rich republicans don't like homeless Jesus

Brucetheidiot has no idea what the Bible says. He may read a few verses but he doesn't really understand.

He talks about tithing as if we owe the church something. Tithing doesn't have to be money and it doesn't have to be given to any church.

Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness.

42 “Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenthj of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God.k You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.l Luke 11:42
Your post shows why "Lonestar Logic" is a contradiction in terms.
Tithing, biblically, is 10% of ones earnings. It isn't complicated. That's it.
In the modern church it has morphed, because congregants don't give that much. Trust me, I know.
As for whether this is important or not, I am on your side. Jesus is, too. The OT demand has no weight in the discussion of a person's heart.
But we are talking about charity.
Try to keep up.

I have no idea where you get your screwed up ideas but it certainly isn't the Bible.

In the New testament there is no specific rule about tithing. In the Old testament, Leviticus 27:30-33 and Numbers 18: 21-28

Leviticus 27:30-33

30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord. 33 No one may pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If anyone does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

Nothing about ten percent of your income there.

Numbers 18: 21-28

21 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: 'They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.' " 25 The LORD said to Moses, 26 "Speak to the Levites and say to them: 'When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD's offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the LORD from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the LORD's portion to Aaron the priest.

Nope nothing in there supports your ridiculous claim either.

Tithing has nothing to do with charity and if you think it does then you are as ignorant as I suspected.

Tithing is an offering to God whereas charity is giving to the needy.

The origin of tithing in scripture began when God gave Abraham victory over his enemies in the rescue of Lot, he met Melchizedek king of Salem who brought bread and wine, he blessed him and gave him tithes of all (Genesis 14:18-20). Abraham was thankful to God for his victory over his enemies. His was the first example of tithing and God chose him for his faith in Him. Abraham was fully blessed and the Israelites were blessed for his sake throughout the generations. Out of David, his descendant came the Messiah from whom all nations are blessed.

Government redistribution =/= charity

Actually you are very correct on this. If I give someone $5 charity I don't expect to be repaid, it won't be charity if I did. The government gives money to the poor, for example, and does expect to get paid back in tax dollars at some point. So in that sense you are correct, the government does not give charity.

Brucetheidiot has no idea what the Bible says. He may read a few verses but he doesn't really understand.

He talks about tithing as if we owe the church something. Tithing doesn't have to be money and it doesn't have to be given to any church.

Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness.

42 “Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenthj of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God.k You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.l Luke 11:42
In the modern church it has morphed, because congregants don't give that much. Trust me, I know.
As for whether this is important or not, I am on your side. Jesus is, too. The OT demand has no weight in the discussion of a person's heart.
Try to keep up.

I have no idea where you get your screwed up ideas but it certainly isn't the Bible.

In the New testament there is no specific rule about tithing. In the Old testament, Leviticus 27:30-33 and Numbers 18: 21-28

30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord. 33 No one may pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If anyone does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

21 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: 'They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.' " 25 The LORD said to Moses, 26 "Speak to the Levites and say to them: 'When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD's offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the LORD from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the LORD's portion to Aaron the priest.

Tithing has nothing to do with charity and if you think it does then you are as ignorant as I suspected.

The origin of tithing in scripture began when God gave Abraham victory over his enemies in the rescue of Lot, he met Melchizedek king of Salem who brought bread and wine, he blessed him and gave him tithes of all (Genesis 14:18-20). Abraham was thankful to God for his victory over his enemies. His was the first example of tithing and God chose him for his faith in Him. Abraham was fully blessed and the Israelites were blessed for his sake throughout the generations. Out of David, his descendant came the Messiah from whom all nations are blessed.
You moron!
What is described in that first verse REPRESENTS the income of these people!
The second verse is about what the tribe responsible for the temple gets for its service. It gets THE TITHE! Aaron gets a tenth of THAT!
This is so sad.

Try to keep up.

You moron!
What is described in that first verse REPRESENTS the income of these people!
The second verse is about what the tribe responsible for the temple gets for its service. It gets THE TITHE! Aaron gets a tenth of THAT!
This is so sad.

You need to look up the definition of "income".

The concept of Jesus that I strive for is not in a statue
but a slogan on the Supreme Court Building
EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW
and the slogans on the Houston Police Dept Seal:
ORDER THROUGH LAW, JUSTICE WITH MERCY

You may criticize "rich conservatives" as having their priorities wrong,
but Mitt Romney was the only candidate who spoke out for RULE OF LAW.

If we enforce equal justice, respect, and inclusion under the law, as a unified nation, we would not have these petty political problems dividing us, but would accept and embrace our differences and work together with we have, to make the most of the resources and advantages we are blessed to have. We would be thankful, not bitter, towards each other.

Cons don't believe the bible where Jesus says, "The son of man has no place to rest his head" because they don't like the poor and the homeless. One rich bitch called the cops on the church that had a statue of homeless Jesus on a park bench.

Statue of a homeless Jesus startles a wealthy community | 89.3 KPCC

I suggest you don't make really stupid statements about single houses holding entire communes if you want any kind of credibility.
If you are so inane to make that argument your discernment of scripture is pretty much worthless.

if you're arguing they were supposed to sell their homes and donating the proceeds to the church, where do you expect they were going to sleep the next night?.....

In communal housing, which often incorporates entire towns, as in a kibbutz.
Please stop. This is so embarrassing for you.
so, except for the fact they needed more than one house, I was right.....

Hey remember when Jesus tried to guilt the Romans into giving him public housing

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

"Where's the Section 8 voucher you promised, Pilate?" -- Jesus from The Gospel of Bruce

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

if you're arguing they were supposed to sell their homes and donating the proceeds to the church, where do you expect they were going to sleep the next night?.....

In communal housing, which often incorporates entire towns, as in a kibbutz.
Please stop. This is so embarrassing for you.
so, except for the fact they needed more than one house, I was right.....

agreed...but your claim was they had no choice except to give it all.....
It was the rule of the first church.

except for the fact that it wasn't.....

You were right about a commune being people living in one house, except for the part about them living in one house?
Why not just say you fucked up and be done with it? Why embarrass yourself further?
And I already posted the verse where it shows the economic rule they lived by. All in for everyone.
Period.
This is just silly and awkward now.

and I posted Peter saying it wasn't required of them.....and if your commune had five people in it would there be five houses?......if so, why bother to sell their house in the first place?......

and I posted Peter saying it wasn't required of them.....and if your commune had five people in it would there be five houses?......if so, why bother to sell their house in the first place?......

""32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need." "

Please stop.
People can actually see you.

I see no need to repeat what I have already posted.....they were free to do with their property whatever they wished.....so your claim that it was compelled is obviously false.....

You are all over the place with your logic and understanding there. Let's start with the basics. If someone finds $5 on a table can that be called charity? Even if it can not be called 'charity' is that not functionally the same as charity? If not, why?

If it was a gift given by God, perhaps. Charity requires a giver. Charity is an act of love towards someone. Finding something doesn't per se make it charity unless someone left it there to be found because of love towards another.

Government redistribution =/= charity

And personal redistribution is?

It can be. Government redistribution can never be.

Personal redistribution is voluntary, but is only charity when it's down out of love. If it's done for other purposes, not so much.

Government redistribution always involves force and compulsion. Thus, it can never be charity.

Forum List

Back