Repeal the 17th Amendment!

ABOLISH the Senate. What are we, Romans off some tri-ream?

23 pages, somebody go for abolition. C'mon Americans. Stop the circle-jerkers.

Do we have to appoint Howard Stern temporary dictator?

OK...Fine....It's taxing bills that are supposed to start in the HoR...My mistake.

Now, maybe you can 'splain why all of the proposed budget bills by Boiking haven't manged to even get any DEMOCRAT votes in the Senate.

That's some kind of republican obstructionism! :rolleyes:

um, because they suck?

it's a little far afield from repealing the 17th, innit?

:rofl:

It's actually because most of them have been superseded by alternative proposals in the long journey from delivery to actual time to vote of them (if you notice, it's always the Republicans that are putting the original drafts on the calendar).

OK...Fine....It's taxing bills that are supposed to start in the HoR...My mistake.

Now, maybe you can 'splain why all of the proposed budget bills by Boiking haven't manged to even get any DEMOCRAT votes in the Senate.

That's some kind of republican obstructionism! :rolleyes:

um, because they suck?

It's actually because most of them have been superseded by alternative proposals in the long journey from delivery to actual time to vote of them (if you notice, it's always the Republicans that are putting the original drafts on the calendar).
Um...I don't know how to break this to you....But Harry Reid controls what gets on the calendar and what doesn't.

We're still not anywhere near discussing the 17th, though.

um, because they suck?

Um...I don't know how to break this to you....But Harry Reid controls what gets on the calendar and what doesn't.

False. While the Speaker of the House has supreme control over the calendar, the Senate doesn't function in the same manner.

False. While the Speaker of the House has supreme control over the calendar, the Senate doesn't function in the same manner.
Then why haven't any of the bills passed by the HoR since the repubs took over not seen the light of day?...Care to 'splain that one away?

Then why haven't any of the bills passed by the HoR since the repubs took over not seen the light of day?...Care to 'splain that one away?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Holds, perhaps? Think through this question logically for a second. Why would Reid schedule a vote on a proposal that he knows will get no Democratic votes?

"I don't know", honest as it may be, but doesn't answer the question.

Since I didn't know the answer to your question off the top of head, I took the time to research it (took me a few minutes because I had to find the bill number). The answer is that the bill was voted on the Senate.

The House passed their budget on March 29th.

House passes GOP budget - CNN

The Senate voted on it May 16th, with rejecting it 41-58.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

"I don't know", honest as it may be, but doesn't answer the question.

Since I didn't know the answer to your question off the top of head, I took the time to research it (took me a few minutes because I had to find the bill number). The answer is that the bill was voted on the Senate.

The House passed their budget on March 29th.

House passes GOP budget - CNN

The Senate voted on it May 16th, with rejecting it 41-58.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
Harry Reid's parsing the system worked to make nothing happen.

His marching orders are attached to a carte blanche Treasury open 24-hours to the executive suite.

The 17th Amendment has gotta go. :rolleyes:

Getting back to the subject, of all the things that have been discussed here, I think I really like what the Coalition to Repeal the 17th Amendment argues:

The founders created the Senate to be the legislative body that represented the states, while the House of Representatives represented the people. These two bodies were designed to
provide checks and balances between the legislative branch and the executive branch while also providing checks and balances between the federal government and the states.
The same progressive philosophy that prevailed during the Wilson era, that produced the Income Tax Amendment and the Federal Reserve, also produced the 17th Amendment in
1913. This Amendment took from the state legislatures the right to choose their two Senators, and let the people of the state choose their Senators in a state-wide election.
What's wrong with the people choosing their own Senators? For starters, this amendment strips power from the states, which ultimately strengthens the federal government. This Amendment removes an important check and balance between the federal government and the states. This Amendment completely removes the states from participation in the:

1. approval of federal legislation;
  2. approval of executive appointments for cabinet positions and federal judges;
  3. ratification of international treaties; and
  4. judgment in all matters of impeachment.
Moreover, state-wide election of Senators seriously reduces the accountability Senators have to their constituents. Representatives are accountable to the people in their District; Senators have a much larger pool of voters to woo, and can afford to offend far more people than can Representatives. And they do!

The founders set up an alliance of states, not a removal of states. What have we done?

The founders set up an alliance of states, not a removal of states. What have we done?

We've created a bicameral federal mobocracy.
You couldn't be truer, Mr. Oddball.

It's too bad our elect lack cohesion to declare war on the national debt, and that it all gets left to conservatives who can't win elections with constant eleventh hour calumny against those with the best records of no spending in their respective state's legislative groups. It takes 6 months to disprove some allegations. By that time, the election is over and the liar is already spending his expense account as well as the national debt into the ground.

Last edited:

Because Harry Reid doesn't have the balls to make the hard calls.

We've created a bicameral federal mobocracy.
You couldn't be truer, Mr. Oddball.

It's too bad our elect lack cohesion to declare war on the national debt, and that it all gets left to conservatives who can't win elections with constant eleventh hour calumny against those with the best records of no spending in their respective state's legislative groups. It takes 6 months to disprove some allegations. By that time, the election is over and the liar is already spending his expense account as well as the national debt into the ground.

I'm not sure I'd want them to. Every time the Feds declare war on a social problem, they make a mess of it. They declared war on poverty and now we have more poor people who are dependent on a gubmint check and breaking the country's financial back. They declared war on drugs and took what was essentially a non-issue, and made a train wreck of it. Now we have more drugs, worse drugs, and worse drug related crime than ever.

The Senate has already voted on, and rejected, the House's budget proposal.

The Senate has already voted on, and rejected, the House's budget proposal.

Meanwhile, we haven't had a budget passed in 3 years, no balanced budget, no pay back of the crushing debt, $15 trillion in debt and rising, and continuing resolutions that don't address or fix the problem.

Forum List

Back