Republican bill will do away with overtime after 40 hours of work

How is providing more options doing away with?

Not an OPTION if your employer doesn't want to pay overtime you are shit out of luck

The usual lie from the usual liar.

The law provides that if the worker wants the normal time-and-a-half pay instead of comp time, the employer must give it to him.

Do you people even read the things you are protesting?

H.R.1406 - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - To amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide compensatory time for employees in the private sector. - Summary | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Until now, employers who wanted you to work (say) two hours of overtime today, had no choice. They HAD to pay you three hours' worth of pay (time-and-a-half) for those two hours.

Some employers would quietly offer you comp time if you wanted it, even though the law said they couldn't. They would let you take two hours off, some other day. Though they obviously couldn't force it on you, if they didn't want a major lawsuit on their hands.

If this amendment passes, it will make it legal for employers to offer you that comp time, though the law specifically says that you want the monetary pay anyway, the employer must give it to you.

The only difference if this law passes? The employer must give you three hours of comp time for the two hours of overtime you worked. Not just the two hours he used to give you under the table.

If you tell him you want three hours' of pay instead, the employer must pay you.

Jeez, read the law, for chrissake. You weren't going to take a bunch of LIBERALS' word for what it said, were you?

Last edited:
Not an OPTION if your employer doesn't want to pay overtime you are shit out of luck

The law provides that if the worker wants the normal time-and-a-half pay instead of comp time, the employer must give it to him.

H.R.1406 - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - To amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide compensatory time for employees in the private sector. - Summary | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Until now, employers who wanted you to work (say) two hours of overtime today, had no choice. They HAD to pay you three hours' worth of pay (time-and-a-half) for those two hours.

Some employers would quietly offer you comp time if you wanted it, even though the law said they couldn't. They would let you take two hours off, some other day. Though they obviously couldn't force it on you, if they didn't want a major lawsuit on their hands.

If this amendment passes, it will make it legal for employers to offer you that comp time, though the law specifically says that you want the monetary pay anyway, the employer must give it to you.

The only difference if this law passes? The employer must give you three hours of comp time for the two hours of overtime you worked. Not just the two hours he used to give you under the table.

If you tell him you want three hours' of pay instead, the employer must pay you.

Jeez, read the law, for chrissake. You weren't going to take a bunch of LIBERALS' word for what it said, were you?

What you said is to cofusing for me, I like the old way better.... I worked till say 10 p.m. last night, I say hey boss I fixed your stupid machine and got it running producition. you wont see me in the a.m. till I feel like comming in..... he says ok, no problem......thanks....

I have employees choose comp time on a regular basis.
For the most part young family men and women want the over-time. Once they have established a stable home etc., most want the time. Particularly during the summer. During slow periods it is nothing for the shop to be emptied out by 2pm on Friday.
They want it that way - I am glad to provide them with it. Saves me money - and they get an early start on the weekend.

What you said is to cofusing for me, I like the old way better.... I worked till say 10 p.m. last night, I say hey boss I fixed your stupid machine and got it running producition. you wont see me in the a.m. till I feel like comming in..... he says ok, no problem......thanks....

Under this law, you can. They just "made it legal".

Only difference is, used to be that you could stay at home till noon. If this law passed, you can stay at home till 2:30PM.

Republican bill will do away with overtime after 40 hours of work

images

Here is the actual language within the BIll that shows that it is an option employers can offer, but it is at the discretion of the employee as to whether he accepts it or not, the employer has nothing they can do except offer it as an option, period-

here is the language from the Bill if it hasn't alredy been posted -
‘‘(B) in the case of employees who are not
4 represented by a labor organization that has
5 been certified or recognized as the representative
6 of such employees under applicable law, an
7 agreement arrived at between the employer and
8 employee before the performance of the work and
9 affirmed by a written or otherwise verifiable
10 record maintained in accordance with section
11 11(c)—
12 ‘‘(i) in which the employer has offered
13 and the employee has chosen to receive com
14 pensatory time in lieu of monetary overtime
15 compensation; and
16 ‘‘(ii) entered into knowingly and vol
17 untarily by such employees and not as a
18 condition of employment

Why didn't this kill this bullshit thread?

Here is the actual language within the BIll that shows that it is an option employers can offer, but it is at the discretion of the employee as to whether he accepts it or not, the employer has nothing they can do except offer it as an option, period-

11 11(c)—
15 compensation; and

Because if liberals had to stick to the truth while complaining about conservatives, they'd have nothing to say at all.

That would be terrible, wouldn't it. :razz:

Bend over and grab your ankles!

If you are one of the millions of workers who count on overtime to stretch your paycheck, including the 59% of US workers paid by the hour, it’s time to tell House Republicans, “Don’t cut my overtime with your so-called Working Families Flexibility Act (H.R. 1406).”

The bill would allow employers to stop giving workers any extra pay for overtime work and instead substitute “comp time.”

1. “Comp Time” means a pay cut—Workers compensated with time off rather than cash would see a reduction in their take-home pay.

2. “Comp Time” means mandatory overtime—“Comp time” legislation would make mandatory overtime less expensive for employers. Under “comp time” legislation, employers may be able to receive the benefits of overtime work at no additional cost to themselves.

3. “Comp Time” means more unpredictable work schedules for employees—Making mandatory overtime cheaper for employers would keep workers on the job longer and result in more unpredictable worker schedules and, for workers with children, higher day care costs.

5 Things You Need to Know About the ?Comp Time? Bill

Polkow, I think the consensus about your misinformation takes 4 Pinocchio's:

6a00d83451b4ba69e20176178800d6970c-450wi

Ohmmmmmm!

Under this law, you can. They just "made it legal".

Only difference is, used to be that you could stay at home till noon. If this law passed, you can stay at home till 2:30PM.

Yea but why did we have to make it "legal" anyways? guessing to many evil H.R. bitch's trying to run the show. oh god thats why I will never work for a big company again. where is a Dilbert comic strip pic when you need it lol

11 11(c)—
15 compensation; and

Because libs live and breathe.

No, because the Employer-Employee relationship is almost always one-sided in favor of the Employer, and because it's far too easy for the Employer - who holds most of the trump cards - to coerce Employees to agree to the option that the Employer wants.

And, beyond that bit o' common sense, comes the huge distrust which Labor has for Management - both historical, and in the context of the past couple of decades of bringing-in Illegal Aliens, outsourcing, and shipping jobs overseas. Frankly, I don't blame the Labor folk one little bit for that mindset, nowadays.

If Management tells you that the daytime sky is blue, chances are good that it is not blue after all.

No, because the Employer-Employee relationship is almost always one-sided in favor of the Employer, and because it's far too easy for the Employer - who holds most of the trump cards - to coerce Employees to agree to the option that the Employer wants.

And, beyond that bit o' common sense, comes the huge distrust which Labor has for Management - both historical, and in the context of the past couple of decades of bringing-in Illegal Aliens, outsourcing, and shipping jobs overseas. Frankly, I don't blame the Labor folk one little bit for that mindset, nowadays.

If Management tells you that the daytime sky is blue, chances are good that it is not blue after all.

^^^
Entitlment at its finest. As well as proof libs breathe and live....err well, live and whine

Last edited:

Nice to see you have a sane and rational argument.

Comp time is not so bad provided you can actually take it.

Time is more important than money. You can always make more money but you can't make more time.

I have no problem with comp time so long as the employee has the choice and is not forced to take comp time rather than receive overtime pay, especially if the comp time is only calculated at an hour for hour basis rather than the time and a half.

mm mmm...and I suppose you never go to WalMart or Cosco or anywhere else and buy cheap products?
Whatever....companies in the past 30 years have outsourced labor and done everything in their power to lower costs BECAUSE CONSUMERS DEMAND THEM TO DO SO. When it comes to being consumers, Americans are the most hypocritical, selfish people on the planet. Americans do NOT support local businesses, do not care one iota where a product is made as long as it is cheap.
Businesses do what they have to do in an environment where the consumers have lost all sense of value and overwhelmingly choose price over everything else.
But of course you never do that. :doubt: And you will also fail to see my point, because gee...it makes you a part of the problem and places part of the blame on someone other than those mean rich bastards.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back