions was offered and accepted then pay up. Simple case. If not, don't pay up. I don't blame the teachers or the union whatsoever in this case. If you want someone to teach your kids, then pay for them.

If a contract with these conditions was offered and accepted then pay up. Simple case. If not, don't pay up. I don't blame the teachers or the union whatsoever in this case. If you want someone to teach your kids, then pay for them.

"simple" is the correct description of your post.

Forum List

Back