Rosa Parks statue just unveiled

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Watched it on TV news just now.

Boehner looked like he has swallowed yet another hair ball. And, really orange.

I wonder if they House has finally come back from vacation.

Conservatives can counter with a statue of Bull Connor when they take over

Rosa Parks is a genuine American Hero.

But, I must admit that I've always wondered if her refusal to give up a seat was really spontaneous because she was tired, or if it was planned.

Is she a notable person deserving of some recognition?...yes.
A "national hero"....no, not even close really.
First of all, she is not even close to the only one who did what she did - and several other women did it before her.
There were many others on the front lines of the civil rights movement who were beaten, and got back up, churches burned down - but continued on.
Others died while on the road for civil rights...Rosa Parks? No.

Yep, Rosa was hero.

Btw, she was just saving a seat for "most interesting man in the World" - Dos Equis guy. :)

One does not have to die to be an American hero but she most certainty was just that.

Whether planned or spontaneous, she was of an era where Americans were shot, beaten, had dogs set on them and hanged for being black. It would not matter that she was a woman and she was literally risking her life when she sat in that seat and refused to move.

I don't care if she did it with full intent planned well in advance or if it just kind of happened because she was just plain tired.

I am glad she did it.

I am glad she got lots of coverage for it.

I am glad it ended up aiding the Civil Rights Movement.

Rosa was the real deal.

But, I must admit that I've always wondered if her refusal to give up a seat was really spontaneous because she was tired, or if it was planned.

She worked for the local NAACP....it was planned

But brave nonetheless. Back then, they would kill you for making waves

A true American Patriot

Last edited:
Hero? ........ Nope

Just a black woman who had bunions on her feet and wanted to sit down......... :cool:

She worked for the local NAACP....it was planned

But brave nonetheless. Back then, they would kill you for making waves

Not a woman, and not for a bus seat.
The women that did it before her in the 1940's and 50's who were NOT a member of a group - who were alone - they are more of a hero than Rosa Parks. That took serious guts.
The Rosa "incident", although was not specifically planned for that particular day, had been discussed and she knew she was going to get the support of an ever growing organization. The women before her - had no one.
In my opinion, it would have been better if the statue was one that commemorated all of the brave women that did it - not just Rosa Parks - that is all I am saying.

First of all, she is not even close to the only one who did what she did - and several other women did it before her.
There were many others on the front lines of the civil rights movement who were beaten, and got back up, churches burned down - but continued on.

No question Rosa Parks was a symbol for her movement. She was arrested and could have faced more severe treatment from local terrorists

Rep John Lewis led a march across the bridge at Selma and was beaten unconscious with a nightstick. All without retaliating

Others were more severely beaten or murdered. But Parks remains the spark that provoked the Birmingham bus boycott

Conservatives can counter with a statue of Bull Connor when they take over

Do you mean Bull Connor, the famous Alabama racist, who was also elected the Democratic National Committeeman for the state of Alabama in 1960?

Before you make a FOOL of yourself, brush up on your history. The vast majority of the racist governors and law enforcement people in the south during the civil rights movement, were DEMOCRATS.

You are either a LIAR BY OMISSION or an ignorant fool. I'll let you pick which one. :eusa_hand:

The rosa parks myth is just that. She was no seamstress. She was a union organizer with the Textile Worker's Union. She was also the secretary of the local NAACP. Not the simple seamstress as portrayed. She took an action deliberately designed to be provocative, because it was planned that way.

ROSA PARKS: Communist-trained Agitator | Newsnet 14

She planned this action, complete with fabricated back story, to call attention to the plight of black people forced to sit in the back of the bus. That's not so bad that it needs a myth to make her more sympathetic. They could have told the truth.

Hero? ........ Nope

Just a black woman who had bunions on her feet and wanted to sit down......... :cool:

She didn't even have bunions. She wasn't even a seamstress. It was all a lie because no one would sympathize with a union executive or an NAACP secretary.

The rosa parks myth is just that. She was no seamstress. She was a union organizer with the Textile Worker's Union. She was also the secretary of the local NAACP. Not the simple seamstress as portrayed. She took an action deliberately designed to be provocative, because it was planned that way.

She planned this action, complete with fabricated back story, to call attention to the plight of black people forced to sit in the back of the bus. That's not so bad that it needs a myth to make her more sympathetic. They could have told the truth.

Does ANY of this "background noise" matter? What Rosa Parks did was monumental.

I don't care if it was pre-planned or not. She put her safety, and life, on the line in the name of civil rights and equality.

Rosa Parks a "communist"? Ridiculous.

I don't care if it was pre-planned or not. She put her safety, and life, on the line in the name of civil rights and equality.

Of course she was a communist. That's almost beside the point. Her act was planned, right along with the reaction to it. Right along with the planned marches and protests. Here they have all those marches and protests all ready to go. They just need a trigger. So they made one.

"Monumental"........ Nope

She was a trained plant and a paid shill for the civil rights movement.

And yes, many like her were professional agitators and communist members and sympathizers......... :cool:

That's like saying Paul Revere is not an American Hero because William Dawes made a ride too. Or, that Nathan Hale isn't an American Hero because others were hanged by the British too. Or, that Douglas McArthur isn't an American Hero because there were other generals in the Pacific.

That's like saying Paul Revere is not an American Hero because William Dawes made a ride too. Or, that Nathan Hale isn't an American Hero because others were hanged by the British too. Or, that Douglas McArthur isn't an American Hero because there were other generals in the Pacific.
^^^ All of those were true patriotic heros.

Rosa Parks was a manufactured hero........... :cool:

Forum List

Back