Retirement in America is a disaster for many.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Retirement in America is a disaster for many like Withers. And no one — politicians, financial planners, pick your own expert — seems to know what exactly to do about it.

I have been covering all this for years as a journalist, book author, and public speaker. Trust me, the state of retirement in America has never been this bad since the federal law that molded the majority of today’s retirement landscape, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or ERISA, was signed into law 50 years ago.

The article is a tad long but well worth the read.

The heart of the problem comes down to not saving enough prior to retiring and the cost of healthcare as you age along with the cost of assisted-care facilities and nursing homes.

Lots of suggestions for how to fix it, most rely on the Govt, which does not seem to be the way to go

Assisted-care facilities and nursing home costs are the killer and are hard to plan for.....7K a month at the very least as of last year.

Hospice care (in home) seems to be the way to "go" till some doctor decides you can't be at home after a medical event and orders you stuck in a "home".

Oh, and BTW, doctors get kickbacks for sticking you in one too.

Better to just eat a bullet at that point if you are able.

Retirement in America is a disaster for many like Withers. And no one — politicians, financial planners, pick your own expert — seems to know what exactly to do about it.

I have been covering all this for years as a journalist, book author, and public speaker. Trust me, the state of retirement in America has never been this bad since the federal law that molded the majority of today’s retirement landscape, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or ERISA, was signed into law 50 years ago.

The article is a tad long but well worth the read.

The heart of the problem comes down to not saving enough prior to retiring and the cost of healthcare as you age along with the cost of assisted-care facilities and nursing homes.

Lots of suggestions for how to fix it, most rely on the Govt, which does not seem to be the way to go
Yep.... I’m looking at it and it looks a lot worse than I thought it would 20 years ago. I’m luckier than most. I have a pension from public sector work and my 401k, some investments, and I have a growing amount of side work that I do.

The loss of a spouse never stops destroying you. We were supposed to be doing this together.

Assisted-care facilities and nursing home costs are the killer and are hard to plan for.....7K a month at the very least as of last year.

Hospice care (in home) seems to be the way to "go" till some doctor decides you can't be at home after a medical event and orders you stuck in a "home".

Oh, and BTW, doctors get kickbacks for sticking you in one too.

Better to just eat a bullet at that point if you are able.
Please...lead by example you sick fuck.

A lot of people retire when they don't have the means to do so, this is where they fuck up.

Walmart hires a lot of us old fucks who don't have two nickels to rub together, but a lot of geezers are too proud to fetch carts in a parking lot.

Yep.... I’m looking at it and it looks a lot worse than I thought it would 20 years ago. I’m luckier than most. I have a pension from public sector work and my 401k, some investments, and I have a growing amount of side work that I do.

The loss of a spouse never stops destroying you. We were supposed to be doing this together.

It is a mess out there. We are blessed in that I have my Marine Crops Pension and my wife will have one from the VA. Plus over the last 10 years we have had the means to put a lot of money into retirement accounts.

But this is not the case for a lot of people.

So sorry about your loss, it is my biggest fear in life

A lot of people retire when they don't have the means to do so, this is where they fuck up.

Walmart hires a lot of us old fucks who don't have two nickels to rub together, but a lot of geezers are too proud to fetch carts in a parking lot.

Nobody should have to work after 65 if they do not want to.

As for being too proud, perhaps they are not physically able.

It is a mess out there. We are blessed in that I have my Marine Crops Pension and my wife will have one from the VA. Plus over the last 10 years we have had the means to put a lot of money into retirement accounts.

But this is not the case for a lot of people.

So sorry about your loss, it is my biggest fear in life
Not to build on the fear but the biggest lie I was ever told after they died was that “they were half your life”. Not even close. At least 95% of my life. Every decision you make from scheduling a trip to the hair salon to the type of oregano you buy involves them. Then when they are gone...the decisions you continue to make are tributes to them. I still buy the same oregano.

Not to build on the fear but the biggest lie I was ever told after they died was that “they were half your life”. Not even close. At least 95% of my life. Every decision you make from scheduling a trip to the hair salon to the type of oregano you buy involves them. Then when they are gone...the decisions you continue to make are tributes to them. I still buy the same oregano.

Honestly my even bigger fear is that I will die before my wife. I never want her to go through it.

Forum List

Back