Right-Wing Billionaires Behind Mitt Romney

Right-Wing Billionaires Behind Mitt Romney | Politics News | Rolling Stone

They're trying to buy a presidency - and they expect a big payoff on their investment

The undisputed master of Super PAC money is Mitt Romney. In the primary season alone, Romney's rich friends invested $52 million in his Super PAC, Restore Our Future – a number that's expected to more than double in the coming months. This unprecedented infusion of money from America's monied elites underscores the radical transformation of the Republican Party, which has made defending the interests of 0.0001 percent the basis of its entire platform. "Money buys power," the Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman observed recently, "and the increasing wealth of a tiny minority has effectively bought the allegiance of one of our two major political parties." In short, the political polarization and gridlock in Washington are a direct result of the GOP's capitulation to Big Money.

That capitulation is evident in Romney's campaign. Most of the megadonors backing his candidacy are elderly billionaires: Their median age is 66, and their median wealth is $1 billion. Each is looking for a payoff that will benefit his business interests, and they will all profit from Romney's pledge to eliminate inheritance taxes, extend the Bush tax cuts for the superwealthy – and then slash the top tax rate by another 20 percent. Romney has firmly joined the ranks of the economic nutcases who spout the lie of trickle-down economics. "Support from billionaires has always been the main thing keeping those charlatans and cranks in business," Krugman noted. "And now the same people effectively own a whole political party."

Go for it. I have an umbrella, a tarp, and I'm wearing teflon undies.
So what would George Clooney and the couple of hundred people who showed up to pay 40,000 a plate to support Obama be? I'm pretty sure the middle class people do not have 40,000 laying around for something like that.

How come you guys make a claim and then jump to George Clooney.

First, George isn't trying to hide who he is.

Second, the press was invited so no one at the fundraiser was "hiding".

Third, the amount was actually about 15 million, but most of it came from an "online raffle" where people bought 15 dollar tickets and the winners went to the fundraiser.

Why don't Republicans do stuff like that? Instead of secret and hidden donations from billionaires? Bring it out into the open. Let everyone see.

They're trying to buy a presidency - and they expect a big payoff on their investment

So what would George Clooney and the couple of hundred people who showed up to pay 40,000 a plate to support Obama be? I'm pretty sure the middle class people do not have 40,000 laying around for something like that.

Third, the amount was actually about 15 million, but most of it came from an "online raffle" where people bought 15 dollar tickets and the winners went to the fundraiser.

Why don't Republicans do stuff like that? Instead of secret and hidden donations from billionaires? Bring it out into the open. Let everyone see.

I love where his guys got their money. What a bunch of class acts.

The undisputed master of Super PAC money is Mitt Romney. In the primary season alone, Romney's rich friends invested $52 million in his Super PAC, Restore Our Future – a number that's expected to more than double in the coming months. This unprecedented infusion of money from America's monied elites underscores the radical transformation of the Republican Party, which has made defending the interests of 0.0001 percent the basis of its entire platform. "Money buys power," the Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman observed recently, "and the increasing wealth of a tiny minority has effectively bought the allegiance of one of our two major political parties." In short, the political polarization and gridlock in Washington are a direct result of the GOP's capitulation to Big Money.

That capitulation is evident in Romney's campaign. Most of the megadonors backing his candidacy are elderly billionaires: Their median age is 66, and their median wealth is $1 billion. Each is looking for a payoff that will benefit his business interests, and they will all profit from Romney's pledge to eliminate inheritance taxes, extend the Bush tax cuts for the superwealthy – and then slash the top tax rate by another 20 percent. Romney has firmly joined the ranks of the economic nutcases who spout the lie of trickle-down economics. "Support from billionaires has always been the main thing keeping those charlatans and cranks in business," Krugman noted. "And now the same people effectively own a whole political party."

And how about the left wing billionaires like Zuckerman, Buffet and Soros who are supporting Obama.......I guess they don't want anything for their investment huh?????:eusa_whistle:

And how about the left wing billionaires like Zuckerman, Buffet and Soros who are supporting Obama.......I guess they don't want anything for their investment huh?????:eusa_whistle:

Whatever they're doing, it's not in secret.

You were the one who brought up millionaires Clooney is one.

Never said he was.

Wow a liberal press at a liberal actors political fundraiser for Obama shocking.

And your source for this is what?
Because most big name Hollywood types are Democrats there are not a lot of Republican celebrities people will pay 40,000 to have a meal with. As for hidden donations that is because people on the left turn around vilify them for donating to Republicans kind of like this thread.

I love where his guys got their money. What a bunch of class acts.
You mean they worked for it how dare they I suppose all the rich who donate to Obama are as clean as a angels ass.

ahh now thats the PPPoop we know and love.....:lol:

we've asked (we've always asked) for our moderation team to be courteous to the membership and act like a moderator. Flaming users left and right isn't something we want the people who lead the site doing. You should lead by example.

I still dare to dream.

I have told you before, that argument is weak and won't work on me......you mix it up, you mix it up, heat, kitchen see?

using that to silence anyone is cheap crude and altogether consistent with your character apparently so, it is what it is......

try making your case, you know the topic, instead of whining about childish crap..

:rolleyes:

I still dare to dream.

I have told you before, that argument is weak and won't work on me......you mix it up, you mix it up, heat, kitchen see?

using that to silence anyone is cheap crude and altogether consistent with your character apparently so, it is what it is......

try making your case, you know the topic, instead of whining about childish crap..

Posting isn't mixing it up. You call me names for no apparent reason.

Well, the reason is apparent. You are one of the dumbest fucks I've ever had the displeasure of encountering online.

You see a direct post from the man who administers this place, and it means nothing to you? You are a disrespectful ass.

Fuck off.

Whatever they're doing, it's not in secret.

None of its secret deanie....that's why you all know about it:cuckoo:

• Thanks
Reactions: del

I still dare to dream.

Teflon undies? NOT something I'd be proud of wearing...:eusa_whistle:

I still dare to dream.

Well, the reason is apparent. You are one of the dumbest fucks I've ever had the displeasure of encountering online.

You see a direct post from the man who administers this place, and it means nothing to you? You are a disrespectful ass.

Fuck off.

and there ya go....playing back to type, what happened to the teflon undies? :lol:

and you only use that because you're intellectually weak, you don't make arguments you emote via post with no contributing content, in short you're just a troll and even when prompted you don't make an argument you just burp up inane poo poo. and you act as if you don't do same ala names, snark etc...get over yourself and look in the mirror.

what he said doesn't buy you a pass in this context, get over it.

I will give Obama some credit in that regard. Probably while he was getting his pockets lined by one private equity firm he had his commercials rolling where he was pretending to be against another private equity firm doing the same things.

And you're right he doesn't even hide it. He just says, hey guys I'm a hypocrite but I know you don't care, you're too well programmed to vote otherwise.

we've asked (we've always asked) for our moderation team to be courteous to the membership and act like a moderator. Flaming users left and right isn't something we want the people who lead the site doing. You should lead by example.

I still dare to dream.

Personal attacks directed at moderators AS moderators is a no no. But then you know that don't you?

I still dare to dream.

Fuck off.

Gee breaking the rules again. Funny how when ever someone questions a left of center mod they get banned and reminded that what a mod posts as aprivate poster has nothing to do with them as a mod.

Oh, excellent. This totally rocks. Mucho gracias.

so because obama's super pacs have incompetent fundraisers, they don't count?

that's fucking sweet :lol:

you should quit while you're behind

Suuuuure Del ... That's what it means. :eusa_shhh: :eusa_eh:

what it means is exactly what del said, AND he inferred intended or not;)...

were you whining when Obama out raised McCain almost 2-1?

where was your outrage when obama blew off campaign financing after pledging to use it, (and there was no citizen united then). he just thought that he could raise more $$$$ and breaking his word meant diddly.... McCain said he would and did.

see? this is what I mean by intellectually weak, if you are going to engage in this back and forth put your big girl panties on, go get yourself informed, dig in, make an argument or don't post lame OP's, that are so easily refuted ( not that you ever defended anything outside, like I said, the one liners anyway).

in short put up, or shut up or at the very least don't whine when you're deconstructed to the point that all thats left to do is giggle at you.

I still dare to dream.

Fuck off.

Surely you've met truthmatters, rdean and synthaholic haven't you?

Last edited:
I still dare to dream.

Fuck off.
BeeDee? If you feel so strongly? WHY are you here?

Fuck off.

Gee breaking the rules again. Funny how when ever someone questions a left of center mod they get banned and reminded that what a mod posts as aprivate poster has nothing to do with them as a mod.
Really? Whenever? You, of course, have evidence to back that accusation up....right? And before you clutch at your pearls, notice I am NOT writing this post in red.

Look forward to your EVIDENCE of bias by our "left of center" mods.

Forum List

Back