Republican representatives voted against bailout out of spite.

Link?

At least you didn't call her the withered old bitch like Willowhead did.

How come it is considered sexist to criticize Palin and yet it isn't to actually call Pelosi nasty names?

cry me a river, the day you DUmmies stop calling names is the day I'll stop.

I'll see if I can find a link to what Pelosi said leading up to the vote. I have been reading so much I can't remember where I read it. It was just typical political posturing, and I don't blame the Republican representatives for voting their conscience, is all I'm saying. I'm sure Nancy Pelosi makes a fine congresswoman for her constituents, but evidently she isn't savvy enough to be the Speaker of the House.

I'll see if I can find a link to what Pelosi said leading up to the vote. I have been reading so much I can't remember where I read it. It was just typical political posturing, and I don't blame the Republican representatives for voting their conscience, is all I'm saying. I'm sure Nancy Pelosi makes a fine congresswoman for her constituents, but evidently she isn't savvy enough to be the Speaker of the House.
I'd appreciate it, I don't remember her saying anything like that, and her speech that they took issue certainly didn't imply it.

I'd be happy if they voted their conscience, but by their own words, they voted because their feelings were hurt.

Poor guy, it'll take him centuries before you can post a coherent thought.

yes, poor whiney assed psuedo-intellectual hypocrites.. ain't you superior? why yes, I think you are. to a gnat.

As long as the right thing is done, it doesn't matter why it is done. I kind of think Polosi thinks the bail out is a good idea and would work, and she is trying to kill it so the Republicans can't get credit. It works for me however we get there.

It is just a bad bill. If enough heat is applied to congress, it will burn.

I'd appreciate it, I don't remember her saying anything like that, and her speech that they took issue certainly didn't imply it.

I'd be happy if they voted their conscience, but by their own words, they voted because their feelings were hurt.

They were going to compromise and then decided not to because of the way she presented things, according to several articles I read. It was more about the "feeling" that they were being set-up and I just don't blame them for balking at the compromise. This stuff happens every time they vote up there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Republicans are blameless for all of our financial troubles, far from it. I'm just scoffing at the blatant politicizing of such an important vote. Pelosi made a mistake, in my opinion. The "rescue" bill WILL pass through the house eventually and hopefully in a better form than before.

Here's one link to the story:
Did Nancy Pelosi's Speech Sink the Bailout? - The Home Front (usnews.com)

Did Nancy Pelosi's Speech Sink the Bailout?
September 30, 2008 12:05 PM ET | Luke Mullins | Permanent Link

Republicans say a speech by Speaker Nancy Pelosi caused the House of Representatives' surprising rejection of the $700 billion financial bailout bill Monday.

From the Associated Press:

Republicans blamed Pelosi's scathing speech near the close of the debate—which attacked Bush's economic policies and a "right-wing ideology of anything goes, no supervision, no discipline, no regulation" of financial markets—for the vote's failure.

"We could have gotten there today had it not been for the partisan speech that the speaker gave on the floor of the House," Minority Leader John Boehner said. Pelosi's words, the Ohio Republican said, "poisoned our conference, caused a number of members that we thought we could get, to go south."

Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri, the GOP whip, estimated that Pelosi's speech changed the minds of a dozen Republicans who might otherwise have supported the plan.

So how inflammatory was the speech? See for yourself:

As long as the right thing is done, it doesn't matter why it is done. I kind of think Polosi thinks the bail out is a good idea and would work, and she is trying to kill it so the Republicans can't get credit. It works for me however we get there.

It is just a bad bill. If enough heat is applied to congress, it will burn.

Yes, they ALL care so much about credit and blame, it's frustrating to watch.

H.R.1424
Title: A bill to provide authority for the Federal Government to purchase and insure certain types of troubled assets for the purposes of providing stability to and preventing disruption in the economy and financial system and protecting taxpayers, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide incentives for energy production and conservation, to extend certain expiring provisions, to provide individual income tax relief, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Kennedy, Patrick J. [RI-1] (introduced 3/9/2007) Cosponsors (274)
Related Bills: H.RES.1014, H.R.493, H.R.1367, S.358
Latest Major Action: 10/1/2008 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Passed Senate, pursuant to the order of September 30, 2008, having achieved the required 60 votes in the affirmative, with an amendment and an amendment to the Title by Yea-Nay Vote. 74 - 25. Record Vote Number: 213.
House Reports: 110-374 Part 1, 110-374 Part 2, 110-374 Part 3
Note: Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. On 10/1/2008, the Senate passed H.R.1424 as the vehicle for the economic rescue legislation. See documents on the Senate Banking Committee website. Division A (pp.2-113) of the draft legislation is referred to as the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008; Division B (pp. 113-261) is referred to as the Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008; and Division C (pp. 261-451) is referred to as the Tax Extenders and Alternative Minimum Tax Relief Act of 2008.
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I spent a lot of time on this site last night and this morning. It's amazing how they latch things onto these bills. I'd have to quit my job and work full time to follow all the twists and turns they pull. I try to focus on the principles instead of the individual politicians. It's much easier to keep your eye on the ball that way. :D

I wouldn't vote for it either! Look at this crap!!

Loads of Pork Littl: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

But the Senate bill is also laden with pork, including:

$223M for Alaskan fisherman
$192M for rum producers in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
$128M for auto racing
$33M for companies operating in American Samoa
$10M for film & TV production
$6M for producers of wooden arrows

They were going to compromise and then decided not to because of the way she presented things, according to several articles I read. It was more about the "feeling" that they were being set-up and I just don't blame them for balking at the compromise. This stuff happens every time they vote up there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Republicans are blameless for all of our financial troubles, far from it. I'm just scoffing at the blatant politicizing of such an important vote. Pelosi made a mistake, in my opinion. The "rescue" bill WILL pass through the house eventually and hopefully in a better form than before.

Here's one link to the story:
Sorry, I don't buy it. If they felt like they were being set up, then they should have said that. Instead, they whined like little children that she was a meanie.

Forum List

Back