Replacement for Letterman- Stephen Colbert

It should be interesting to see Colbert shed his current character and be himself. I'll tune in to check it, which is more than I've done with Letterman the last 15 or so years.

It would be a shame to lose the Stephen Colbert character

I wonder if the format will remain political or turn Hollywood focused

I agree it'll be sad to see the character go. I wonder what they'll do for the last episode?

Jon Stewart would have been a better choice. He is actually funny and witty. Colbert has to play his character to be funny (which I don't think he is funny) and I don't think that will transition to late night comedy.

How odd that CBS would go for someone who doesn't have an audience in his present job! CBS had to get rid of Letterman. Letterman knew it. He's just too old and other offerings are younger and more energetic. But Colbert!
Colbert has won 5 Emmys, a Grammy, and a Peabody.

I don't know about Colbert replacing my guy. I don't really ever watch Colbert, he's kind of boring and predictable.

CBS names Colbert as Letterman replacement

CBS moved quickly to replace David Letterman after the late-night host announced his retirement last week. Confirming speculation, Stephen Colbert, of Comedy Central's Colbert Report, will take over the Late Show sometime next year.

Colbert, whose current contract expires at year end, signed a five-year deal to host the show, which will begin when Letterman decides to step down when his contract expires in August 2015, though he could choose to leave earlier next year.

Thanks, good to know there will still be no reason to watch any late night shows.

why? they don't go off on Obama deranged rants?

cool...

How odd that CBS would go for someone who doesn't have an audience in his present job! CBS had to get rid of Letterman. Letterman knew it. He's just too old and other offerings are younger and more energetic. But Colbert!
Colbert has won 5 Emmys, a Grammy, and a Peabody.

you didn't really expect anything intelligent (or even approaching reality) to come off of his keyboard, did you?

It should be interesting to see Colbert shed his current character and be himself. I'll tune in to check it, which is more than I've done with Letterman the last 15 or so years.

was thinking the same. he has played the same character for so long...i'm interested and wondering if he can actually pull off a "non" character. talk hosts are primarily themselves....so i don't see how he can play 'papa bear' and do talk show....however....maybe CBS wants that, but i don't see it working. also, he is quite cutting with guests, which makes him brilliant, but i just don't see that same wit with movie stars etc...

he is extremely talented, so hopefully he will pull it off because i find the guy quite hilarious.

I don't know how Seth Meyers is doing, we don't get NBC here anymore. He might be good enough by then. He's very funny and really cute.

Should have went with Howard Stern. Colbert will phail. Looks like Kimmel and Fallon can breathe easy and fight out the ratings war between themselves.

Howard needs a long form interview show. The dude can make anyone interesting. But he's got to be on cable to allow flexibility when it comes to subject matter.

Should have went with Howard Stern. Colbert will phail. Looks like Kimmel and Fallon can breathe easy and fight out the ratings war between themselves.

Howard needs a long form interview show. The dude can make anyone interesting. But he's got to be on cable to allow flexibility when it comes to subject matter.

I got the impression that Letterman doesn't like Howard Stern. Stern didn't show up one night and when he rescheduled, Letterman just went through the motions in his interview. I don't know this gossip for sure but it seemed that way to me.

Besides Stern is almost as old as Letterman, he's 60. They need somebody younger and funnier.

I got the impression that Letterman doesn't like Howard Stern. Stern didn't show up one night and when he rescheduled, Letterman just went through the motions in his interview. I don't know this gossip for sure but it seemed that way to me.

Besides Stern is almost as old as Letterman, he's 60. They need somebody younger and funnier.

Well, Letterman recently sat with Howard on stage for a 40 minute interview during Howard's "Birthday Bash". Letterman is an aloof guy.....but I think Howard is as close to him as just about anyone.

I don't think Colbert is going to succeed either. I was surprised at that choice, really.

All anyone knows of colbert is his persona on his show. Considering no one among the viewing public really knows his actual personality, I am wondering why CBS took such a risk like this.

Forum List

Back