Rattlesnake alert! They lay still and don't rattle.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Walking with my wife yesterday evening and a two foot rattler was laying straight as a stick in the street. I was one step from stepping on him, and he didn't rattle and didn't move. I picked up a little rock and tossed it at him. Still didn't move. Then I tapped him with a stick and that got him rattling. If you are in rattlesnake country, keep your eyes open. This seems to be a new survival mechanism at least here in Arizona. I've seen this behavior for the last few years.

A
cottonmouth.jpg
snake almost got the lawnmower today ..

Walking with my wife yesterday evening and a two foot rattler was laying straight as a stick in the street. I was one step from stepping on him, and he didn't rattle and didn't move. I picked up a little rock and tossed it at him. Still didn't move. Then I tapped him with a stick and that got him rattling. If you are in rattlesnake country, keep your eyes open. This seems to be a new survival mechanism at least here in Arizona. I've seen this behavior for the last few years.
This is what happens in cool spring weather. They are sluggish and slow to react but they are still deadly. They are searching for food as their fat stores are depleted which forces them from the den.

This is what happens in cool spring weather. They are sluggish and slow to react but they are still deadly. They are searching for food as their fat stores are depleted which forces them from the den.
That makes sense in the morning after a cold desert night but not after it was 85 degrees and sunny all day. I've seen other rattlers behave like this in the evening the last couple years. They used to rattle if you got close, now they lay still unless you touch them.

Forum List

Back