🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Rick Santorum Is Insane

MissileMan said:
A consequence of divorce...the kids can't live with both parents if the parents aren't living together Sue for custody if the arrangements aren't to your liking or get the visitation modified. Just bitching about it doesn't solve anything.

Again, you are speaking of something you know absolutely nothing about.

My attorney told me that if I wanted to the only way to be sole custody of my kids was for my (ex) wife to be in prison. Other than that, I would be the secondary custodial parent. She would be the primary.

Now...if I wanted to attempt to be primary custodial parent, I needed to make an anonymous call to DHS. Tell them I live down the street and just say the two girls running around in the street naked. DHS would send someone to investigate. Then in court, my attorney would ask her if she ever had DHS called to investigate a complaint. The answer of course would be yes and he would not allow any other statement from her to be made. Of course, her attorney would finish the questioning and everything would be clear.

In other words, I didn't stand a chance in hell of being the primary custodial parent.

Why? Because I was the dad.

dilloduck said:
:laugh: join the real world anytime.

Ahh, in my REAL world, my neighbor got custody of his two daughters from a California court 10 years ago. He gets child support payments from his ex-wife and she gets reasonable visitation. The decision wasn't because she was unfit, but because he was able to provide a more stable home based on income and the other family resources available at an AF base.

MissileMan said:
Ahh, in my REAL world, my neighbor got custody of his two daughters from a California court 10 years ago. He gets child support payments from his ex-wife and she gets reasonable visitation. The decision wasn't because she was unfit, but because he was able to provide a more stable home based on income and the other family resources available at an AF base.

....and because she didn't contest it.

The kids (and her) would have access to every service and facility at the AF base - the kids are still his dependents.

As to his income, had she received custody, the child support would have made up for the disparity in incomes.

MissileMan said:
Negative...he had to fight for it.

I suppose it is entirely possible that she had a crappy attorney and he had a good one but I think there is more to the story.

A judge is not going to decide primary custody based on income (when that can be made up with child support) and/or accessibility to an AF installation (the kids still have dependent I.D. cards because their dad is active duty).

There is more to the story.

dilloduck said:
If you think his situation is anywhere near the norm, you're crazy.

The neighbor isn't telling the whole story.

Believe me, if I stooped as low as to making the phone call to DHS and somehow ended up with primary custody, you think I would tell people what I did?

Hell no.

GotZoom said:
The neighbor isn't telling the whole story.

Believe me, if I stooped as low as to making the phone call to DHS and somehow ended up with primary custody, you think I would tell people what I did?

Hell no.

Ummmmmm....actually, my husband's cousin got custody of his daughter, too. He was able to prove, after a VERY long, costly litigation, that he was the better parent.

Believe it or not, some judges actually make good decisions.

jillian said:
Ummmmmm....actually, my husband's cousin got custody of his daughter, too. He was able to prove, after a VERY long, costly litigation, that he was the better parent.

Believe it or not, some judges actually make good decisions.

There are situations out there - albeit very few and far between, when a judge gets it right.

Must have been a conservative.

GotZoom said:
There are situations out there - albeit very few and far between, when a judge gets it right.

Must have been a conservative.

Yet women
choose to have sex or not
choose to abort or not

Are reproductive rights soley for women? Apparently so.

dilloduck said:
Yet women
choose to have sex or not
choose to abort or not

Are reproductive rights soley for women? Apparently so.

I'm with you, dillo! NO man should be forced to have sex against his will!

;)

dilloduck said:
PLEASE OH PLEASE DON"T MAKE ME HAVE SEX WITH YOU !!!!!!!!! :D

I'm a CONSERVATIVE woman, dillo. I know how to exercise self-control, no matter the temptation.

:D

Nienna said:
I'm a CONSERVATIVE woman, dillo. I know how to exercise self-control, no matter the temptation.

:D

I'm still keeping my eye on you just in case someone spikes your coffee with Zestra.:cool:

dilloduck said:
I'm still keeping my eye on you just in case someone spikes your coffee with Zestra.:cool:

See, I said you were a smart man. I can be a very dangerous woman. :D

MissileMan said:
As far as I know, IF, the father is paying support, he GETS visitation if he wants it.
At least in Illinois, even when the mother has sole custody, even when he is not paying owed support, he still has visitation rights, as long as he's not in jail for non-payment. (All this is based on his having visitation rights, of course).

GotZoom said:
You have so much to learn.

There are many fathers out there who pay child support without fail. However, when it comes to spending time with their child, the mom has all the say. It doesn't matter what is in the divorce decree. Mom will simply "forget" to tell Dad that she won't be home Saturday morning for him to pick up the kids. Or Mom will tell the kids that they can't do something special this weekend because "It's Dads weekend and you have to go with him."

All the mother has to do is make one phone call to the court/police, and they jump on her word without even checking to see if the story is true or not. I knew a guy who had the police pick him up at work so many times for failing to pay child support that it got to the point where he had to carry cancelled checks with him to prove it. It didn't matter though. The police still had to pick him up, take him to jail, process him and he spent the night until the next morning to appear before the judge. Then he would present his side of the story, the judge would release him and set a court date. He had to pay for an attorney just to show up in court to prive he wasn't behind in his child support. But because this was a child support case, the mom didn't have to show up; the prosecutor would be there, see the proof and the case would be thrown out of court. But he was arrested at work, forced to spend the night in jail, pay for an attorney, then miss another day of work to be in court.

He might have been proven right and the case thrown out, but to what expense?

The stories go on and on.

At least in Illinois, you are way off. IF the children are not there at the appointed time, the non-custodial parent can call the police and have the custodial parent charged with visitation interference. THIS holds even when the children refuse to go with the non-custodial parent.

Kathianne said:
At least in Illinois, you are way off. IF the children are not there at the appointed time, the non-custodial parent can call the police and have the custodial parent charged with visitation interference. THIS holds even when the children refuse to go with the non-custodial parent.

Right--it's always especially fun when the kids have the police give them from one parent to the other, leaving the non-custodial parent the choice of calling the cops and making a big scene or just leaving to keep his kids out of traumatic situations.

Forum List

Back