🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Report: states with higher minimum wages have gained more jobs

Some economists argue that six months of data isn't enough to draw conclusions.

"It's too early to tell," said Stan Veuger, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. "These states are very different along all kinds of dimensions."

For example, the number of jobs in North Dakota — which didn't raise the minimum wage and has prospered because of a boom in oil and gas drilling — rose 2.8% since the start of this year, the most of any state.

But job growth in the aging industrial state of Ohio was just 0.7% after its minimum rose to $7.95 from $7.85. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

But what is telling about this article is that it shows raising the wage does not COST jobs. Whether or not raising the wage produces job growth is what is debateable.

Raising minimum wages effects current jobs as well as potential job growth.

With respect to current jobs, higher minimum wages effects employers.

Higher minimum wages also effects potential employers.

Raise employment and increased wages will follow suit.

Raise wages and jobs will suffer.

Jobs won't suffer because turnover will be reduced and motivation will increase with millions of people being lifted out of poverty. Plus, the increase in demand from higher wages will eventually create jobs.

"It's too early to tell," said Stan Veuger, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. "These states are very different along all kinds of dimensions."

For example, the number of jobs in North Dakota — which didn't raise the minimum wage and has prospered because of a boom in oil and gas drilling — rose 2.8% since the start of this year, the most of any state.

But job growth in the aging industrial state of Ohio was just 0.7% after its minimum rose to $7.95 from $7.85. The federal minimum wage is $7.25.

But what is telling about this article is that it shows raising the wage does not COST jobs. Whether or not raising the wage produces job growth is what is debateable.
The article shows no such thing. Check unemployment rates among teens and other likely min wage earners. I'll bet anything they're higher.
Libs are bad at math,bad at statistics, bad at logic. Is there anything they can do??

Jobs won't suffer because turnover will be reduced and motivation will increase with millions of people being lifted out of poverty. Plus, the increase in demand from higher wages will eventually create jobs.

Not real clear on that "Economics" thing, are ya, Sparky?

You aren't clear on any academic discipline. Why do you even bother with this forum?

The article shows no such thing. Check unemployment rates among teens and other likely min wage earners. I'll bet anything they're higher.
Libs are bad at math,bad at statistics, bad at logic. Is there anything they can do??

That is the key factor, is it producing minimum wage jobs or higher wage jobs? We have to many under employed, it is causing workers to take on several part-time jobs. Minimum wage jobs are not any kind of answer but this economy is just not able to entice higher wages. That is why recovery is still sluggish.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

If it cost jobs or not will depend on the state in some I'm sure it won't in others I'm equally sure it will raising the minimum wage will not have a one size fits all effect.

You aren't clear on any academic discipline. Why do you even bother with this forum?

Because I love showing how ignorant little pricks like you are. You dont have the slightest clue what you're talking about. And your posts get sillier every time you try.
Now, let's hear you explain how a higher min wage produces more jobs. Heck, let's see you claim that actually happened.

Because I love showing how ignorant little pricks like you are. You dont have the slightest clue what you're talking about. And your posts get sillier every time you try.
Now, let's hear you explain how a higher min wage produces more jobs. Heck, let's see you claim that actually happened.

I already did you ass clown. This is a consumption based economy. Higher wages means more demand in the market. That creates jobs. Don't blame me you aren't smart enough to grasp how our economy works.

I already did you ass clown. This is a consumption based economy. Higher wages means more demand in the market. That creates jobs. Don't blame me you aren't smart enough to grasp how our economy works.

Sidestepping the issue? You showed no such thing.
Did overall wages go up as a result of higher min wage in those states?

Billy, save your fingers. The stupid rabbit doesn't even think that around 70% of our economic activity is consumer spending. How you gonna discuss ANYTHING with a rabbit that is that stupid?

The rabbit thinks............companies just build increased production capabilities not because people are buying more. They build them and then people start buying more.

Right rabbit? The tail wags the dog.

Billy, save your fingers. The stupid rabbit doesn't even think that around 70% of our economic activity is consumer spending. How you gonna discuss ANYTHING with a rabbit that is that stupid?

The rabbit thinks............companies just build increased production capabilities not because people are buying more. They build them and then people start buying more.

Right rabbit? The tail wags the dog.

It's Zeke, giving us the Economics From an Unemployed Trailer Park Dweller perspective.
Thanks, Zeke. I never said consumer spending was not 70% of our economic spending but to someone with 2 working brain cells it might sound like that.

if that's true....why not raise min wage to $50/hr.....$100/hr....?

that .2% increase in the article could have been due to other factors....

Like error. The whole thing may not be true at all. Or it could be due to all kinds of other circumstances. But libs are bad at logic.

Like error. The whole thing may not be true at all. Or it could be due to all kinds of other circumstances. But libs are bad at logic.

It's amazing how committed you are to ignorance.

Artificially inflating the minimum wage will not create more jobs. It will have the opposit effect. Employers that pay minmum wage do so as a starting point for new employees. These employers are typically restaurants (esp fast food franchises), bars and retail stores. Imposing mandatory wage increases forces these busines to: cut hours for existing employees, self impose hiring freezes, drop all perks for employees, raise their prices and in some cases close their doors.
The real way to create economic opportunrity is to have a tax code encourages domestic investment instead having one that discourages it.

Last edited:

It's amazing how committed you are to ignorance.

You mean because I engage your bullshit? You have a point.
Are you ready to admit that the article does not show a causative effect between raising the min wage and employment growth?

Lifting millions of people out of poverty and and an increased inducement to work is just a bunch of bs. The min wage is supposed to parallel the extreme min of what a person can live on. The cost of living has skyrocketed so much because of govt involvement in the marketplace(regulations, healthcare, education) that 7.25 or whatever is too low to even barely fit that description. Raising the min wage to ten dollars does not get anyone out of poverty it just keeps them even with the economic level,they are already at, and still isn't as much as they can get through welfare.

I support raising the min wage if it was done in a way to lessen its impact on small businesses and put more money, for all you consumption people in the hands of the workers. Let the min wage go up to ten dollars an hour but take no taxes for the govt or employer contributions out for one year and let the workers keep the whole ten dollars.

People who want to work are already working. Adding anywhere from eight dollars to eighty dollars extra a week isn't going to incentivize anyone.

Those who believe drastically changing the min wage structure will happen in a vacuum and have no effect on the hiring practices of small businesses have never run a business.

oh brother

swallow swallow swallow hook line and stinker

these are people who vote too

Hey stupid, we need job growth.

Hey, dipshit! Paying higher wages makes people want to work and increases demand. Learn economics!
I can't believe you just typed out this diatribe. How the hell does demand for a job increase the demand for the product that job provides? You can increase the drive through wages at McD's to 50 bucks an hour and yes there would be a lot more demand for that job but it doesn't increase the demand for the bag of crap food being handed out the window. Especially when the price increases to cover that employee's wages.

The demand for jobs is already there. There are no jobs to be had is the issue. Wages will go up when there are more jobs than people to do them. You obviously never learned that economic reality.

Forum List

Back