Recommended Privacy Shrub/Tree for shady area

Azaleas apparently won't grow to their full height very well in Zone 5, and because of that someone recommended I don't use it for privacy. Forsythia was also not recommended because of the lack of sun, which would also slow or prevent full growth.

Privet is a good suggestion ^^^ but what was recommended to me today was the Viburnum. I especially liked the look of the Leatherleaf Viburnum, and it is certainly the front runner right now. Chicago Lustre viburnum is also a good choice, both of these were already 5 feet tall in a 5 gallon pot, and the price was very reasonable. I don't like the idea of another berry producer, I already have a crabapple tree.

Also, anyone know anything about Pampas Grass? Would this do well as a privacy screen, or do these things need full sun?

Azaleas apparently won't grow to their full height very well in Zone 5, and because of that someone recommended I don't use it for privacy. Forsythia was also not recommended because of the lack of sun, which would also slow or prevent full growth.

Privet is a good suggestion ^^^ but what was recommended to me today was the Viburnum. I especially liked the look of the Leatherleaf Viburnum, and it is certainly the front runner right now. Chicago Lustre viburnum is also a good choice, both of these were already 5 feet tall in a 5 gallon pot, and the price was very reasonable. I don't like the idea of another berry producer, I already have a crabapple tree.

Also, anyone know anything about Pampas Grass? Would this do well as a privacy screen, or do these things need full sun?

Azalea height depends on the variety; Privet is very invasive and can trigger some allergies when being pruned. I have and do use grass as a screen on part of my property by don't use Pampas Grass, It's center dies out. I use a variegated miscanthus. I do have to cut it all the way back to get the honeysuckle out of it about every 5 years, but otherwise you can cut it back annually or not.

Azalea height depends on the variety; Privet is very invasive and can trigger some allergies when being pruned. I have and do use grass as a screen on part of my property by don't use Pampas Grass, It's center dies out. I use a variegated miscanthus. I do have to cut it all the way back to get the honeysuckle out of it about every 5 years, but otherwise you can cut it back annually or not.

Cool, thanks. I think I'm gonna go with the Viburnum, but its always good to get an education from people on all of this stuff.

Cool, thanks. I think I'm gonna go with the Viburnum, but its always good to get an education from people on all of this stuff.

Well god luck with that. Viburnum can be a bit fussy with cold and wet. I would probably have gone with something like euonymus first. Anyway, they are still a work in progress but the last two hedges I installed on my property were mop cypress and burning bush. The former because I was able to get 40 larger plants that were normally $29 each for $5 each on end of season clearance at Home Depot, and the latter because I really like burning bushes though it will probably still be 5-6 more years before it can properly be called a hedge they are so slow-growing and I started with 1 gallon pots.

Well god luck with that. Viburnum can be a bit fussy with cold and wet. I would probably have gone with something like euonymus first.

That's great info., which type would you choose? This is something that is interesting, because the location where I will be planting is full of vines, so it seems like this might be perfect growing conditions. Would you choose the Golden, the Evergreen, or the Green Boxwood? Those all look like tall growers that will provide excellent coverage. No one had mentioned these choices until you did.

Well god luck with that. Viburnum can be a bit fussy with cold and wet. I would probably have gone with something like euonymus first.

That's great info., which type would you choose? This is something that is interesting, because the location where I will be planting is full of vines, so it seems like this might be perfect growing conditions. Would you choose the Golden, the Evergreen, or the Green Boxwood? Those all look like tall growers that will provide excellent coverage. No one had mentioned these choices until you did.

Well I am in Zone 7 so I prefer the gold varieties, but since I think they may not be survive Zone 5 unless you are marginally so. You are probably looking at one of the japonica varieties like Japanese Grandifolios.

Some spruce, cypress and other evergreens will do well in zone 5 shade areas.
1598323983751.png

1598324206188.png

Forum List

Back