Reps Challenge DHS Ammo Buys...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Hey, at least some are asking questions. Doesn't mean they'll get answers though. But at least some care enough to ask the questions.

Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz said Thursday that the Department of Homeland Security is using roughly 1,000 rounds of ammunition more per person than the U.S. Army, as he and other lawmakers sharply questioned DHS officials on their "massive" bullet buys.

"It is entirely ... inexplicable why the Department of Homeland Security needs so much ammunition," Chaffetz, R-Utah, said at a hearing.

The hearing itself was unusual, as questions about the department's ammunition purchases until recently had bubbled largely under the radar -- on blogs and in the occasional news article. But as the Department of Homeland Security found itself publicly defending the purchases, lawmakers gradually showed more interest in the issue.

Democratic Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass., at the opening of the hearing, ridiculed the concerns as "conspiracy theories" which have "no place" in the committee room.

But Republicans said the purchases raise "serious" questions about waste and accountability.

Chaffetz, who chairs one of the House oversight subcommittees holding the hearing Thursday, revealed that the department currently has more than 260 million rounds in stock. He said the department bought more than 103 million rounds in 2012 and used 116 million that same year -- among roughly 70,000 agents...

Read more: Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army | Fox News

GOP Lawmakers Hope to Combat Ammunition Stockpiling by Gov’t Agencies With Ammo Act

Republicans in the Senate and House are expected to introduce a joint bill Friday that would limit the amount of ammunition that federal agencies are allowed to buy and stockpile over the next six months, the Washington Free Beacon reports.

The bill, titled the Ammunition Management for More Accountability or “AMMO” Act, is being proposed after several lawmakers have voiced concerns about some federal agencies, like the Department of Homeland Security, seemingly stockpiling large quantities of ammo.

“DHS, for instance, has placed two-years worth of ammunition, or nearly 247 million rounds, in its inventory,” the Free Beacon notes.

In a statement provided to the Washington Free Beacon, one of the bill’s co-sponsors, Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), said federal agencies must provide more “transparency and accountability” in regards to its “stockpiles of ammunition”...

Read More:
GOP Lawmakers Hope to Combat Ammunition Stockpiling by Gov?t Agencies With AMMO Act | TheBlaze.com

He said the department, on average, buys roughly 100 million rounds per year.

I hope that sinks in with the idiots who think the DHS and Army bought 1.6 billion rounds and are about to declare war on the American people.

As for the additionally stupid conspiracy theory the government is buying ammo to cause a shortage, the rubes are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Believing the idiotic conspiracy theories to be true, the rubes are hoarding. Since we now live in a world of the lean manufacturing process, that hoarding is what is creating the shortage. :lol:

In a few months I bet you see a glut of ammo.

Last edited:

I hope that sinks in with the idiots who think the DHS and Army bought 1.6 billion rounds and are about to declare war on the American people.

As for the additionally stupid conspiracy theory the government is buying ammo to cause a shortage, the rubes are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Believing the idiotic conspiracy theories to be true, the rubes are hoarding. Since we now live in a world of the lean manufacturing process, that hoarding is what is creating the shortage. :lol:

In a few months I bet you see a glut of ammo.

Looks like your beloved Big Brother is doing all the hoarding. But why? That's the most important question. More need to start asking that.

So if they're buying 100 million rounds a year wouldn't it take 16 years to get 1.6 Billion?

Are you saying it took that long?

Granny says is `cause dey gonna start bumpin' people off so dey don't have to pay social security benefits...
:eek:
Why Is Social Security Stockpiling Bullets?
9/5/2012 Granny, get your gun? The Internet rumor mill has been buzzing in full force after the Social Security Administration posted notice of a recent ammunition purchase. Why would the agency responsible for pension and disability benefits need 174,000 hollow-point bullets?
Don’t worry: The SSA isn’t readying a militia. It is not — as the website Infowars.com suggested — preparing for “civil unrest,” nor hatching plans to turn on America’s senior citizenry. The bullets, it turns out, are for agents who investigate Social Security fraud. In a blog post, the agency noted: Our investigators are similar to your State or local police officers. They use traditional investigative techniques, and they are armed when on official duty.

According to Jonathan L. Lasher of the SSA’s inspector general office, these agents make arrests, execute search warrants and carry .357 caliber pistols. Most of the bullets — about 590 per agent for the upcoming fiscal year — will be used on the firing range. Six hundred rounds per year for training, qualification and I would assume to carry on duty is not out of line at all,” said John W. Worden, director of the University of Missouri’s Law Enforcement Training Institute. “Hollow points are carried by law enforcement all over the country and are probably the preferred type of ammo no matter what caliber.”

Because they expand when they enter the body, hollow-point bullets are known to cause more tissue damage than other bullets. But hollow-points are preferred for duty ammunition because they stop when they hit an object instead of passing through it and striking more objects.

Why Is Social Security Stockpiling Bullets? ? AARP

Last edited:
Granny says is `cause dey gonna start bumpin' people off so dey don't have to pay social security benefits...
9/5/2012 Granny, get your gun? The Internet rumor mill has been buzzing in full force after the Social Security Administration posted notice of a recent ammunition purchase. Why would the agency responsible for pension and disability benefits need 174,000 hollow-point bullets?
Don’t worry: The SSA isn’t readying a militia. It is not — as the website Infowars.com suggested — preparing for “civil unrest,” nor hatching plans to turn on America’s senior citizenry. The bullets, it turns out, are for agents who investigate Social Security fraud. In a blog post, the agency noted: Our investigators are similar to your State or local police officers. They use traditional investigative techniques, and they are armed when on official duty.

According to Jonathan L. Lasher of the SSA’s inspector general office, these agents make arrests, execute search warrants and carry .357 caliber pistols. Most of the bullets — about 590 per agent for the upcoming fiscal year — will be used on the firing range. Six hundred rounds per year for training, qualification and I would assume to carry on duty is not out of line at all,” said John W. Worden, director of the University of Missouri’s Law Enforcement Training Institute. “Hollow points are carried by law enforcement all over the country and are probably the preferred type of ammo no matter what caliber.”

Because they expand when they enter the body, hollow-point bullets are known to cause more tissue damage than other bullets. But hollow-points are preferred for duty ammunition because they stop when they hit an object instead of passing through it and striking more objects.

I guess the government made the right call, SSA agents ain't smart enough to carry a semi-automatic handgun so they will be issued .357 revolvers. At least they won't shoot themselves in the foot like the administration does.

I guess the government made the right call, SSA agents ain't smart enough to carry a semi-automatic handgun so they will be issued .357 revolvers. At least they won't shoot themselves in the foot like the administration does.
Not revolvers.
I know Homeland Security issues SIG P229s in .357SIG. I assume these are the same pistol. Why they went with the SIG round is beyond me.
Six hundred rounds a year for training and qualification sounds like a lot to me, as the average LEO doesnt shoot nearly that much.

600 rounds ain't squat. I blow through that in a weekend. My last training class I attended required each student to have 1,000 rounds ands that was down. They used to require 1,500 rounds for training.

600 rounds ain't squat. I blow through that in a weekend. My last training class I attended required each student to have 1,000 rounds ands that was down. They used to require 1,500 rounds for training.

Most of the LEO I've encountered fire 50 rounds twice a year for qualification, and maybe another 200 for practice.
Yeah of course a guy who likes shooting might fire 600 in a month. But those are the exception.

Forum List

Back