🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Religion and Ethics?

That is your belief. It has very good ethics but I would say a lot more than a philosophy of living. It most certainly is first and foremost about practice. Is it a religion or not is an interesting one with Buddhism as it has tended to be seen as a religion. There is a book 'Buddhism without beliefs' by Steven Batchelor. where he goes into this and how it is not helpful. But i'd say defo more than just philosophy. Demands a change in consciousness and contact with heart.

We are imposing our Western penchant for labels and dualistic thinking on Buddhism.

The Buddha is not the one who grants enlightenment. The Buddha doesn't address the ideas of creation and salvation. His teaching are for this world not the supernatural.

There is no concept of sin in Buddhism and living poorly is considered a lack of skill or knowledge not some moral failing that will be punished.

We are imposing our Western penchant for labels and dualistic thinking on Buddhism.

The Buddha is not the one who grants enlightenment. The Buddha doesn't address the ideas of creation and salvation. His teaching are for this world not the supernatural.

There is no concept of sin in Buddhism and living poorly is considered a lack of skill or knowledge not some moral failing that will be punished.
It is not clear to me why anyone would
interpret the writings of Stephen Batchelor
as a criticism of Buddhism. What did I
MISS. For the record---I consider
Buddhism to be a religion

Buddhism is a religion. Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism. He asked his followers, "did I ever teach you that God existed?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I ever teach you that God didn't exist?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world is eternal?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world isn't eternal?" They said, "no." He then asked them, "what have I taught you?" They said, you have taught us suffering and the end of suffering."

Which requires one to die to self same as Hinduism, same as Christianity.

Buddhism is a religion. Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that Hinduism had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism. He asked his followers, "did I ever teach you that God existed?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I ever teach you that God didn't exist?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world is eternal?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world isn't eternal?" They said, "no." He then asked them, "what have I taught you?" They said, you have taught us suffering and the end of suffering."

Which requires one to die to self same as Hinduism, same as Christianity.
somehow I fail to see that ^^^^ juxtaposition. In fact christianity DISPUTES
the buddhist position of "works" over
"faith" ----long ago I learned that one of the
most vicious religious disputes in the world is--guess what ........go ahead and guess.....give up??? Islam vs Buddhism/hinduism----both in Sri Lanka (the erstwhile Ceylon) and
west bengal (that's mostly calcutta ---kolkata
sorta) The TAMIL TIGERS are hindus

somehow I fail to see that ^^^^ juxtaposition. In fact christianity DISPUTES
the buddhist position of "works" over
"faith" ----long ago I learned that one of the
most vicious religious disputes in the world is--guess what ........go ahead and guess.....give up??? Islam vs Buddhism/hinduism----both in Sri Lanka (the erstwhile Ceylon) and
west bengal (that's mostly calcutta ---kolkata
sorta) The TAMIL TIGERS are hindus
Protestants dispute faith over works. Catholics believe that works are artifacts of grace. But regardless, the only way to see reality is to die to self because that's how one eliminates bias.

Protestants dispute faith over works. Catholics believe that works are artifacts of grace. But regardless, the only way to see reality is to die to self because that's how one eliminates bias.
SHEEEEEEESH------that's BUDDHISM, buddy

PS-----jacob asserted his SELFHOOD. Selfhood is considered a cosmic edict
for man who is directed to CHOOSE

I have MAGNANIMOUSLY chosen to
not respond DINGBAT!!!!
Everything is choice. I choose to see each religion in its best light. It's actually not that hard to do if one remembers that the adherents of the other religions are no different than anyone else.

Everything is choice. I choose to see each religion in its best light. It's actually not that hard to do if one remembers that the adherents of the other religions are no different than anyone else.
seeing in "it's best light" is hardly----"they
is all the same

[/QUOTE]

tell me where this was.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe I think that would probably depend on which branch of buddhism you were following.
quote]maybe

Yes, I agree with you here.

It is not clear to me why anyone would
interpret the writings of Stephen Batchelor
as a criticism of Buddhism. What did I
MISS. For the record---I consider
Buddhism to be a religion
You make it sound like you have heard of him before. I did not say he was criticising Buddhism. I said he was criticising Buddhism having been treated as a religion.

Correct. But it gets rid of the bias so one can see the similarities.
I don't see all religions as the same though yes you can find similarities in them. I think where they probably overlap is in spirituality and that you probably could equate that to religion in some way. For a very long time I have felt there are many different religions but only one spirituality. The problem there is as far as I am aware not everyone belonging to a religion gets even a taste of the spirituality but instead gets stuck in the dogma.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back