Risk of man-caused mass extinction within decades

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
From CNN

Sixth extinction: 20 years to stop ecological collapse - CNN.com

"(CNN)The Earth's next mass extinction -- the first caused by people -- is on the horizon. And the consequences are almost unthinkably dire: Three-quarters of species could disappear.

This has happened only five times in the planet's history -- including the mass extinction that killed the dinosaurs.
What's different now is that humans are causing these changes."

"Another frightening data point in this trend toward extinction emerged on Thursday in a report from the World Wildlife Fund, an environmental advocacy group. The report claims 58% declines in certain vertebrate animal populations since 1970 and says that if trends continue, then two-thirds of all of these individual birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals will be gone by 2020."

"I agree with Pimm that these numbers can be misleading, but that's only if people misunderstand them. I also spoke with Anthony Barnosky, executive director of the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve at Stanford University. He told me the most important thing to remember is that this report is limited in scope -- it has little data from some important tropical regions, for example, and only covers animals with backbones. But it highlights an important and little-considered fact: It's not just that species are going extinct at an alarming rate -- at least 100 times what could be considered "normal," and maybe much higher than that -- but that populations of still-common animals are declining very rapidly."

"Species are going extinct at... at least 100 times what could be consideered "normal"" Nothing to worry about. Man's influence on the climate is beneficial to life. God guarantees it.

Right.

millennials are probably pretty concerned but that's about the only group that's concerned [they are so dumb] . I was through the so called Global cooling and coming ice age back in the early 70s which never affected anyone that I know of . These scientific pseudo experts and their Hollywood spokes people are pretty much 'fos' .

That's not what the data say.
Thats the truth..........maybe if more countries were developed enough to sustain an economy that didnt require eating anything that moves this wouldnt be happening

You seem to be contradicting yourself. And the extinctions taking place now and foreseen into the future have nothing to do with what we're eating. The cow, the chicken and the pig are extremely unlikely to experience population losses.

From CNN

"(CNN)The Earth's next mass extinction -- the first caused by people -- is on the horizon. And the consequences are almost unthinkably dire: Three-quarters of species could disappear.

This has happened only five times in the planet's history -- including the mass extinction that killed the dinosaurs.

"Another frightening data point in this trend toward extinction emerged on Thursday in a report from the World Wildlife Fund, an environmental advocacy group. The report claims 58% declines in certain vertebrate animal populations since 1970 and says that if trends continue, then two-thirds of all of these individual birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals will be gone by 2020."

"I agree with Pimm that these numbers can be misleading, but that's only if people misunderstand them. I also spoke with Anthony Barnosky, executive director of the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve at Stanford University. He told me the most important thing to remember is that this report is limited in scope -- it has little data from some important tropical regions, for example, and only covers animals with backbones. But it highlights an important and little-considered fact: It's not just that species are going extinct at an alarming rate -- at least 100 times what could be considered "normal," and maybe much higher than that -- but that populations of still-common animals are declining very rapidly."

"Species are going extinct at... at least 100 times what could be consideered "normal"" Nothing to worry about. Man's influence on the climate is beneficial to life. God guarantees it.

Right.

Yes, we've been displacing, killing and eating other critters since we first came on the scene.

millennials are probably pretty concerned but that's about the only group that's concerned [they are so dumb] . I was through the so called Global cooling and coming ice age back in the early 70s which never affected anyone that I know of . These scientific pseudo experts and their Hollywood spokes people are pretty much 'fos' .
Good God. This old strawman again. No, the majority of scientists did not predict global cooling in the 70's.

What 1970s science said about global cooling

A new paper exposing the myth of 70s global cooling

Over time, William Connelly has been steadily documenting 70s research predicting global cooling. It's a rich resource but as he admits, could be more accessible. Now he has collaborated with Thomas Peterson and John Fleck to publish The Myth of the 1970's Global Cooling Scientific Consensus, due to be published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.

The paper surveys climate studies from 1965 to 1979 (and in a refreshing change to other similar surveys, lists all the papers). They find very few papers (7 in total) predict global cooling. This isn't surprising. What surprises is that even in the 1970s, on the back of 3 decades of cooling, more papers (42 in total) predict global warming due to CO2 than cooling.

1970s_papers.gif

Figure 1: Number of papers classified as predicting future global cooling (blue) or warming (red). In no year were there more global cooling papers than global warming papers.

So in fact, the large majority of climate research in the 1970s predicted the Earth would warm as a consequence of CO2. Rather than climate science predicting cooling, the opposite is the case. Most interesting about Peterson's paper is not the debunking of an already well debunked skeptic argument but a succinct history of climate science over the 20th century, describing how scientists from different fields gradually pieced together their diverse findings into a more unified picture of how climate operates. A must read paper.

You seem extraordinarily uninformed on this topic. Why don't you do some actual reading and get back to us about pseudo experts and Hollywood spokespeople?

From CNN

Right.

Yes, we've been displacing, killing and eating other critters since we first came on the scene.
So, let us just continue to do so until the natural world no longer exists. That seems to be what you are saying. One hell of an attitude there, boy.

From CNN

Right.

So, let us just continue to do so until the natural world no longer exists. That seems to be what you are saying. One hell of an attitude there, boy.

So, let us just continue to do so until the natural world no longer exists.

What are your suggestions to end this massacre?

From CNN

Right.

We've never affected ecosystems at the rate we are now doing. Its pretty much unprecedented.

From CNN

Right.

We've never affected ecosystems at the rate we are now doing. Its pretty much unprecedented.

Yes, people need space and water and food.

Thats the truth..........maybe if more countries were developed enough to sustain an economy that didnt require eating anything that moves this wouldnt be happening

You seem to be contradicting yourself. And the extinctions taking place now and foreseen into the future have nothing to do with what we're eating. The cow, the chicken and the pig are extremely unlikely to experience population losses.
Most of the extinctions will happen where they dont have staples like that and eat anything that moves ergo extinction

all kindsa deer / venison , turkey , ducks , geese , pheasant , quail , squirrel, elk . Also huge herds of beef , sheep , hogs , chickens and other food stuffs where I am . And then the huge fields of potatoes , corn , squash , beans , wheat , barley , squash , yada , yada , yada and it goes on forever . Course you and the millennials can be concerned but I am not concerned . Natural is fine but man made , man grown is just as good and is more reliable for human use and harvesting , eating and cooking Crick .

From CNN

Right.

Uh huh..... sure............

In the 70s the coming ice age was going to kill us all. In the 80s hairspray was going to kill us all. By 2010 New York City was going to be permanently flooded.

the-boy-who-cried-wolf.jpg

Dont worry though...prominent libs are cooking up ways to depopulate the planet to save it..........

The data doesn't say shit. It's another Doom's Day hypothesis that you whack jobs have been pushing on us for decades, none of which have come to fruition. Start building your bunker, though, if it makes you feel better.

Forum List

Back